Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Noob asking for a sanity-check :coocoo:

I was running through the REW "CHECK LEVELS procedure, and noticed something peculiar with the calibration test signal. The REW manual describes it as pink noise, but it must be hi-pass filtered. Compared to other pink noise signals I'm familiar with on test CD's and outboard generators, the REW version emits very little bass (at least when SOUNDCARD PREFERENCES direct the MAIN SPEAKERS to be used).

It seems to me that including bass in the test signal would tend to raise the overall SPL without damaging my hearing, or my speakers. In other words, the mostly treble test signal has to be turned too loud to meet the requirements stated in the REW on-line and on-screen user manuals.

The SIGNAL GENERATOR section in the REW Manual offers lots of setup info, but I have yet to find any useful setup info in the CHECK LEVELS section which relates to specific Pink Noise test signal characteristics.

Should I use an external, "known good" pink noise signal such as from a test CD? Or should I try to set REW's Signal Generator to check levels?

I'm using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 USB Audio Interface running under an ASIO driver.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Should I use an external, "known good" pink noise signal such as from a test CD? Or should I try to set REW's Signal Generator to check levels?
REW uses filtered Pink Noise for the "check levels" pre-sweep level check .

The range used ( Hi & Low-Passed ) is appropriate for that task .

When checking levels ( in the "Preferences" window ) REW uses the same filtering scheme / you can use REW's signal generator to run wider band-width Pink Noise if you desire ( also best too open the "Levels" metering window & perhaps even the "SPL" window ) .

:sn:

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've definitely spread myself too thin with hobbies, and am just now resuming my REW learning-curve adventure...

The range used ( Hi & Low-Passed ) is appropriate for that task .
I should have mentioned that the system is 2ch without a subwoofer. The "mains" are full-range, so a one-or-the-other filter approach is inappropriate. I'm confused because the REW instructions for SECTION 7 CHECK LEVELS seem to require this either/or approach. Is the REW HELP INDEX written primarily for home theater?

you can use REW's signal generator to run wider band-width Pink Noise if you desire
:help: But I don't want to "desire," I want to follow instructions. Because if I don't follow instructions, my measurements won't come out right, And if my measurements don't come out right, it's because I didn't follow instructions! Arrrrggghhh! :coocoo:

Can you please explain this in elementary-school, paint-by-numbers steps? I'm having trouble finding these options in the REW STEP-7 CHECK LEVELS procedure window. A really, really BIG thank you in advance. :bigsmile:

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
You seem to be getting oddly fixated on the pink noise test signal :)

It is not used for measurement, it is just there to establish a reasonable sound level in the room. Stop worrying about it and move on to the next step.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts