Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
How good are these two? These are two canadian companies. Any info available on these?
I don't know anything about Sico paints, but CIL paints are good stuff! They are available in a wide range of neutral grays from almost white to almost black.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't know anything about Sico paints, but CIL paints are good stuff! They are available in a wide range of neutral grays from almost white to almost black.
Great , if you can recommend me something in cil that would be great. I have an account and get a big discount on cil paints.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Great , if you can recommend me something in cil that would be great. I have an account and get a big discount on cil paints.
Here are the CIL tint codes and color names for neutral grays:

Tint Code ... "Color Name" [Munsell Value]

00NN 05/000 . . . "Dark Secret" (black) [N2.3]
00NN 07/000 . . . "Deep Onyx" (black) [N3.2]
00NN 13/000 . . . "Obsidian Glass" [N4.3]
00NN 16/000 . . . "Grey Tabby" [N4.7]
00NN 20/000 . . . "Grimmy's Grey" [N5.2]
00NN 25/000 . . . "Seal Grey" [N5.7]
00NN 31/000 . . . "Icon Grey" [N6.25]
00NN 37/000 . . . "Granite Gray" [N6.7]
00NN 45/000 . . . "Dover Grey" [N7.3]
00NN 53/000 . . . "Veil" [N7.8]
00NN 62/000 . . . "Universal Gray" [N8.3]
00NN 72/000 . . . "Snowfield" [N8.8]

You can print this out and take it with you to the store then tell them you want the last color listed (the one I bolded). They won't have a clue what N values mean.

If you can get a CIL paint that is "made with Lumitec technology" so much the better, but it's not a deal-breaker if you can't. I'm not familiar with CIL paint finishes so I could only recommend a flat or matte paint finish. You might be able to get away with using a higher gloss paint to get more gain, but then again you might not and have discernable hot spotting.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here are the CIL tint codes and color names for neutral grays:

Tint Code ... "Color Name" [Munsell Value]

00NN 05/000 . . . "Dark Secret" (black) [N2.3]
00NN 07/000 . . . "Deep Onyx" (black) [N3.2]
00NN 13/000 . . . "Obsidian Glass" [N4.3]
00NN 16/000 . . . "Grey Tabby" [N4.7]
00NN 20/000 . . . "Grimmy's Grey" [N5.2]
00NN 25/000 . . . "Seal Grey" [N5.7]
00NN 31/000 . . . "Icon Grey" [N6.25]
00NN 37/000 . . . "Granite Gray" [N6.7]
00NN 45/000 . . . "Dover Grey" [N7.3]
00NN 53/000 . . . "Veil" [N7.8]
00NN 62/000 . . . "Universal Gray" [N8.3]
00NN 72/000 . . . "Snowfield" [N8.8]

You can print this out and take it with you to the store then tell them you want the last color listed (the one I bolded). They won't have a clue what N values mean.

If you can get a CIL paint that is "made with Lumitec technology" so much the better, but it's not a deal-breaker if you can't. I'm not familiar with CIL paint finishes so I could only recommend a flat or matte paint finish. You might be able to get away with using a higher gloss paint to get more gain, but then again you might not and have discernable hot spotting.
Thanks i appreciate it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
How would the "Snowfield" tint compare to Cream & Sugar Ultra? I understand it'll be a little more grey. Do these CIL tints require mixing with something else, or are they intended for standalone use? I've read the screen index thread, which lead me to the C&S Ultra thread, and then discovered Behr is no longer recommended if it can be avoided, not to mention that online stores I've checked out don't have Liquitex Basic Silver (except amazon.com - not .ca - which has 2 tubes). Can someone point me to some info I'm not picking up on? :scratch:

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
How would the "Snowfield" tint compare to Cream & Sugar Ultra? I understand it'll be a little more grey. Do these CIL tints require mixing with something else, or are they intended for standalone use? I've read the screen index thread, which lead me to the C&S Ultra thread, and then discovered Behr is no longer recommended if it can be avoided, not to mention that online stores I've checked out don't have Liquitex Basic Silver (except amazon.com - not .ca - which has 2 tubes). Can someone point me to some info I'm not picking up on? :scratch:
Correct, the 'Snowfield' will be just a bit darker than C&S™ Ultra, and also have a bit less gain because it has no additional reflective element in it which C&S™ Ultra does. Unless you are trying to get as much image brightness as you can from your screen you don't need a reflectively enhanced screen mix.

Getting Liquitex paints in Canada can be a problem. I'm not sure why that is since they are actually made in England. :scratch: I understand if folks have to use Behr paints, but I hope the Canadian versions are better than the stuff in the U.S. The way I understand it, Behr #1850 paint is hard to find in CA as well and folks are forced to use the ULTRA #1750 instead. That is the paint that started the whole "paint + primer in one" nonsense. :rolleyesno:

The CIL/Glidden paints are good, and in CA they can be gotten in a wide range of neutral grays (already listed). To be SURE of no danger of hot spotting I would recommend using those paints in flat or matte finish.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply. I have an Epson 8500UB in a completely light controlled room, so I should be OK without the extra reflectivity, I think. I may do some viewing with the lights on, but dimmed, hence my interest in a screen of N9 or so. Looks like I'll be giving "Snowfield" a shot. :T

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the quick reply. I have an Epson 8500UB in a completely light controlled room, so I should be OK without the extra reflectivity, I think. I may do some viewing with the lights on, but dimmed, hence my interest in a screen of N9 or so. Looks like I'll be giving "Snowfield" a shot. :T
Please post back your opinion, i have the same projector as you and i'm going to give that snowfield from shirwin williams a try also. I'm trying just a sample board.

Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm back! Sorry it's taken so long. My wife and I now have a 5 week old daughter and I was scrambling to get the house renovations at a state that we'd be ready to host family Christmas here. Hectic, but exciting! :sweat:

I was able to get some fresh drywall delivered, primed, painted, and hastily mounted in time for Christmas day. I set the screen and projector up in the general entertaining area of the basement since the dedicated theatre isn't ready and has become a storage room for baby paraphernalia at the moment... I'll provide details of screen size and distances soon, haven't measured things out yet. I literally grabbed a short filing cabinet, plopped it in the centre of the floor and adjusted the projector zoom to fill the screen (and adjusted its focus). The first movie played on my projector was Home Alone, and both the movie and picture quality were a hit with my wife's family and I. No remorse about using Snowfield paint!

Just need to test it out with a movie more deserving of the big screen, now...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I'm back! Sorry it's taken so long. My wife and I now have a 5 week old daughter and I was scrambling to get the house renovations at a state that we'd be ready to host family Christmas here. Hectic, but exciting! :sweat:

I was able to get some fresh drywall delivered, primed, painted, and hastily mounted in time for Christmas day. I set the screen and projector up in the general entertaining area of the basement since the dedicated theatre isn't ready and has become a storage room for baby paraphernalia at the moment... I'll provide details of screen size and distances soon, haven't measured things out yet. I literally grabbed a short filing cabinet, plopped it in the centre of the floor and adjusted the projector zoom to fill the screen (and adjusted its focus). The first movie played on my projector was Home Alone, and both the movie and picture quality were a hit with my wife's family and I. No remorse about using Snowfield paint!

Just need to test it out with a movie more deserving of the big screen, now...
Congratulations on your new born, I've been there two times, and I know it's a lot of work.

Hey, funny you write back today, because I to was very busy also, and I just finished painting my second coat of primer about one hour ago. I went for 108" diagonal , and I decided that I" m going to paint the screen with shirwin Williams pro classic extra white from the projector central review.

I'm feeling I little scared that I might loose a little bit of dept compared to my grey screen, but the brightness of the whites and the better colors have me very anxious, i can't wait to see how it looks. Well I already had the paint so no big loss if I"m not happy with it. I'll just have to paint it over again. My Epson 8500 is in a dark room with very good light control.

I'll watch a couple of movies and I'll post back my thoughts.

What screen were you using before this setup. And how happy are you with your Epson 8500. And also how would you compare the snowfield with what you had before.

Your snowfield was done with witch paint?
Thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts