Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I currently own the Onkyo 805 receiver and I recently bought the Pioneer SC95 receiver. I want to know if you can actually hear a difference between receivers? I am not speaking of the new sound formats just simply based on the amp and DAC for example. I know when I receive it I will find out if I can actually hear a difference but I wanted the opinions of others here based on their experience.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
With different flavors of room correction there will be differences as to how it sounds also if your receivers amp section is not string enough and goes into distortion sound will be affected. As far as the 805 amp section is concerned there are few receivers out there that can touch it.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With different flavors of room correction there will be differences as to how it sounds also if your receivers amp section is not string enough and goes into distortion sound will be affected. As far as the 805 amp section is concerned there are few receivers out there that can touch it.
Thank you Tony. Now how is the amp section on the Pioneer SC95? How can I find out about the amp other than the wattage specs? Is MCACC Pro pretty good?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Well the Pioneer has a class D amp section so its hard to say but I would think its up to the task of driving most speakers. MCACC is decent, some like it some dont. Try it and see is about all I can say.

Reactions: asere

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
no, not likely. Again its more likely to be Room EQ or some other processing.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Agreed, because I've heard cheaper receivers voice better. They were not side by side, so you have to allow for room differences as well as speaker differences.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Can this be because of better DAC's?
I'm going to say it absolutely can be because of better DAC's. My Marantz makes lowly MP3 music sound great. Whereas with the Onkyo certain MP3's were almost unlistenable.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I'm going to say it absolutely can be because of better DAC's. My Marantz makes lowly MP3 music sound great. Whereas with the Onkyo certain MP3's were almost unlistenable.
But were you using direct USB with your old 809 (cant recall if it had that)? or optical. If your 809 was using an analog connection for the mp3 player you were using the players internal DAC. Receivers DACs are much better.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
But were you using direct USB with your old 809 (cant recall if it had that)? If your 809 was using an analog connection for the mp3 player you were using the players internal DAC. Receivers DACs are much better.
No, both have been wireless when I play MP3's.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IDK I am tempted to keep the SC95. It looks like a beefy receiver with Dual Sabre DAC compared to my Onkyo 805 older Bur Brown one. It arrives tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
IDK I am tempted to keep the SC95. It looks like a beefy receiver with Dual Sabre DAC compared to my Onkyo 805 older Bur Brown one. It arrives tomorrow.
I don't think you'll hear any difference in regards to the amplification. Room correction and DAC's are a different story. I say get it dialed in and decide for yourself.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I don't think you'll hear any difference in regards to the amplification. Room correction and DAC's are a different story. I say get it dialed in and decide for yourself.
Yeah, for some reason I do not like the Audyssey XT that is on the 805 because it tames the subs too much perhaps because of the flatter response but somehow I don't like that it does that. I could also be puck mic that the 805 came with that is causing that in my room.

Do you guys know if MCACC flattens the sub response as much as Audyssey?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Sorry, I don't know much about MCACC. I've helped a friend get a Pioneer setup but this was some time ago. The thing that stood out to me was the user interface while setting it up. It was a pain in the you know what because the setup menu wouldn't show on the tv over HDMI. Maybe they've changed that by now.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sorry, I don't know much about MCACC. I've helped a friend get a Pioneer setup but this was some time ago. The thing that stood out to me was the user interface while setting it up. It was a pain in the you know what because the setup menu wouldn't show on the tv over HDMI. Maybe they've changed that by now.
No worries, I will tinker with it and see how it goes.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Yeah, for some reason I do not like the Audyssey XT that is on the 805 because it tames the subs too much perhaps because of the flatter response but somehow I don't like that it does that. I could also be puck mic that the 805 came with that is causing that in my room. Do you guys know if MCACC flattens the sub response as much as Audyssey?
I'd have to dig on this... But I don't think MCACC has as many points of correction in the sub frequency (as Audyssey). As for its effect on your sub in your room, that's an unknown that you'll have to discover ;-). Remember, placement first then EQ... Dial your sub in using that order (which, I know you know).

I think you'll be very pleased with MCACC Pro. MCACC is a solid, well developed, suite. If you feel like you want more control in the sub range, you can certainly look to REW used in concert with a Berhinger Feedback Destroyer or a miniDSP.

As for overall sound... That's a hot button topic! ;-). I think, for some of the reasons listed, you can certainly hear a difference among AVRs. The Class D amp used by Pioneer was considered to be a little thin sounding years ago... But your amp has a generation-three Amp design... I've heard nothing but good things about its performance. I would be shocked if you run set-up and finding anything short of great sound. And, as a plus, it will run extremely cool.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Receivers do not all sound alike and yes, the built in dac's can and usually do make a substantial difference.

Reactions: asere

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'd have to dig on this... But I don't think MCACC has as many points of correction in the sub frequency (as Audyssey). As for its effect on your sub in your room, that's an unknown that you'll have to discover ;-). Remember, placement first then EQ... Dial your sub in using that order (which, I know you know).

I think you'll be very pleased with MCACC Pro. MCACC is a solid, well developed, suite. If you feel like you want more control in the sub range, you can certainly look to REW used in concert with a Berhinger Feedback Destroyer or a miniDSP.

As for overall sound... That's a hot button topic! ;-). I think, for some of the reasons listed, you can certainly hear a difference among AVRs. The Class D amp used by Pioneer was considered to be a little thin sounding years ago... But your amp has a generation-three Amp design... I've heard nothing but good things about its performance. I would be shocked if you run set-up and finding anything short of great sound. And, as a plus, it will run extremely cool.
Thanks I'll have some fun with the Pioneer plus I have 15 day return window in case I don't like it. Also the Pioneer has auto phase control that analyses the phase in real time in the background every 30 seconds. If that's even important.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 25 Posts