Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Do you know of anyone who has built the dual 15 version yet?
I haven't seen anyone actually build one. Lots of talk and then they usually go with the UXL or LMSU, and more often than not, go with something easier, cheaper, and smaller. The G-horn sounds like a great idea looking at the performance on paper, then reality sets in when trying to figure out where to put it, how much it costs to make and load it, eq it, and power it.

Your thread makes me want to build one of these for myself. Yeah, I know... Just one.
Do it! One should be plenty if well placed. I built two because my room is the black hole of bass.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I haven't seen anyone actually build one. Lots of talk and then they usually go with the UXL or LMSU, and more often than not, go with something easier, cheaper, and smaller. The G-horn sounds like a great idea looking at the performance on paper, then reality sets in when trying to figure out where to put it, how much it costs to make and load it, eq it, and power it.

Do it! One should be plenty if well placed. I built two because my room is the black hole of bass.
As much as I'd like to, I don't think I could fit it in my room. I'll probably go with something easier, cheaper, and smaller.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
That's no joke - our vision was literally impaired. The 2nd Gjallarhorn is a successfully working beast. Several of the KC Crew came over today and we watched some clips, listened to some music, and enjoyed the new subs. The scene from pulse was a favorite. The only room for the other horn is right up against the end of the main couch, and talk about the tactile feel! Too bad they have to be tucked neatly away into the attic. Hopefully they make the floor bounce as well when they are in their final resting place.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
That's no joke - our vision was literally impaired. The 2nd Gjallarhorn is a successfully working beast. Several of the KC Crew came over today and we watched some clips, listened to some music, and enjoyed the new subs. The scene from pulse was a favorite. The only room for the other horn is right up against the end of the main couch, and talk about the tactile feel! Too bad they have to be tucked neatly away into the attic. Hopefully they make the floor bounce as well when they are in their final resting place.
Really well done here Doug - and I envy you guys in the KC area. You have a really good sized HT crew down that way for GTGs...

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Really well done here Doug - and I envy you guys in the KC area. You have a really good sized HT crew down that way for GTGs...
Thanks Joe! I am just realizing how many HT and audio nuts we have close together. Great bunch of guys, and smart ones. I'm the dummy of the group as usual! We are trying to get some things together soon.

Any updates?
Jim - I am tearing out the main wall in my family room tomorrow and adding some bigger, longer headers to the opening (not in that order). After that, the horns go to the attic for measurement for the best placement. Right now I have one of the horns set up in a makeshift TV room that I made out of our dining room. The G-Horn is used as the "coffee table" between the couch and TV and makes for serious nearfield sub. It only needs about 20% of the power compared to the level before at that range.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I was actually debating using it in a coffee table like manner or with a pair of PRs. Either way, my theater still has a lot of growing to do before the LMS gets to join the bunch. I've really enjoyed reading your build though!

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I was actually debating using it in a coffee table like manner or with a pair of PRs. Either way, my theater still has a lot of growing to do before the LMS gets to join the bunch. I've really enjoyed reading your build though!
That would be awesome. Nearfield bass is an experience.

Doug, any structural concerns about the horns living in the attic? Not that they'd blow the roof off if ported into the theatre, but other superficial rattles, vents, wiring, etc.?
Nah. The enclosure has little or no vibrations. I will cut some rubber floor mats into strips to line the framing for the boxes. The violence out of the horn mouth causes some serious noise in the room and I will have to be creative with padding things since this is a general use space. Right now one of them shakes all of the glassware in the kitchen cabinets to the middle and they rattle. I will put some rubber shelf liner to keep them in their place.

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
I have the first couple of coats of Kilz on, now I have some sanding on the horn mouth, and a couple of coats of finish.

·
Registered
70 Posts
+1!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Nice!

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
They look awesome Doug!

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Thanks guys! I used a Sherwin Williams Oil, 50% Vellum, and Kilz oil as the base. It is what I use on all my trim. I ended up only using finish on the horn mouth since I knew they would get all scuffed up when I was moving them around to find the best position.

Somebody in another thread mentioned that I can time align these instead of moving them, ie, put them in the corners where they will look the best and benefit most from corner loading. Then change the delay on them until I find the smoothest response, which is supposed to be the same as moving them. Can this work?

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Thanks guys! I used a Sherwin Williams Oil, 50% Vellum, and Kilz oil as the base. It is what I use on all my trim. I ended up only using finish on the horn mouth since I knew they would get all scuffed up when I was moving them around to find the best position.

Somebody in another thread mentioned that I can time align these instead of moving them, ie, put them in the corners where they will look the best and benefit most from corner loading. Then change the delay on them until I find the smoothest response, which is supposed to be the same as moving them. Can this work?
I have really enjoyed working with wood over the last couple years, and I am really interested in different methods of finishing so thanks for the description.

I actually tried that approach. It wasn't until I moved them around that I got my best response, and I spent a few days playing with delays and phasing to try to get them to work in the corners. Your results may vary of course, but I am firmly in the "move em around" camp.

61 - 80 of 100 Posts