Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be buying a new integrated amp in the coming months and was wondering what's the general consensus on the 9.2 audio? I've read several articles saying it's lame but as more material is encoded with it will it get stronger?

I have 7.1 setup now and through my selections assumed its the newer thing, therefore, "I need it." I was looking at the Onkyo NR-5007 becasue it will meet my power needs and seems to be a great amp. But if the IIz is really not that great there are many other cheaper options than those with IIz decoding.

What's the:huh: consensus on Pro Logic IIz? Is it a waste?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I read too. I was just wondering if anybody felt differently.

also I meant to put in my original post.....

How is it that you can have 9 channel audio with a 7 channel amp? I see lots of receivers out there that decode IIz but only have 7 channels. do you assign the rears to the height channels as a tradeoff or have outputs for the height channels to an external stereo amp?

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
They add height speakers, but then say the system only processes non directional sounds. Thats a bit confusing and contradicting IMO, not to mention there is plenty of talk on the web of the human ear not being able to tell all that much difference in the height of sounds anyway. The whole height thing is a bit lost on me, if you have the right kit for your room then it will fill your room with sound anyway and I'm not convinced this makes a difference. Certainly an 8.1 system I heard recently utilising the extra height speakers didnt give any noticeable extra sensation over even my 5.1 that I could tell.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Some people really like the added height or width speakers but most of the professional reviews I have read said it was just OK with some material and worse with others.

I used to think the same thing about 7.1 and the back surrounds until I heard Pro-logic IIx with music, now I think back surrounds are worth it just for PL IIx.

I personally don't have any desire to add height or width channels though as it would be difficult to integrate into my system and the reviews have been so so.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The biggest thing I like is dual separate Audyssey calibrations of the Subwoofer Channel. With many people using 5.1 or 5.2 based systems, having dual Subwoofer calibrations really can be a boon.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Hello,
The biggest thing I like is dual separate Audyssey calibrations of the Subwoofer Channel. With many people using 5.1 or 5.2 based systems, having dual Subwoofer calibrations really can be a boon.
Cheers,
JJ
Thats much more use than 2 height channels imo!

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I personally think its a "hit and miss" option. It depends on how far away you sit from the front wall and how high the speakers are placed.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Unless I completely switch out my Speakers, I really do not see how I could practically implement Front Height Channels. I have been seriously considering adding another Depth Subwoofer and love the idea of having dual subwoofer calibrations.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hello,
Unless I completely switch out my Speakers, I really do not see how I could practically implement Front Height Channels. I have been seriously considering adding another Depth Subwoofer and love the idea of having dual subwoofer calibrations.
Cheers,
JJ
Everything I've read says multiple subwoofers should be calibrated simultaneously, not independently. What is the concept behind the dual subwoofer calibration?

·
Registered
538 Posts
How is it that you can have 9 channel audio with a 7 channel amp? I see lots of receivers out there that decode IIz but only have 7 channels. do you assign the rears to the height channels as a tradeoff or have outputs for the height channels to an external stereo amp?
All the other AVRs out there that decode IIz have 7 powered channels and can only process 7 channels. In other words, you have to sacrifice the use of your rear surrounds to be able to use your height or width channels. You can't even use an extra stereo amp to get 9 channels simultaneously. The Onkyo 1007/8, 3007/8, 5007/8 are the only AVRs I've seen to date that can process and power 9 simultaneous channels. I personally am considering a full 9.2 height system with either the 3008 or 5008. I'll probably test it out with some speakers I have sitting around before I go and buy a pair for the height channels though. I figure there's not really much to lose by having it and if it adds some cool ambient effects then all the better.

·
Registered
887 Posts
All the other AVRs out there that decode IIz have 7 powered channels and can only process 7 channels. In other words, you have to sacrifice the use of your rear surrounds to be able to use your height or width channels. You can't even use an extra stereo amp to get 9 channels simultaneously. The Onkyo 1007/8, 3007/8, 5007/8 are the only AVRs I've seen to date that can process and power 9 simultaneous channels. I personally am considering a full 9.2 height system with either the 3008 or 5008. I'll probably test it out with some speakers I have sitting around before I go and buy a pair for the height channels though. I figure there's not really much to lose by having it and if it adds some cool ambient effects then all the better.
This receiver from Yamaha allows 11.2 output with the use of external amplification :T

http://www.audioholics.com/reviews/receivers/rx-a3000

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Everything I've read says multiple subwoofers should be calibrated simultaneously, not independently. What is the concept behind the dual subwoofer calibration?
Hello,
If using dual subwoofers, having the ability to perform Audyssey on each is a good thing as most dual sub installations are not in the same location. By having each subwoofer calibrated individually, they are maximized for their physical location.

It has only been in the past few years that the ability to have dual sub calibration has been even possible. I cannot think of a disadvantage provided it is an EQ Designed to calibrate dual subs.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
887 Posts
Jungle Jack said:
Hello,
If using dual subwoofers, having the ability to perform Audyssey on each is a good thing as most dual sub installations are not in the same location. By having each subwoofer calibrated individually, they are maximized for their physical location.

It has only been in the past few years that the ability to have dual sub calibration has been even possible. I cannot think of a disadvantage provided it is an EQ Designed to calibrate dual subs.
Cheers,
JJ
Perhaps it is my unfamiliarity with the process that is keeping me from following.

With a more traditional method such as using REW and a peq, it would be a mistake to calibrate dual subs independently. The summed response would not be as desired.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
As far as Audyssey's new SubEQ it does not EQ the subs separately, it only adjusts the phase and polarity of the 2 subs separately then EQ's them as a whole which is the correct way to do it for any set-up. The standalone SVS and Audyssey SubEQ's do the same thing.

·
Registered
350 Posts
You would be hard pressed to find many BD movies with even 7.1. I have not even implemented 7.1 and sticking with 5.1 because of this. IIx is more than whats needed. Perhaps someday I will put up two back speakers but not yet and certainly not 11.1. I think its just marketing in order to sell new receivers without any interest in what is useful.

·
Registered
165 Posts
There are games that use this system. I can well imagine it would be great to add a third dimension to the gaming experience when it comes to sound.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts