Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do these graphs look like I at least have my hookup correct ?

sub graph.jpg

main's.jpg

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
You may be experiencing the effect of low Q and high Q resonances.

Wikipedia said:
One familiar example is a playground swing, which acts as a pendulum. Pushing a person in a swing in time with the natural interval of the swing (its resonance frequency) will make the swing go higher and higher (maximum amplitude), while attempts to push the swing at a faster or slower tempo will result in smaller arcs. This is because the energy the swing absorbs is maximized when the pushes are 'in phase' with the swing's oscillations, while some of the swing's energy is actually extracted by the opposing force of the pushes when they are not.

Resonance occurs widely in nature, and is exploited in many man-made devices. It is the mechanism by which virtually all sinusoidal waves and vibrations are generated. Many sounds we hear, such as when hard objects of metal, glass, or wood are struck, are caused by brief resonant vibrations in the object.
What is the difference we are looking at in these graphs?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The 1st graph is my sub, the 2nd is my right channel mains. This is my 1st attempt at this, I'm not sure what I am looking at or what this means. My setup is Denon 3806 7.1
with JAMO "small" wall mounted with 200 watt JAMO 8" Sub
Any gudiance/ advice would be welcome. I'm recovering from shoulder surgery and have alot of time on my hands

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
A good practice is to start with the sub alone with the mains shut off (disconnected), so you can see how the sub reacts with your room without any other influence. Be sure to have the crossover set that you normally use.

Then, when you have the sub located and EQ'd the best you can, add the mains and adjust the subs phase to get the best crossover transition.

brucek

1 - 5 of 5 Posts