Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 100 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I have a nice SATA sprayer that I was planning to use for them, but I just brushed them and was done. I won't be so lazy on my mains since they will be out in the open.

I will play with the delays and phasing a bit and see if I can figure something out and report back. There is so much happening right now with the remodel that it is overwhelming.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
I have a nice SATA sprayer that I was planning to use for them, but I just brushed them and was done. I won't be so lazy on my mains since they will be out in the open.

I will play with the delays and phasing a bit and see if I can figure something out and report back. There is so much happening right now with the remodel that it is overwhelming.
I hear you there! You must be one of those guys who is always thinking ahead to the next project too... ;)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Somebody in another thread mentioned that I can time align these instead of moving them, ie, put them in the corners where they will look the best and benefit most from corner loading. Then change the delay on them until I find the smoothest response, which is supposed to be the same as moving them. Can this work?
While that might help with the timing, my guess is moving is better. Your biggest problem is likely room modes, rather than timing. That being said, some acoustic treatments combined with an EQ that includes time delay could probably do the trick.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
these are ABSOLUTELY sick doug... it's sad that I JUST build 2 SI 18's in ported 11.5 cu ft boxes, and I now want to build 2 GJallahorns...ugh

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
these are ABSOLUTELY sick doug... it's sad that I JUST build 2 SI 18's in ported 11.5 cu ft boxes, and I now want to build 2 GJallahorns...ugh
It's OK Mike, that's why we have this support group: to talk about our urges. I am already thinking about a LLT like yours for behind my couch for nearfield. I have 12g wire running there and to the two rear corners in case that doesn't do it. I am almost ready to start my SEOS mains, so we will soon be twinzies with our giant subs and SEOS. It's killing me to have these subs finished and looming overhead while I work on the remodel. The sad thing is that I have a single SDX15 in the temporary TV room, and it sounds so good in that little room. Big rooms really take the oompf out of bass.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
lol, I know how you feel. I have a 12x22 foot front room with my HT gear, but it's a southwest ranch style home so it has open archways to a nother 8x22 foot room, a kitchen and the back hallway... I'm seriously considering doing a GJallahorn or two or adding another 2 marty subs. to make 4 of them

·
Registered
70 Posts
My kind of bassheads!

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
sooooooooooooooooo, how are you liking the horns doug?

I'm still thinking of building a pair with the UXL instead of the LMS ultra (price is too big for too small a performance gain in my situation) to replace my two 12 cu foot ported SI 18's.... they give you all the output you could want? my two marty subs are getting tapped out in my ranch style house and it's either 2 of these, 4 more SI 18's and make my two into 6 sealed, or just add one or two more marty's.... (yes I know, the disease to build has set in again)

·
Registered
61 Posts
To really firm up the box I'd put granite tile on the exterior. Would add a lot of rigidity and mass. Though you'll need a fork lift to move it around...hey, you've gone this far why stop now!

·
Registered
28 Posts
To really firm up the box I'd put granite tile on the exterior. Would add a lot of rigidity and mass. Though you'll need a fork lift to move it around...hey, you've gone this far why stop now!
Don't need more rigidity or mass on the sides. Most of the pressure is inside the throat near the driver. The weight and size is already pushing it as well.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Where's the link to your build log?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Was there any hornresp input parameters posted? I wanted to play around with it, different drivers etc. Awesome build! oh, google search! Cant delete post, sorry.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Was there any hornresp input parameters posted? I wanted to play around with it, different drivers etc. Awesome build! oh, google search! Cant delete post, sorry.
There are not many other drivers if any at all that will work in this horn other than the TC Ultra.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Looking at a TC-9 in 12" and 15". Didn't like the Qts on Ultimax 18".
Those drivers dont work in the Ghorn though. If you would like to start your own thread on using those drivers in a build please do. The Ghorn is no longer because the driver is not available anymore. If you would like to build a large horn with extension similar to the Ghorn then build the FLH Submaximus.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
The uxl-18 made a good drop-in for those who can't find the ultra

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
The UXL prove to work "OK," in the Ghorn. That is also why LTD decided to make a new horn design for the UXL.(Submaximus) When inductance simulated along with the horn design things dont look as pretty anymore. So that is also why the large driver VC attribute is now a part of the Horn Reponse simulator.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
5,742 Posts
true, I forgot about the submaximus... although the UXL-18 does whicked in the Lowarhorn, which is kind of an offshoot of the Ghorn with similar results and want to keep the horn style of subs

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Yes that is another great option. Not as well documented but another great example.

81 - 100 of 100 Posts