Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to REW and this site. Trying to use it to analyze my room.

I'm on a Mac Pro, I've been trying figure out how to calibrate sound card and get an AT4050 into sound card.

To no avail. (I have Radio shack spl meter,digi003rack,UA la610, JBL monitors spidf from 003, and getting a headache)

So I just tried again as I did the other night to at least getting some kind of signal into REW to create a graph, any kind of graph.
The other night, I used the radioshack meter into line in on the mac pro sound card. I set SPL as advised, checked level, level was too low but I hit the start measure any way. I received a graph. I removed the graph. I tried several more times, sometimes level was ok, sometimes not. I would hit start measure several times and I was unable to get a graph.

So I've been trying to get the right hook up for this program, I haven't been able to, so I figured I'd use the RS SPL meter again to try to get some kind of readings. I was able to get a better signal now. In apple prefs sound I increased input gain. I have core audio default input set to the mac default line in (audio card with RS SPL meter) and default output set to 003 (fw400 from mac to 003 spidf from 003 to JBL monitors).

I adjusted the SPL,I checked levels it says input OK. I hit start measure and I got a graph (it didn't look right, there was a little graph line and another little graph line above it, both didn't fill the graph, but at least I got something),
I removed all and tried again but, it's doing what it did the other night. I can't get another graph.
I realized that on the first pass, the blue load bar on the bottom went from the beginning to the end, a full sweep, Generator reading Meas.Sweep.(took about 4 secs.) Now as I continue to try it I notice the blue bar is already at like 95%-98% and it loads when I hit the start measure..(takes like 1 sec) . Does that have to be reset so it does the full sweep again?

I will continue reading and clicking. Any help would be appreciated.

Rich

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I just noticed in REW prefs. I have an option in Soundcard "Input Device and Input" for the 003. Should I select that so I could use the AT4050 omni mic? And change line input in apple core audio to 003? Or leave input default in rew and change input in apple to 003?

The 003 is not listed in REW "Output Device and Output" (Java sound engine is) so I guess I would leave default device in rew and leave the output in mac core audio as I have it, to 003.

Oh MY:scratch:

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
You will not be able to access the 003 inputs unfortunately, so best stick with the built-in input. On the output side it is a good idea to go to www.mandolane.co.uk and download and install the M3DMixer, then select that as the output device in REW (you still need to set the default output in the Mac preferences to be the device you want to use).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks John,
Same John I think that answered my post at gearslutz?

I'll go to the download.

Any thought why I'm only able to get one full pass on a test and the rest have been starting at 95%?

Hope I get a graph or waterfall or something soon. Been at this Mac/Rew/003 for days with no results.

I shall continue.

Thank you

Rich

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Download and install. Going to see if I can run a test. I'll be back with the results.

Thanks John

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I got something. Is there anyway to access the M3D mixer. I looked but could not find.

I adjusted levels from input gain, from apple sound prefs to match spl meter and get level that would say OK.

I was able to get 6 charts. spl&phase,all spl, impulse,GD,rt60. Did not get decay, waterfall,
spectrgram,scope.

These graphs came up from my 1st path, the blue bar loaded from 1 to 100%. Unlike before this time I did not remove all. I tried a second pass , it did the same as my previous attempts. It started at 95% for a second and no graphs.
I will continue.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
sorry john,
just found the generate button. I have a waterfall!!! :T

I will work on this, , if you could let me know why I can't get a 2nd, 3rd pass I'd appreciate it. Also if I should be able to get to the M3D.

Thank you
Rich

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
The M3DMixer has no controls, it replaces Apple's JavaSound mixer to allow Java to access audio outputs properly. Just install and forget.

On the problem of only being able to make a single measurement, there may be some clues in the REW log files. You can find the files in your user folder, under Logs -> REW. Each startup generates a fresh log file (up to 10 max) which contains any messages generated by REW, please have a look in the files and see what has been stored - if it is much more than a message about REW starting attach a file here for me to take a look at.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi John,
Installed and forgotten....Thank you.

Logs folder? I looked, can't locate it , will look some more. (on a mac)

I did 3 tests last night.

1- set up and adjust volumes. 100% sweep, graph created
2- .................................... started at 95% no graph.
3- relocated mic,adjusted volumes. 100% sweep,graph created.

I will look for the Log again.
question: on first pass I aimed mic at speaker, I received all graphs except scope.
on third pass, mic pointing Up ,I received all graphs including scope.

is this natural? off to look for rew log again.

Thanks John,
Rich

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Sorry, should have said it is in Library/Logs (the location is also shown if you select "About Room EQ Wizard" in the app menu).

Scope plots are only shown for a measurement you have just taken.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks John,
I looked through the menu briefly again after looking through the other night (thought I saw it mentioned where it was stored) but I didn't locate it. My bust. Thankyou for the direction.

??? info: REW started
Opening M3D Java Mixer for 10.5.8 V4

Is all it says, for each of the times I opened rew.

With calibrating of card, which mic to use, Mac, Pc..... It was suggested to get the FuzzMeasure. I'm researching and may have to do that. Thank you for all your help with this.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Rich

1 - 11 of 11 Posts