Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
3,983 Posts
On my setup when Atmos is selected the tonality, and soundstage both change, with the front stage moving farther away from the MLP.

Ron, I'm curious to know if you know why that is. To my understanding, the bed channels are not effected by the atmos decoder.

Having a non atmos system, I can't compare directly, but it seems to me that even core 7.1 tracks are quite amazing. Panning is smoother, stage depth is deeper, and everything just seems mo-betta. Those are back end things I'll probably never know about, but the front end is most definitely improved.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Ron, I'm curious to know if you know why that is. To my understanding, the bed channels are not effected by the atmos decoder.

Having a non atmos system, I can't compare directly, but it seems to me that even core 7.1 tracks are quite amazing. Panning is smoother, stage depth is deeper, and everything just seems mo-betta. Those are back end things I'll probably never know about, but the front end is most definitely improved.
I don't know the answer but it happens with Atmos and non Atmos movies if I choose the DSU.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
For the better?
It is a little darker sounding than without... I want to say that without using the DSU the sound is clearer, sharper, but not as enveloping as using the DSU. I am anxious to hear what your results will be.

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts
Listening in Atoms Up Mix using a non Amost media produces mixed results.
I have also noticed that some non-Atmos movies sound better without up-mixing.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
In anticipation of my Atmos/DTS:X speaker install I thought I'd print off the user manual for my Marantz sr7010. All I can say is WOW! 375 pages and ran my printer out of ink.

image-2063826663.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
7.2.4 is what I'm planning as well. Have you looked into which AVR to get?
Have you started looking and researching? I see you currently have a Yammy. The Yamaha Aventage 3050 was a really tough out for me and I almost went that direction. Glowing reviews!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Haven't started seriously looking yet. That Yammy did get a great review here (HTS), I'm just a bit torn with the YPAO. I'd much rather have Dirac Live. There aren't a lot of options for 11.2! Will probably give A4Less some business. More than likely Marantz or Denon.

You need to take your manual & have it bound!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Haven't started seriously looking yet. That Yammy did get a great review here (HTS), I'm just a bit torn with the YPAO. I'd much rather have Dirac Live. There aren't a lot of options for 11.2! Will probably give A4Less some business. More than likely Marantz or Denon. You need to take your manual & have it bound!
Funny you mention having my manual bound. It just so happens my wife is taking it to work to have that done. As far as Dirac Live I'm with you in wanting it! The Anthem 710 would have been my choice had it been able to do 7.2.4 but it can't. My final 3 were the Marantz, Denon 7200, and the Yamaha 3050. I think any of the 3 would be great choices but the Marantz sounds so good especially with music. In the beginning it was hard for me to tell a difference between it and the Onkyo. My hearing isn't what it once was but everyone that comes over for a demo said movies sound better. When I ask them in what way everyone says it sounds much "fuller". I'm guessing that is the warmer sound that people describe with Marantz products. To be honest movies sound the same to me. Where I here a difference is with music and it is flat out night and day better. Even lowly MP3's sound great!

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Today is the big day. I've got all six speakers mounted up and ready to go. By the EOD I'll be ready for some Atmos action tonight. Pics to follow.

image-2932064807.jpg

21 - 40 of 140 Posts