Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I really need to use REW if my receiver has auto calibration? I have a Yamaha 663 receiver with the auto room calibration feature, and I have run this a couple times to set everything but I am not sure if I should go ahead and run REW or not. Would I really benefit from using it?

I have two sub woofers and a 7.1 system/speaker set up. Although the Auto Calibration told me to set the cross over freq to max, not sure if that meant all the way to 120 or down to 50. The sub-woofers I have are not exactly the same, one is a DCM bottom firing 10" and the other is a Polk 8" front firing.

Any suggestions?

I have the REW software on a MacBook, and I believe I have calibrated it correctly. And I also have a Radio Shack digital sound meter.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Definately run it.

Auto cal. in a receiver is not 100% by any means, REW wil point out where it missed.

Having 2 subs only increases the chance of there being a problem, might as well find out now.

I'd set XO at 50 before 120, but really, 80 might be best if its an option. Try both 50 then 80. your ears should be your guide in this.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I am game for running it, but assume I know nothing :whistling: Now that I have my sound card calibrated such as it is. I do not have a BFD so I would assume by the setup instructions I am going to use just the right in and out's. Right in on the sound meter and right in for the receiver?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I consider myself an intelligent person but I am having some difficulty figure out the specifics on what to measure for what type of connections. Most of the diagrams show connections to the BFD but none if you just have a receiver. And most seem to talk about measuring your subs/low freq. Are there any tutorials or step by step how to's. Sorry to be so ignorant.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Me too, and I had issues last month when I ran it, look for my thread, you'll see as I posted my issues, the experienced members here answered them. If you notice my first post, I outlined my equipment and room size, you can start there.

BFD is optional, not required, I don't have one.

You MUST HOWEVER read the first post, the stickied thread of REW info.

Find the 'GUIDES' section, then read the first 3 bullets, skip the 4th as its about BFD. I used this diagram from the guides section, minus the BFD part of course;

Attachments

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Do I really need to use REW if my receiver has auto calibration? ...
It seems that you're starting to have fun calibrating everything after the build ... :bigsmile:

Is okay to have two subs, but is preferred to have two similar ... by the way: Did you do the crawling test or just placed them in the front wall??? :huh:

When you get REW running ... calibrate one sub at a time, then combine their response to get the best out of the system :yes:

REW looks intimidating, but after a couple of measurements you'll see how easy is to use :bigsmile:

Hopefully you won't need a BFD ... after you run REW try to adjust the response with your receiver EQ (I have the RXV 2700 and that's what I did) and I'm happy with the results :yes:

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It seems that you're starting to have fun calibrating everything after the build ... :bigsmile:
That's me! Backwards Carl :neener: I di the seating and screen size that way too :crying: But I came out okay there :T

Is okay to have two subs, but is preferred to have two similar ... by the way: Did you do the crawling test or just placed them in the front wall??? :huh:
Nope, I just stuck them there. I went for the hard way first :coocoo:

When you get REW running ... calibrate one sub at a time, then combine their response to get the best out of the system :yes:
Ididn't think of that, THANKS!

REW looks intimidating, but after a couple of measurements you'll see how easy is to use :bigsmile:
I sure hope so.

Hopefully you won't need a BFD ... after you run REW try to adjust the response with your receiver EQ (I have the RXV 2700 and that's what I did) and I'm happy with the results :yes:
I have the Yamaha RX-V663 I am hoping it has some way to manualy adjust things.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do the BFD's make that big of a difference? And what about if you don;t have all the acoustical treatments, does it help? Lastly I am confused on which model to get if I did get one. They seem to be very inexpensive.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Do the BFD's make that big of a difference? ...
It will depend on your frequency response ... sometimes with the adjustment on the AVR and if you're not to picky, it will be okay. :bigsmile:

And what about if you don;t have all the acoustical treatments, does it help? ...
The first step (before buying a BFD) is to get accoustic panels, bass traps, etc. ... that will help with the frequency response too, then get the BFD if need it ... :yes:

Lastly I am confused on which model to get if I did get one. They seem to be very inexpensive.
I think most get the 1124 ... it cost less than $100 price comparison yes:

I'm sure that the RXV663 and RXV 2700 are similar to adjust ... after the auto calibration, go to the main menu set up; you'll find the parametric equalizer, there you can adjust the sound (you have to play with that for some time until you get the response you want; what I did was to adjust one frequency at a time and use REW to see the changes; then another change and REW, then another and REW, etc.) :yes:

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Use the standard scale for subwoofers with your graphs.

Vertical axis = 45dB-105dB
Horizontal axis = 15Hz-200Hz

brucek

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Use the standard scale for subwoofers with your graphs.

Vertical axis = 45dB-105dB
Horizontal axis = 15Hz-200Hz

Measure subwoofers with the mains turned off and the subs fed from the receiver in stereo mode with the crossover set.

brucek

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am having trouble figuring out how to turn off my main speakers and leave on the subs :-( the manual does not seem to help, do i just need to disconnect the other speakers, that will not hurt anything will it?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
am having trouble figuring out how to turn off my main speakers and leave on the subs
Unplug the speaker cables at the receiver (with the power off, of course). That's it......

You only need to disconnect the mains, since you always test with the receiver in stereo mode, so the mains will be the only speakers enabled.

No, it won't hurt anything. No speakers, no current.......

brucek

1 - 20 of 38 Posts