Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

Does my power of receiver match the power of the speaker needed?

8K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Mr645 
#1 ·
On the jamo website, I see S809 has Power Handling 120w/240w with impedance 8 ohm. Is that the power needed per channel? If so, I see most receivers under $1000 will have RMA output below 120w per channel. Like "Pioneer VSX-LX304" and "Yamaha RX-A2A" both have a price tag of around $800, but both receivers only rated output power of 100 W (8 ohms, 0.06% THD) (20Hz-20kHz, 2-ch driven) what is smaller than 120W what this S809 need. Does that mean even an $800 receiver will not be powerful enough to push a $350 speaker? That doesn't make sense to me.

Here are the products and spec I mentioned above:

#2 ·
It really depends on several things. First is what is called the sensitivity of the speakers. This is determines how loud the speaker will be for a given input. The more sensitive the speaker is the lees power it will take. Second is the size of your room.

That being said, small changes in power will not produce large changes in sound levels. For example say you drive a speaker at 90 watts. doubling that power to 180 watts will only increase your sound level by 3 db.

I would say that in most cases any for those AVRs would drive your speakers without problems.

#3 ·
I have speakers that have a program/peak recommended power input of 220/400 watts at 4 ohms.
I drive them with an amp that can do 200 into all 5 channels or 350 into one and I have never wanted more.
Try and get at least above your program power level. Peak is not so important, but it reduces the distortion at near maximum levels.

#4 ·
As "dschlic1" and "the_clangers" have said, efficiency of the speakers are the greatest determinant of db's of sound per power watt output. If you currently have a amp/receiver capable of 8 ohms output try it with your new speakers. I used to have a old amp with analog dials for wattage output and with the speakers I had at the time when I got around 1 watt output it started to get uncomfortably loud. If the speakers are rated at 200 watts, that is usually the amount of sustained power they can take before starting to self destruct. I don't think you would enjoy listening to speakers driven to their full capacity. Now days, it is hard to find any amplifier / receiver with output under 50 watts per channel. With the correct impedance matching, I'm pretty sure any of your choices would bring satisfying results. Enjoy!

#5 ·
Hi Jeff,

i purchased the yamaha rx-a2a and jamo s809 hcs. For some reason, the audio quality just sounds terribly distorted and soulless coming from the speakers. I tried different inputs, different cables, different placements.. ****.. even a different receiver with the same specs. But nothing works for me. Anybody having similar issues?

#6 ·
Hi Jeff,

i purchased the yamaha rx-a2a and jamo s809 hcs. For some reason, the audio quality just sounds terribly distorted and soulless coming from the speakers. I tried different inputs, different cables, different placements.. ****.. even a different receiver with the same specs. But nothing works for me. Anybody having similar issues?
Have you tried any other speakers with that AVR, or auditioned any other speakers in general? Almost 100% of your sound quality will come from the speakers. Different receivers use different auto setup functions, and that can also change their sound. Did you run ypao?
I think the speakers are just not that good. Jamo used to make very nice speakers, but seems to me the company was purchased and just not the same anymore.

#9 ·
PC (hdmi), PS5 (hdmi), vinyl. Used for music (40%), gaming (40%) and movies (20%). I’m keen on good audio, but surround is a nice thing for movies and gaming.
Receiver is Yamaha RX-A2A/RX-V6A
What would be best:
1) Ultima 40 surround 5.1 set from Teufel?
2) Jamo S 809 HCS?
3 Something completely different?

#11 ·
I have the Jamo C95 II and I can tell you the audio chain matters! They sound much better with a 200W am then with a 100W amp. I am currently using a Tube pre amp and a Panasonic DVD player as my source. I'm playing CD's this is a two channel setup currently.
My setup really shows up bad recordings. Cables also made a difference. I'm waiting on a processor to see what they would sound like with that.
I'm using the outlaw 2220 amps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.