Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I currently do not have a subwoofer, I run my Klipsch RF-7s as Large and the rest of my speakers as Small. At -15 dB on the volume nob, if I play the THX intro at the beginning of the newer Star Wars movies, the woofers on my RF-7s move A LOT. The bass that comes from the RF-7s at these volumes is pretty much subwoofer like. If I watch a bass-heavy movie at -15 dB or higher on the volume nob, my RF-7s start to move around on my tiled floor. My RF-7s weigh 90 pounds each.

Since the PB13-Ultra weighs 155 pounds, I doubt it will move or "dance around" at high volumes. Am I correct? But what about the PC13-Ultra? It also weighs 90 pounds like my main speakers and will it also "dance around" like my RF-7s on my tiled floor?

·
Registered
392 Posts
Since I currently do not have a subwoofer, I run my Klipsch RF-7s as Large and the rest of my speakers as Small. At -15 dB on the volume nob, if I play the THX intro at the beginning of the newer Star Wars movies, the woofers on my RF-7s move A LOT. The bass that comes from the RF-7s at these volumes is pretty much subwoofer like. If I watch a bass-heavy movie at -15 dB or higher on the volume nob, my RF-7s start to move around on my tiled floor. My RF-7s weigh 90 pounds each.

Since the PB13-Ultra weighs 155 pounds, I doubt it will move or "dance around" at high volumes. Am I correct? But what about the PC13-Ultra? It also weighs 90 pounds like my main speakers and will it also "dance around" like my RF-7s on my tiled floor?
Since the woofer reactive forces are oriented in the vertical axis in the PC13-Ultra, you might get a bit of base plate hop on a hard tile floor at very high playback levels.

If this occurs you could use a GRAMMA under the base plate, or you could install the optional 3M half-circle rubber feet. We send even send you extras if needed and basically you populate the bottom of the base plate with them and that will provide a more compliant and damped foor interface than the standard hard rubber discs.

FWIW, the RF-7 is not considered a full-range speaker (at least not for HT applications), and will sound and perform much better when set to Small with a 40-60 Hz crossover and a subwoofer in the loop.

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I've had my PB 13 in the living room for about 2 years sitting on ceramic tile. Yesterday after a buddy & I got back from turkey hunting, I popped in a disc to show him what a sub sounds like. He looked up & said "that thing shakes your whole house"! The point is, with things rattling & shaking as they always do...my sub has always stay'd put. And thats with it sitting straight on the floor. I can't immagine you'll have any issues.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
My PB13U sits on a concrete floor with carpet on top and I have had it move around a little bit during some movies but for the most part it has never moved more than an inch or so. The big thing is I cant use it as a table for anything as any items I have ever placed on top of it moves around alot.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My PB13U sits on a concrete floor with carpet on top and I have had it move around a little bit during some movies but for the most part it has never moved more than an inch or so. The big thing is I cant use it as a table for anything as any items I have ever placed on top of it moves around alot.
Interesting. I have stuff on top of mine and neither has moved at all (I do have thin foam between anything hard that is on top of the sub). I can't even imagine how loud I'd have to go to get one to move (even when I only had one). Mine is also on carpeted concrete slab.

-Robb

·
Registered
7 Posts
My PC-Ultra used to dance in the first month of use but after I put a rubber mat under it it stayed right at it's place. :clap:

·
Registered
74 Posts
I cuurently have 2xpb13-ultras and 1xpc-ultra soon to have one more pc-ultra and I have never seen any of them move. I have hardwood floors, and with rubber feet that is on the bottom of them they are hard enough to move around as it is.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
113 Posts
I have a PC-13 Ultra and have not experienced any hopping around (even at relatively high volumes) though my neighbors have come a-knocking on my door :). I have since started using a Auralex SubDude to help dampen the vibrations and have not had a complaint since then.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Has anyone tried the aualex products in a home with traditional carpet floors? I'm curious if it assists in dampening to hear any more audible clarity. Right now i have the PB 13 ultra sitting right on the carpet floor.

·
Banned
4,015 Posts
Has anyone tried the aualex products in a home with traditional carpet floors? I'm curious if it assists in dampening to hear any more audible clarity. Right now i have the PB 13 ultra sitting right on the carpet floor.
I have used the Auralex grammas before on carpeted floors and did not see any benefits from having them, I also had some custom made platforms made for the DD series that I owned, but again NO real benefits for my setup, but on solid floors or raised flooring I imagine they would help...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks. for the info.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts