1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Doshi Audio / Paragon Sight and Sound - Conifer 1 Conference Room

The system configuration included:

No code has to be inserted here.

There was some other equipment in use, but unfortunately I was unable to get a list as the room was a bit busy while I was there. Treatment was in use in the room with corner traps, panels at the first reflection points and plants.

The Alexia speakers use two woofers - one 8" Paper Pulp and one 10" Paper Pulp - in the lower portion of the cabinet, one 7" cellulose composite midrange, and one 1" doped silk fabric tweeter. They have a stated FR of 20 Hz - 32 kHz with a nominal impedance of 4 ohms and sensitivity of 90db. They weigh in at a solid 256 lbs each.

Joe's Impressions

I really liked the look of this system - the Alexia speakers have a unique cabinet design that has a lot of contouring and the finish was simply gorgeous. The Jhor 160 monoblocks set the speakers off very well with a simple, classy look.

Fortunately for me, Sonnie was able to get his CD played which allowed us to hear music with which we were familiar. The first track was the Melody Gardot track - it just had such a smooth sound that I initially thought it was a ribbon or planar tweeter. As we continued to listen though, I drew back from that assumption as I could begin to hear what I consider a more "controlled" sound I normally associate with a dome tweeter. Vocal imaging was locked in the center, but I thought the soundstage felt a bit narrow - I really expected a "live" feeling but just did not get a feeling of spaciousness. Vocal dynamics were handled extremely well with no signs of strain. On the Roger Waters track, the female part imaged left as expected.

Instrument detail was excellent - the drum "brushes" and guitar plucks were very vibrant in the Gardot track. Then, the piano started in and this system really shone - I just loved the crispness and detail of the piano. I really liked the instrument detail, but there were times I felt that instrument imaging smeared to the middle and did not have the separation I like to hear.

Overall, I thought this was a good system as it had excellent instrument detail, but it was not one of the best I heard over the weekend.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Joe, I have to admit I was a little disappointed to read your review. I certainly expected the Wilsons to sound amazing (as I would hope a pair of $50k speakers would) and it must have been a big let down for you in person too. to be fair, I guess they were performing in a less than ideal environment, but so is everyone at a show with limited control over the room acoustics. It doesn't look like they had a lot of treatment in the room, I wonder if that would have cleaned things up.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Joe, I have to admit I was a little disappointed to read your review. I certainly expected the Wilsons to sound amazing (as I would hope a pair of $50k speakers would) and it must have been a big let down for you in person too. to be fair, I guess they were performing in a less than ideal environment, but so is everyone at a show with limited control over the room acoustics. It doesn't look like they had a lot of treatment in the room, I wonder if that would have cleaned things up.
It might have Owen - and I think they could have stood to move these a bit further into the room as well to really deepen the soundstage. The more I hear though, the more I find my personal tastes leaning to the ribbon/planar and horn speakers...

·
Premium Member
1,562 Posts
Everything I have read indicates these Wilsons are very well designed and should compete in a par with other top tier options. It would be hard to be critical of any of the design choices or the resulting product quality. That said, the room, positioning, and personal preferences regarding the sound field is always a major factor.

Hmm, I probably better take these home for a few months to see if I am right! :D

·
Registered
887 Posts
I wanted better photos of the speakers so I went to the Wilson Audio website. I think it is a pretty cool looking speaker. Kind of reminds me of something out of the old battlestar galactica for some reason. Not sure if my wife would feel the same way but if I had $50k to spend on a pair of speakers I'm sure we would be able to work something out :bigsmile:

For those that don't want to open a new tab, here is the marketing video

Question for anyone: What do you suppose they mean by propagation delay?

Nevermind, before I even posted I found the question answered here. Basically time alignment through physical adjustment of the modular enclosures. Pretty cool, would take some very extensive setup I'm guessing. I'm taking out of their description that they feel it is superior to just adding delay with electronics because it will work for a larger listening area.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Also, here are some pics of the preamp and monoblock amps:

Alaap preamp

Jhor monoblocks

Hand-built in the USA, can't complain about that! Pretty high $/watt but the amps and preamp are basically little works of sculpture.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Sculpture indeed. Maybe I'm just getting old, but tubes are becoming more and more attractive to me lately. It doesn't hurt that they're great looking pieces of gear, especially when you can set them up and display them properly. I'd like to have a nice little tube setup for listening one day.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts