Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I built a full marty sub box a few years ago and ran it with an iNuke amp and used the DSP to set a HPF and it sounded great. Now I have replaced that sub with a pair of vented end tables and I am giving the old full marty box to my brother and he is going to put a single Dayton Classic 15" in it and use an old plate amp off of another sub he is currently using. The issue is that he does not have a HPF anywhere to protect the sub from self-destructing around the 14hz range. He is putting this together on the cheap and does not want to buy a Mini DSP, but I don't know the chances of him actually blowing the sub. I don't know how many movies or songs actually have bass this low. Do you think he would be safe without a HPF, or is it absolutely necessary? Thanks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I was leaning toward, but I didn't want to be responsible for blowing a brand new sub. Thanks Wayne!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Or plays an analog record or a bad recording with DC present.

Cheap and easy solution is a pair of FMod's at RCA level to the amp.

$30US will prevent any issues. These mean slightly more gain at the amp needed because they are a bit lossy, but provide good bang for your buck.
google " amazon FMOD Crossover Pair 20 Hz High Pass"

·
Registered
100 Posts
Only if your subwoofer unloads below tuning at full power. Vented, BP6, and TH enclosures usually require a HPF to prevent over excursion below tuning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts