Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Rear speakers (ceiling or back) would just muddy the sound due to space constraints. Dipoles might be best although some recommend against using them. I use them (Klipsch rs-42 II's) and they work fine in my room.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
If you love the sound of the polks then I'd use them. If they sound better on music , they'll sound better on movies too. But since you have the klipsch try both ways. See which way you like the best. Maybe under the screen will be ok for you.
My 7ch point was 7.x or 7.x.x includes rear wall mounted surround speakers. Those will be a waste IMO as they'll be in the wrong place and you don't have the space behind the second row for them to work properly. That's also why I don't think 5.2.4 will work because the second pair of atmos speakers needs to be behind the LP too.(kind of an answer to your question to jbrax too) so I'm saying eliminate the rear surrounds and only use 2 ceiling speakers, and maybe a pair of "side surrounds" for each row. The answer to if there's an advantage in going 5.2.2 is, yes. Rear surrounds ala 7.x or 7.2.x won't work properly.
Any dipoles I like? Well lol, I don't like bipole/dipole speakers in general, but due to the room size and since you need the front row it makes sense. My tiny little brain can't figure out how to get the best performance with the obstacles here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Rear speakers (ceiling or back) would just muddy the sound due to space constraints. Dipoles might be best although some recommend against using them. I use them (Klipsch rs-42 II's) and they work fine in my room.
So, just to be clear, you would recommend no rear speakers at all? Meaning no rear surround and no rear row of Atmos height effect or do you just mean no 2nd row of Atmos?

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
So, just to be clear, you would recommend no rear speakers at all? Meaning no rear surround and no rear row of Atmos height effect or do you just mean no 2nd row of Atmos?
Specifically, I would not consider putting back surround speakers on the rear wall. They would be too close to those sitting on the rear row. I would put two side surrounds on the side walls. As far as ceiling speakers ideally you want four but due to the size of the room I'm not sure it's feasible? You need spacing for the sounds to properly pan. I'm not saying you can't make it work but probably not ideal? Maybe others will come forward and validate or contradict my thoughts on those top speakers.

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
Interesting thread.

I'm going to throw in agreement that an ideal arrangement wouldn't have the second row up against the back wall. However, part of this hobby is trial and error...and you may find that you're perfectly happy with the result given the seating you're looking to get in the room.

In terms of speakers... if you like the polks, run with it. The best option would be to ditch the center channel and fit another tower under your screen (if you can)... then I'd use the dipole speakers for both surrounds and rear channels. I'd also probably move your overhead / presence channels back just a tad. It sounds like you want to optimize for the second row (?) and you want to make sure that the first line of front atoms channels isn't too far forward.

Your situation is a great example of the real world clashing with ideals...and a lot of the end result is going to come from you installing and tweaking. My only hard and fast advice is: expect to tweak and make changes. I think it's all too easy to have a set-in-stone plan that gets to completion despite hazard signs.

Good luck and keep us updated!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Thank all of you so much for all of your valuable input. I have decided that I will take a little extra time to be able to thoroughly test the height speakers with infinite adjustments easily made. Here is my plan... I will mount two 2x4 "rails" to the ceiling with 3" spacers and then lay two more 2x4 mounting "beams" perpendicular to the "rails" and loosely strapped together in the middle so they can slide. Each "beam" will have a speaker mounted to it in such a way that they are even with one another and the beams can slide in/out past one another and front/back along the rail so every position in the room can be tested without drilling a million holes in the ceiling (just 4 holes).

For reference here is a diagram from a bottom view.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Zakk, good plan to figure out the positioning.

You have to work with your own goals and constraints in mind, and as much as you can try to implement the advice on how to do it the right way, sometimes the right way has to be compromised to get a result that works for you. My space won't be much bigger than yours, and I know my back row will have issues with rear surrounds being too close. But since I'm probably optimizing for the front row, the "kid seats" will be OK like that.

I know you've mentioned a lot of speakers that you already have, but have you considered going with in-walls to gain a few more precious inches of distance? My plan is to wire for and set up 7.2.4, and if I do find that the rear surrounds cause too much of a problem, I can just disconnect them. Yes, it could be a wasted investment, but I'd rather suck it up and go that route while the walls are open than to wish I had once everything is sealed and painted.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Thank all of you so much for all of your valuable input. I have decided that I will take a little extra time to be able to thoroughly test the height speakers with infinite adjustments easily made. Here is my plan... I will mount two 2x4 "rails" to the ceiling with 3" spacers and then lay two more 2x4 mounting "beams" perpendicular to the "rails" and loosely strapped together in the middle so they can slide. Each "beam" will have a speaker mounted to it in such a way that they are even with one another and the beams can slide in/out past one another and front/back along the rail so every position in the room can be tested without drilling a million holes in the ceiling (just 4 holes).

For reference here is a diagram from a bottom view.

This is a cool idea!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
This is a cool idea!
Cool enough to be a sticky, I say!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Since so many of you were kind enough to take your time and weigh in, and I have ALMOST completed the theater, I wanted to post an update. The theater is built, wired, and we have now watched a few movies in it. I have not completed the sound deadening or all of the digital tweaking, but the preliminary results are rather surprising.

I decided to stick with the 7.2.4 configuration. Contrary to popular opinions, the bass is awesome in both rows of seats. By "awesome", I mean a truly sick level of bass, to the point where I actually think I might like it better with just one sub on. The dialogue is crisp and present. Surround actually works pretty well. The only audio deficiency (aside of excessive audio reflection from lack of sound absorption) is with the ATMOS presence speakers. I am trying to see if I can get away with not mounting them on the ceiling because I don't want to run wires through the attic (or have wires show). They still work, but the sound is a bit too localized. I will experiment with angles, volume and delay, but I predict that I will ultimately have to move the presence speakers to the ceiling.

As soon as I finish the room, I will start a new thread with photos of the full build.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wonder how the presence would sound by moving the speakers to the corners like this?? I would think above your head would be preferred but not having actual experience I can not say. Looking forward to the build thread.

Dave

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since so many of you were kind enough to take your time and weigh in, and I have ALMOST completed the theater, I wanted to post an update. The theater is built, wired, and we have now watched a few movies in it. I have not completed the sound deadening or all of the digital tweaking, but the preliminary results are rather surprising.

I decided to stick with the 7.2.4 configuration. Contrary to popular opinions, the bass is awesome in both rows of seats. By "awesome", I mean a truly sick level of bass, to the point where I actually think I might like it better with just one sub on. The dialogue is crisp and present. Surround actually works pretty well. The only audio deficiency (aside of excessive audio reflection from lack of sound absorption) is with the ATMOS presence speakers. I am trying to see if I can get away with not mounting them on the ceiling because I don't want to run wires through the attic (or have wires show). They still work, but the sound is a bit too localized. I will experiment with angles, volume and delay, but I predict that I will ultimately have to move the presence speakers to the ceiling.

As soon as I finish the room, I will start a new thread with photos of the full build.

I have a almost similar room (10.5 X 13). I want to setup 7.2.4. Can you please share the equipment and plan of your setup. it would help me in setting mine. Thanks in Advance.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts