Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've taken some measurements and I have some pretty nasty dips and peaks. The big peak is about 10dB more than the curve. I was pondering whether I should get a BFD so I can try and smooth some of these things out. I've tried moving the subwoofer around, but that only made the peak worse.

I've been a little disappointed with the low bass from my sonosub, but I think that is because I am turning it the level down so the 40-60hz range wasn't so boomy and loud. So what do y'all think?

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So with the BFD I've read I could connect it to my E-MU 0404 with MIDI and just send the filter corrections straight to the BFD and that's it? I don't need to have the midi cable connected after I send it over?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Yeah, you can send the filters with a midi cable (or enter them manually).

The midi cable is only for loading the filters - that's it.

brucek

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anywhere I can get a BFD1124 cheaper than $100? Hopefully this is the last thing I have to buy for a while. This is a pretty expensive hobby, but worth it.

·
Friend of the Shack
1,356 Posts
I don't need a MIDI to USB right? Just a straight up MIDI to MIDI cable?
Depends. You don't actually need the MIDI cable at all, if you don't mind entering the filter values by hand. It's not that hard, but the MIDI connection does streamline things a bit. Still, the BFD will be 100% functional for EQing your sub with or without the MIDI connection.

If your PC (it was on my sound card as a game port or something) has a MIDI output, you'll need a MIDI cable with the MIDI connectors on one end and the game port thing on the other end. I'm not sure if there's a common PC output that would just take a MIDI to MIDI cable. I admit that I'm not terribly familiar with MIDI.

If your PC doesn't have any type of MIDI output, then the easiest way is to just get the USB to MIDI cable.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got my BFD setup today. Wow. I really cannot thank you guys enough. I sent my filters across with an MIDI cable without a hitch. First movie I had to plop in was Black Hawk down. I went straight to the "Irene" scene. I could literally feel the helicopter as it was taking off. Before, I could barely feel it at all. The people in the other room said that the ceiling fan was vibrating.

I really cannot wait to watch other movies and re-watch some with the BFD installed. I have no idea why I didn't do it sooner.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
This thread should almost be a clinical study - your first graph was so good and the measurement showed such a clear hump that would be easy to treat that even I knew how much you were going to love the results.

Happy for you! I still remember when I first eq'd a sub and got rid of a hump like that. Doing eq right is as good as getting the sub in the first place, isn't it.

enjoy!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hello all,

I have the same problem (needing to lower the overall sub volume to avoid "boominess"). I am hoping to have that deep bass back into my music and movies as well. Received the BFD today, now just waiting on the MIDI cable...

Joe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Getting back to the OP.
Do you need BFD??

Ummm,yes you do..at least something that does EQ.
I'm sure atm your bass may sound a bit FAT and slow.
With eq although it may sound leaner it'll be more accurate.
By that you should hear is the individual bass notes rather then the usual boom boom!
What the EQ wil do is reduce the doubling up of certain bass frequencies (floor bounce)
that bloats the sound..

Don't worry you're not alone here,most systems need some EQ ( they just don't know it yet)!

PS still an EQ newbie here, finding his way!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Getting back to the OP.
Do you need BFD??

Ummm,yes you do..at least something that does EQ.
I'm sure atm your bass may sound a bit FAT and slow.
With eq although it may sound leaner it'll be more accurate.
By that you should hear is the individual bass notes rather then the usual boom boom!
What the EQ wil do is reduce the doubling up of certain bass frequencies (floor bounce)
that bloats the sound..

Don't worry you're not alone here,most systems need some EQ ( they just don't know it yet)!

PS still an EQ newbie here, finding his way!
I already bought one and posted about it above. It is really amazing what just a simple EQ can do.

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
And just to pile on to the OPs response, see just above where his words were: "I have no idea why I didn't do it sooner."

For those of you thinking about it, ask around for someone near you who's done it, and ask for a demonstration of what the difference is like. IMO it can be as much difference as getting the sub in the first place. And also IMO it's far better to get an adequate sub and eq it than it is to get a great sub that doesnt' respond well in the room.

I used to do figure out the adjustments using frequency sweeps from Avia. Had to watch the SPL meter and try to track the SPL to the frequency on the screen in real time - it usually took several runs to try to get close to the peak level and the frequency, much less the width. Long, slow and boring. Then after attempting an adjustment, repeat that whole process. :thud: But I had Wow! moments of bass clarity even with that technique that made it all worthwhile.

Using REW and getting good accurate visual data has made it MUCH easier even if I had to do my own ciphering and then remeasure. But also being able to let the program figure out placement of the filters, and/or simulating my own, and having it show a visual prediction the results, so that all I have to do is match the settings on my PEQ. :yay:

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Hope Dano doesn't mind me jumping on his bandwagon.

enjoy!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts