Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently upgraded to the Marantz sr7010 and here soon had plans to install 4 ceiling mounted speakers. After much research and some correspondence with Todd felt I might have a hole in the sound. So feeling as though I might as well go "all in" figured why not purchase 2 more rear speakers. On 4/18 I'll be completing my audio setup with 6 Klipsch rb-51 II speakers for a 7.2.4 setup. Here's to hoping for audio nirvana and impressions soon to follow.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looking forward to this! How far are you from the back wall? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Probably way too close. I'd say about 6' away but this upgrade is more about what room I'll have in the future.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
In my setup I find the Atmos channels fill the area better than just 7.2 does...it is not dramatic, but it is pleasing and subtle...well worth the mods to do it, IMO.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Don't see an issue there. I'm at 7' and it's great. I was afraid you were right up against the wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my setup I find the Atmos channels fill the area better than just 7.2 does...it is not dramatic, but it is pleasing and subtle...well worth the mods to do it, IMO.
Coming from 5.2 I'm hoping for dramatic actually. I've read quite a few articles that said it's the biggest jump since HD. I guess I'll soon find out.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Don't see an issue there. I'm at 7' and it's great. I was afraid you were right up against the wall. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, I've got some space behind our seating. While my room certainly isn't ideal I think it should work out fine.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Coming from 5.2 I'm hoping for dramatic actually. I've read quite a few articles that said it's the biggest jump since HD. I guess I'll soon find out.
I just bit the bullet and went to 7.2 up from 5.2 and watching my first 7.1 movie, Star Wars, I am enthralled. I am angry I waited so long and am now thinking of atmos...if I find any money for a new processor. :blink:

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just bit the bullet and went to 7.2 up from 5.2 and watching my first 7.1 movie, Star Wars, I am enthralled. I am angry I waited so long and am now thinking of atmos...if I find any money for a new processor. :blink:
Ok, that makes me feel much better. My personal single greatest improvement was adding a real sub. I'm hoping for that type of improvement. Actually music sounds much improved from the 7010. Even low quality mp3's sound good now.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Ok, that makes me feel much better. My personal single greatest improvement was adding a real sub. I'm hoping for that type of improvement. Actually music sounds much improved from the 7010. Even low quality mp3's sound good now.
Add another sub or better yet 3 more, and you had better be sitting down when you hear it! It will absolutely blow your sock off. :T :T

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Add another sub or better yet 3 more, and you had better be sitting down when you hear it! It will absolutely blow your sock off. :T :T
2 SVS subs is more than enough. Maybe some day when I have a dedicated room I'll add a couple more. :)

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
I think there's little doubt that you'll love it... Just make sure you have some good demo discs on hand. ;-)

For Atmos, pick-up Gravity Diamond Luxe and John Wick... The demo list for straight 7.1 is long and lengthy, but I've always found the city attack scene (near the end of the film) from Dark of the Moon to be great material.

Can't wait to hear your overall impressions!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I am reaally glad you are happier now, I am still loving the the system especially with live concerts, talk about being there.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I think there's little doubt that you'll love it... Just make sure you have some good demo discs on hand. ;-)

For Atmos, pick-up Gravity Diamond Luxe and John Wick... The demo list for straight 7.1 is long and lengthy, but I've always found the city attack scene (near the end of the film) from Dark of the Moon to be great material.

Can't wait to hear your overall impressions!
I believe I will take your advice and watch Gravity right now. :smile:

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
I believe you're gonna be quite impressed. I've read the same thing. For me 5.3 to 7.3 was fairly subtle.

I was wondering what you think about Upsampling 5.1 to 7.1. IME, and my system 5.1 tracks played back in PLIIx(7.1 rear surround) is a downgrade. Something in the matrixing ruins accurate sound imaging. 5.1 played back in 5.1 is awesome. 7.1 played in 7.1 is great but only subtlety better.
One thing that surprised me was how atmos "core" tracks sound. In a word, awesome. Not sure why exactly, but they're different than a regular 7.1 track even though to my understanding the only difference is the metadata for the ceiling speakers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I believe you're gonna be quite impressed. I've read the same thing. For me 5.3 to 7.3 was fairly subtle.

I was wondering what you think about Upsampling 5.1 to 7.1. IME, and my system 5.1 tracks played back in PLIIx(7.1 rear surround) is a downgrade. Something in the matrixing ruins accurate sound imaging. 5.1 played back in 5.1 is awesome. 7.1 played in 7.1 is great but only subtlety better.
One thing that surprised me was how atmos "core" tracks sound. In a word, awesome. Not sure why exactly, but they're different than a regular 7.1 track even though to my understanding the only difference is the metadata for the ceiling speakers.

My question may be related. I do not have an Atmos pre/pro. If I buy a movie in Atmos and choose the Atmos soundtrack rather than the 7.1 track, would that work? If so would it be the better track to chose or is 7.1 for 7.1 tracks and Atmos is for Atmos tracks exclusively?

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
My question may be related. I do not have an Atmos pre/pro. If I buy a movie in Atmos and choose the Atmos soundtrack rather than the 7.1 track, would that work? If so would it be the better track to chose or is 7.1 for 7.1 tracks and Atmos is for Atmos tracks exclusively? Thanks:smile:
You won't (shouldn't) hear a difference. Atmos is backwards compatible and your AVR / pre-amp will simply play the Atmos track as 7.1.

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
Exactly. I tried to say that in the end of my post that was quoted. In the movies I have there is not a choice of 7.1 vs 7.1 Atmos. You select the atmos track and it plays normally. Since the avr knows there aren't atmos speakers, there's nothing for it to do. It just plays the core track.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
I have heard Atmos track on a non Atmos AVR and it sounded Different.
On my setup when Atmos is selected the tonality, and soundstage both change, with the front stage moving farther away from the MLP.

1 - 20 of 140 Posts