Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Yappy Hour!!.:rofl: What a great name.. My dogs only sleep in the house, the rest of the time they're either lazing on the deck or running around the property chasing rabbits and foxes.. I only take a max. of 4 dogs at any one time, so it's not so bad..But 4 Labradors and the like can get a bit boisterous inside!! I've only ever had one dog fight in 8 years and even that wasn't all that serious..I've been very lucky with dogs that I've had here..I think it's the new freedom they get which keeps them all happy..
That would make things manageable limiting the number of dogs. I used to worry about the fighting when he was a puppy because I didn't want him getting hurt. Now I worry about him hurting another dog and I don't want that especially with some of the preconceived notions of his breed. I did all I could to properly socialize him as a puppy but one day he woke up and decided he didn't like some males? He's had obedience training as well so I feel I did all I could.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
8,367 Posts
That would make things manageable limiting the number of dogs. I used to worry about the fighting when he was a puppy because I didn't want him getting hurt. Now I worry about him hurting another dog and I don't want that especially with some of the preconceived notions of his breed. I did all I could to properly socialize him as a puppy but one day he woke up and decided he didn't like some males? He's had obedience training as well so I feel I did all I could.
Rottweiler's can be unpredictable..They can be very loving and friendly to their owners, but can turn on other dogs or people very quickly..You'll always need to keep an eye on him around strangers..

I have a policy where I won't board any type of breed that is known to have caused attacks..
That keeps me safe and the dogs as well..If it's an attack dog breed that's been cross bred, then that's fine..Saffy in the dog photos is a Staffy cross and she has a beautiful nature..

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Rottweiler's can be unpredictable..They can be very loving and friendly to their owners, but can turn on other dogs or people very quickly..You'll always need to keep an eye on him around strangers.. I have a policy where I won't board any type of breed that is known to have caused attacks.. That keeps me safe and the dogs as well..If it's an attack dog breed that's been cross bred, then that's fine..Saffy in the dog photos is a Staffy cross and she has a beautiful nature..
A lot can be said for his body language and I've become very perceptive to it. He's good natured but I know when he's in that state. He is very protective and you're right I do keep a close eye around strangers.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
We love our 3 dogs, and our Koi... They are our family.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Here is my wife at the nationals this year with our 3 dogs... The 2 Border Collies Competed and were finalists.

Here my wife is feeding the Koi...

Here my wife is running my baby EEK at the Regionals...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Our 6 dogs are our other children with the difference in that unlike my 2-legged children these 6 will never do for 'themselves'. Five are rescue chihuahua's and we have one dachshund. Just 2 weeks ago the doxie cost us just under $10,000 in hospital bills. He was in critical condition and pulled through. Now he's a diabetic so no more 'fun' food and twice a day insulin shots. His life and ours have changed because of this (must eat every 12 hours and get his shot) but we love him and he's doing better.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Our 6 dogs are our other children with the difference in that unlike my 2-legged children these 6 will never do for 'themselves'. Five are rescue chihuahua's and we have one dachshund. Just 2 weeks ago the doxie cost us just under $10,000 in hospital bills. He was in critical condition and pulled through. Now he's a diabetic so no more 'fun' food and twice a day insulin shots. His life and ours have changed because of this (must eat every 12 hours and get his shot) but we love him and he's doing better.
All of our dogs are rescue dogs too... Last year Zulu (the white dog) had a Kidney failure, and our VET bill was about $15k. Thankfully he pulled through and is doing better than he was before the failure... As a matter of fact he is acting like a puppy. He is so full of energy now that he wears out our younger Border Collie. Zulu will also be on meds for the rest of his life.

·
Registered
146 Posts
All of our dogs are rescue dogs too... Last year Zulu (the white dog) had a Kidney failure, and our VET bill was about $15k. Thankfully he pulled through and is doing better than he was before the failure... As a matter of fact he is acting like a puppy. He is so full of energy now that he wears out our younger Border Collie. Zulu will also be on meds for the rest of his life.
We're/he's lucky in that he did so well after he got home that insulin is the only med he's on (for life). We are known as foster failures several times over so now we only temp-foster for foster folks. We have a frenchie coming to stay with us and our 6-pack for Thanksgiving to help a 'foster' parent out.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
Wow!! You guys have had an expensive time with your dogs! :yikes:
Do you have pet insurance to cover such costs?
We have no pet insurance... When this happened last year we posted on GOFUNDME, and we raised about 1/2 the ending bill. We are by no means well off, and all the donations helped us from losing everything to help Zulu live.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I came across GOFUNDME some time ago..What a great way to raise some urgently needed funds..
That must have been a bit of a life saver for you..
Yes it was... We were not aware of it until a friend told us about it. Another friend of ours had his sister start one due to her not being able to pay for her meds since her insurance is deciding not to cover her meds. We posted it on Facebook so hopefully she will be able to get her needed meds. It is a life saver of a program to help out people in dire need.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wow!! You guys have had an expensive time with your dogs! :yikes:
Do you have pet insurance to cover such costs?
straight credit cards for us. yup. Throughout the years we have donated so much money to animal charities (local) along with clothing for drives for them etc i contemplated asking for some 'help' but decided not to. I thought about the gofund programs but decided to take it all...and it hurts.

Unfortunately pet insurance has not caught up to the new healthcare. Pre-existing conditions are not covered so we dont' have insurance on any of them so it's expensive for the insulin and syringes each month.

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
straight credit cards for us. yup. Throughout the years we have donated so much money to animal charities (local) along with clothing for drives for them etc i contemplated asking for some 'help' but decided not to. I thought about the gofund programs but decided to take it all...and it hurts.

Unfortunately pet insurance has not caught up to the new healthcare. Pre-existing conditions are not covered so we dont' have insurance on any of them so it's expensive for the insulin and syringes each month.
Pet insurance really doesn't cover much... So we will not be getting it for our other dogs either.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I do love my dog but couldn't justify thousands in vet bills:( glad you guys could and your dogs are now in good health! Another reason we went with a small dog usually less health concerns. My wife won a horse in a charity raffle(she loves horses) and it was tough to tell her but she understood we couldn't justify a horse as her mom spent all her time and money on a horse as she grew up.

61 - 80 of 93 Posts