Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This was a sub I used to run back in high school with my opti drive 500. I still have that amp and this sub is currently in its original box and so is the amp. I am thinking about building a box for my home theater, but I have lost the TS specs. If anyone has any advice for an enclosure it would be much appreciated. The pic attached is the box I used to have it in from high school.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
That appears to be a car sub.
Are there any model numbers stamped on the back?
If you can find the model we should be able to look up the parameters although most car subs don't have enough excursion for home theatre use as they rely on cabin gain in the vehicle.

G

·
0 Posts
What size is that? If the dust cap is a indication of the voice coil size, it might have some grunt to it. It probably is tuned higher for car use. Not that it can't work, just probably won't go as low as a HT sub would.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Wow! I remember that sub from long ago, Can't lend much advice as to what to do with it other then try modeling it and see how it comes out.:T

·
Registered
119 Posts
This is all I could find on that sub:

vas - 450.3 L.
FS - 18.33 hz
Qts - 0.222
z - 4 ohms
Pmax - 400 w.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
I have modeled this, with the limited amount of information available, and it only gets down to about 40 Hz.
Also, we don't know it's excursion and so cannot determine what levels you would get if you did build a new box for it.
Have you thought about selling it and buying a sub suited for home use?

Cheers,
Bill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts