Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Or a combination of both?

I was thinking about this the other day as I generally use expensive drivers and amps with EQ so I am not exactly saving too much money, if I factor in my time then I am losing money.

I guess for me it is the satisfaction of making something that performs as good but usually better than the JL Audio Fathom F113 I owned before I got the DIY bug bad. I also like that I can make an enclosure that is purpose built for were I need it to go as well.

I know some here have outrageously good subs that commercially would cost about the same as a small home.......and yes I am talking about Robert Charles.

This is a very rewarding hobby for me, just wondering what others get from it.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Ditto. My subs are very expensive and I have a lot of them so I really didn't save much money, but at the same time I shudder to think what I would've had to spend to equal them commercially. :spend:. I like making things and I also enjoy uniqueness. I like knowing that no one is going out and buying exactly what I have and that they'd have to work for it to make anything comparable. Pride of ownership is in there as well. :nerd:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen what you have Ricci:yikes:

That XXX monster alone is not something you can walk in a buy anywhere.

Oh I so wish I had a LMS 18" too, such a killer driver:hail:

·
Premium Member
1,538 Posts
I gotta second Ricci's reply. I like the uniqueness of my project, knowing noone else has one exactly like it, plus the satisfaction of a successful completion (pics coming soon-I promise!)

Oh, and output!:devil::hsd:

·
Registered
203 Posts
I do it for a combo. I have a limited budget so DIY enables me to get stuff that I want without going broke. This goes for lots of stuff, not just home audio. Basically, I have more time (to build stuff) than I do money :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
I like making things...
I like it when you make things too. I always learn a lot. :devil:

When I finally have the money I will build for fun and because I will end up with a much better sub than I could afford buying prebuild.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I learned a ton on my last diy build, plus i had fun building it. I get compliments from everyone who sees or hears it too.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I learned a ton on my last diy build, plus i had fun building it. I get compliments from everyone who sees or hears it too.
The knowledge gained from each build is a definite +.

I love the reaction when they see and here the subs as well but sometimes it backfires and I wind up making more subs for friends and family then I do for myself. I really don't mind though as it is usually a pay back for all the help they given over the years.

When I finally settle on my next design I can't wait for the reaction to not only the performance but the finish as my cabinet maker is going to make it look nice and his cabinets are awesome.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
I think for me it's just getting something that is better in performance for the money I spend. I could not buy a sub half as good as the one I built with the money I spent.:jump:

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I would say that the 15" TC-3000 ($400) powered by a used Crown K2 ($600) and a Velodyne SMS-1 ($600) beat the JL Audio Fathom F113 ($3,500) for movies and was close for music.
The TC3K hit harder and was more dramatic than the JL but the JL had a great mid-bass and is the most articulate bass of any subwoofer I have ever owned. I have not yet equaled the JL for music but for movies it is not too hard to beat.

I already got rid of the JL by the time I got the Mal-X but if I had to guess the JL was more musical than it as well.

I don't regret for one second selling the JL though as I am mostly a movie guy and to get the kind of levels I wanted would have took at least a pair of F113's if not 3. I can do that for a third the price or less and the bass is Outstanding.

ID companies like SVS, Epic and ED come closer to performance for the $ but the last SVS I owned was a pair of CS Ultra's which were great but lacking the mid-bass punch I desired.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The TC3K hit harder and was more dramatic than the JL but the JL had a great mid-bass and is the most articulate bass of any subwoofer I have ever owned. I have not yet equaled the JL for music but for movies it is not too hard to beat.
Have you heard one of the Rythmik's subs? Judging by the reviews it should rival Fathom in sound quality department, although will lack the SPL and extension. Considering that they are asking $1000 for a complete sub and $600 for a driver+amp kit you can have two dedicated subs that excel in their own areas and still come under budget.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have heard about Rythmik's offerings and been to there site a number of times but don't have too much interest at the moment.

I would have to guess Rythmik is closer to the Velodyne sounds since they are both servo technologies. I did have a Velodyne HGS-18 in the past but the Fathom F113 is just a better all around sub. I know the DD-18 is supposed to be much better but from what I heard it uses the same driver and amp, I have a SMS-1 already so why double up.

Maybe one days I will try a Rythmik out of curiosity to compare to my builds.

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
159 Posts
With DIY you get great performance, price and pride that you did the sub yourself. I also have a TC 3K 15" sub being used right now and a SDX CCS 15" not being used. I ordered one AE AV15X sub with two PR18-2100 in a 7cf box, that should give me both the low extension and mid-bass slam I want in my big space. The AE has gotten good reviews so far, specially its SQ. Anyways, the sub will be arriving next week and I'll compare it to the other subs I have in my current 4cf box. I plan to keep the AE sub and get rid of the other two.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey Spanish,

I would be definitely interested in how the AE sub with passives turns out and how it compares to the TC3K.

What are you tuning it to?

I have tried low tuned subs in the 16 to 18 hz range but you tend to lose that mid-bass punch. Right now I have a Audiopulse Axis 12" in a 2.5 cu ft box with a Mach 5 18" passive tuned to about 18hz and another identical Axis in a sealed 1.4 cu ft enclosure and I plan to compare the 2. I already know what the sealed Axis will do and I am very impressed with it just as long as I boost the low end to get it down to the low 20's.

I love the TC3K 15" but it is a power hog, I may try this with some passives as well to get it more efficient.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Or a combination of both?

I was thinking about this the other day as I generally use expensive drivers and amps with EQ so I am not exactly saving too much money, if I factor in my time then I am losing money.

I guess for me it is the satisfaction of making something that performs as good but usually better than the JL Audio Fathom F113 I owned before I got the DIY bug bad. I also like that I can make an enclosure that is purpose built for were I need it to go as well.

I know some here have outrageously good subs that commercially would cost about the same as a small home.......and yes I am talking about Robert Charles.

This is a very rewarding hobby for me, just wondering what others get from it.
I think the personal satisfaction is why most of us do it. Saving money if it happens can be a motivating factor but those of us who DIY a lot just like to figure things out.

The challenge, the problem solving, the "building a better mousetrap" thing...there is a little Henry Kloss in all of us DIYers...achieving a flow state...

·
Registered
159 Posts
sub crazy, today I got the birch plywood to start my AE sub build. The tuning came to 16hz but since I'm adding some 5-lbs of polyfill, it should drop the tune to around 15hz or so. The AE sub is known for its great mid-bass (50hz to over 200hz) so even if I lose a couple of db's there by tuning low I won't be worried. I know of no DIY sub 15" that will beat the AE in the mid-bass area. My goal is to have flat 15hz-120hz bass response and the TC sub is not suited for that. It has great bass up to around 60hz but then it drops off sharply, the mid-bass is not its strenght. Like you mentioned, it needs a lot of power 2,000+ watts to perform at its best (I'm using 1,300 watts). Also, I don't think the TC 3k driver performs well in a ported/PR box, it's made to work in a small sealed box with lots of power. For my 5,000cf+ space it does well but I need more, specially the critical mid-bass area. On the other hand the AE sub doesn't need a ton of power and works well in either a sealed or ported/PR box.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have fun on your build Spanish.

Are you going to have a build thread? I would tune in for sure.

I agree that the mid-bass is lacking on the TC3K compared to other subs but i do really like it still. I have a Mal-X as well but still prefer the TC3K as it just has a sharper attack and makes my eyes bug out more but the Mal-X energizes the room better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I plan to post pics and impressions on the AE sub, it will be in a few days (I hope). You have two great subs in the Maelstrom and TC sub. Do you also run the Maelstrom sealed? Which one goes lower, the TC or the Mael. sub? With the Maelstrom sub, a ported/PR design would be a killer set-up if you wanted more deep bass. Also, if you run the TC sub with big speakers (good bass speakers) and cross it over at 60hz or below, it would be a killer set-up (my speakers are on the smaller side which therefore need a higher crossover, 80hz or higher).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts