Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 100 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I am not sure you have enough weight there holding the side panel on. I don't know how heavy a beer bottle is but you made need some more on top. :D

Looks good so far. Have you broken in the drivers yet?

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thank you! This was a challenging build, but very fun. My wife is interested in these only because they will be out of site and she is even happier now that they are out of our rec-room (wreck room). The garage floor isn't level enough to build big boxes. I lugged one upstairs to the living room to see if they pressurize the room as I had hoped. I installed the driver and let her rip. I'm going to go ahead and say that two of these are going to give me more bass than I could have ever imagined. I still can't believe how great it sounds. The cool part is that it doesn't lose any steam down low. It just keeps on givin'. I have my HP set at 15hz with a 12db/oct.

It's HUGE. I put it here to listen to it before I finish with paint. I moved a bunch of furniture around like it is in it's new home and am leaving it there to annoy my wife when she gets home. Hopefully I can leave it there for at least a couple of movies.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I am not sure you have enough weight there holding the side panel on. I don't know how heavy a beer bottle is but you made need some more on top. :D

Looks good so far. Have you broken in the drivers yet?
That ain't no light beer, Son! There is a metal ruler to help with the weight too.

It sounds awesome! I gave myself a smashing headache during the test run. :hsd:

·
Premium Member
5,784 Posts
Looks great! My wife wants nothing to do with my hobby either.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I wish I had taken some photos of me lugging it up to my family room. This thing weighs about 300 pounds (136kg) before the driver. I used a furniture dolly to get it to the driveway and flipped it so the heavy side was up, horn mouth at the bottom. Then I leaned one side against the tailgate of my truck and used every last ounce of strength I had to basically do a dead lift squat to get it into the back of the truck. Then I backed my truck up my front yard to the 4 steps up to the front door. I ran some 2x4s from the truck gate to the porch and slid the box across to the porch. Leaned it back up on to the dolly and muscled it into the house. Once the driver was in, I could BARELY lift a corner of it to flip it twice for right side up to get it back on the dolly to place it in the living room

I watched Olympus Has Fallen last night and the Gjallarhorn takes films to the next level of the LFE experience. Two sealed LMS-U is pretty nice and is probably enough, but they don't pressurize my room as I would like with all of the openings to the room. My eyes were on the clip indicator of the fp14000 clone because this film has higher than normal LFE compared anything else I have watched. I lowered the gain on the Sub channel all the way to -5db and still made it to the red at -10db from reference on the AVR. Every other film I watch is safe to -5db from reference well before clipping. The monument falling scene completely knocked over the 6 photo frames on our side table. I was grinning ear-to-ear and kept watching that scene over and over. And this was with one...

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I made the recess cuts for the Speakon connectors today.

15/16" hole is just right

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I've slowed down on the finishing of the exterior of the G-Horns now that I have one in play. I'll ramp back up next week so that I have them finished by December.

I'm loving this sub more and more every day. I re-ran REW, added some different filters for the miniDSP and rebuilt my house curve, removed double-bass from the 818 to my mains which sounded good with the LMS-Us sealed but overpowering honky mid-bass with the horn, increased the CC XO to 80hz, and now it is silky smooth, effortless, seemingly unlimited LFE.

Pacific Rim last night - I was wiped out half way through and had to turn it down. I have been in "let's see what this baby will do" mode and things in my house are starting to break. I saw it, so time to behave myself for a day or one. Good times!

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Awesome to hear things are going well with the Ghorn. :D

·
Registered
70 Posts
Awesome build! Tapped horns are beasts!

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks guys! I love building horns. Tomorrow I have a bit of time to do some more finish work.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Do you know of anyone who has built the dual 15 version yet?

41 - 60 of 100 Posts