Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm in the middle for my sonotube (Formatube) sonosub build. I just got the tubing today and have cut it to size. However, the walls look very thin - about 9mm (3/8"). The 610mm diameter tubes are cut to 1390mm long each. Should I internally brace them or not? Will the walls resonate if I don't brace them? Should I use eggshell lining instead of bracing? I have heard stuffing is unnecessary although I know a lot of people do it..?

Cheers,
Blue

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
I've seen large diameter sonotubes such as yours braced and unbraced. It wouldn't hurt to install a couple of bracing rings that are 2 inches wide. I can tell you from personall experience that lining the walls and top endcap will stop the sub from sounding "boomy". Some people use fiberlass insulation or poly batting. I've found egg crate foam to be cheap and easy to install.

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
I second what Steve said. Because these tubes are perfectly round there is no way for it to bend or flex other than to stretch. As the internal forces are from pressure it means that the material would actually have to stretch to deform. These tubes are designed to hold thousands of pounds of concrete while it hardens, so there's not much to worry about there. I would suggest putting a couple of extra rings of MDF on top of the tub for weight though to dampen up down motion.

G

·
I'm in the middle for my sonotube (Formatube) sonosub build. I just got the tubing today and have cut it to size. However, the walls look very thin - about 9mm (3/8"). The 610mm diameter tubes are cut to 1390mm long each. Should I internally brace them or not? Will the walls resonate if I don't brace them? Should I use eggshell lining instead of bracing? I have heard stuffing is unnecessary although I know a lot of people do it..?

Cheers,
Blue

I am considering building a sonosub as opposed to a conventional woofer. What do most people use for the tubing?? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks ROB

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sourced mine from a small local building supplier.

The stuff's called 'Formatube'
Manufactured by: Sonoco Australia Pty Ltd (so I'm guessing it's 'Sonotube')
Distributed by: Boral Formwork & Scaffolding
Sydney: 02 9780 6500
Brisbane: 07 3265 2266

I purchased a 3m length of 610mm internal diameter wide tube to build 2 x sonosubs for the Mach 5 IXL-18s. It's about 9mm thick. Should do the trick nicely :yes:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Where is "here" for you? You could call a large construction company in your area, and ask them where they would get round concrete forms, maybe they even have a chunk left over from a job you could get cheap.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts