Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm new to the forum, and I'm trying to learn about folded horns. I'd like to try a subwoofer project after seeing some pretty cool designs. I've read quite a few posts on quite a few forums and I'm still not sure if I understand all the parts/area of horn design. I've sketched out a schematic and attached it as a PDF. I'm punching numbers into HornResp and trying to understand what a throat adapter is among other things.

I've color coded the rear volume, what I think is the throat adapter, and 3 sections of the horn. I've seen some designs with a compression chamber, and I'm wondering if my two first sections, are really the compression chamber. Then that would mean my tapered part is the real horn. Or should I taper all the way to section 1? Then do I need to make sure section 2's area matches the area of the cone?

Basically I thought i had a grasp and had a good horn laid out. The I read another post that made me think section 1 needed to start with a cross section equal to the area of the woofer cone. Suddenly my horn was way too short.

Thanks in advance, tons of cool posts here, this is an awesome forum.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts

That pic is taken from Maxmercy's thread on how to make an offset horn design.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1211856/simple-offset-driver-hornresp-tutorial-how-to-design-your-own-bass-horn

There are lots of variables when designing a horn. So once you simulate a few offset horns, tapped horns and others it will all come to.

S1 can vary. The opening can also vary. Doesnt have to be a perfect opening for the woofer. S2 is your compression. Sd/S2 for your compression ratio. You can do a 3, 4 or more segment horn also.

I am only scratching the surface here. Was there a speaker you were trying to horn load?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
THX chrapladm, sorry I dropped off the radar for a couple months. I've been tied up acquiring parts for my build and cleaning up the garage to make space. I did end up going with the THT for now and I'll try to design and build my own next. Thanks for the info and pointer, I'll read up on it!

·
Premium Member
5,869 Posts
THT is a great sub. There are a few others out there that might perform better but Bill's plans are worth it. I built my THT a while back and loved it. Great horn, easy directions and I only used about 28V at max volume. Just a killer horn. Congrats. :T

1 - 4 of 4 Posts