61 - 80 of 140 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,786 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I've got to say one of the things that might be impressing me more than the Atmos/DTS:X sound immersion is the up mixing. I'm watching Deadpool on PLEX right now and the audio signal is AAC 2.0 and it's downright incredible. For anyone that might be on the fence about upgrading the up mixing alone is worth it.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I am ignoring what I am reading all I see is blah blah blah blah.....This is all a dream jack...pay no attention to the man in Brax. :nono:

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I am ignoring what I am reading all I see is blah blah blah blah.....This is all a dream jack...pay no attention to the man in Brax. :nono:
Hahaha now that right there is funny. So my buddy who's server I use for PLEX tells me halfway through the movie he's uploaded a DTS 5.1 version and to switch to it. I honestly couldn't tell a difference. The up mixing really is outstanding. DO IT!!! :)

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Hahaha now that right there is funny. So my buddy who's server I use for PLEX tells me halfway through the movie he's uploaded a DTS 5.1 version and to switch to it. I honestly couldn't tell a difference. The up mixing really is outstanding. DO IT!!! :)
I dont really understand JB, are you saying the conversion from 5.1 to atmos is that good ?

Frankly, listening to The Wall last night was an amazing experience in 7.2 and there were a ton of overhead cues that kind of freaked me out. Not just the fly overs but the music as well thus in the opinion of the atmos uneducated, seems to be pretty cool without atmos.
I guess I am reluctant for a couple reasons, first I should have gone to the room at the show and second because I would have to purchase new stuff that even if I use my jbraxi mind powers may not work with the lady that sees my bank.

This is just evil, the first time in 2o years that I have my very own room that allows me to do anything I want and I cant do anything I want. This is harder than the Schrodinger's cat thought experiment. :blink:

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
No, you can't up mix to Atmos. What I am basically talking about is the up mixing of say a 2.0, 5.1, or even a 7.1 signal to utilize all of your speakers. I have 11 total speakers now and was able to up mix a 2.0 signal to 7.2.4 and it was impressive. I'll take a pic later tonight to illustrate.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
No, you can't up mix to Atmos. What I am basically talking about is the up mixing of say a 2.0, 5.1, or even a 7.1 signal to utilize all of your speakers. I have 11 total speakers now and was able to up mix a 2.0 signal to 7.2.4 and it was impressive. I'll take a pic later tonight to illustrate.
Ok understood. I found the jump from 5.4 to 7.2 quite stunning really.

I would love to see your photos, gives us all ideas. Me, I am lucky to be able to do in ceiling speakers....ifin I so chose. I did 4 in wall surrounds and that works very very well.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Ok understood. I found the jump from 5.4 to 7.2 quite stunning really. I would love to see your photos, gives us all ideas. Me, I am lucky to be able to do in ceiling speakers....ifin I so chose. I did 4 in wall surrounds and that works very very well.
The pics I'll get tonight show the input signal versus the AVR's up mixed speaker output.

image-2964726903.jpg

·
Banned
4,557 Posts
I'd have to agree with this. Up-mixing is very effective. I struggle with it, though, because it definitely removes the director / sound editors intent.

But, at the end of the day... I guess it doesn't really matter. :R

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I'd have to agree with this. Up-mixing is very effective. I struggle with it, though, because it definitely removes the director / sound editors intent. But, at the end of the day... I guess it doesn't really matter. :R
You're more of a purist than I. I want the best sound possible! It works wonders with older movies as well. Did some demoing of Transformers D.O.M. in particular chapter 17. Did a lot of head shaking. :)

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
This is where wonder about dsu. I've read (from JBrax also) that's it's awesome but I've always had issues with matrixed types of dsp. . In my system for example, 5.1 tracks up sampled to 7.1 are disgustingly dumbed down into a diffusive blob. If I play back in 5.1 imaging is how it's supposed to be. Not sure more speakers equals "better" or just "more". (Native 7.1 tracks are also good.) This of course is more of a question that I have for you guys since I have no atmos... for my sphere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
This is where wonder about dsu. I've read (from JBrax also) that's it's awesome but I've always had issues with matrixed types of dsp. . In my system for example, 5.1 tracks up sampled to 7.1 are disgustingly dumbed down into a diffusive blob. If I play back in 5.1 imaging is how it's supposed to be. Not sure more speakers equals "better" or just "more". (Native 7.1 tracks are also good.) This of course is more of a question that I have for you guys since I have no atmos... for my sphere. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've read that in regards to DSU as well but have yet to experience it. Everything so far has been improved that I've played. Giving Sicario a spin tonight for the second time (first since the upgrade).

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
I've read that in regards to DSU as well but have yet to experience it. Everything so far has been improved that I've played. Giving Sicario a spin tonight for the second time (first since the upgrade).

Btw, thanks for sharing. I'll have to follow vicariously for awhile.

61 - 80 of 140 Posts