Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I'm planning to build a down-firing active sub for my home theater. I have a JBL double coil car sub driver. If I connect the coils in series, the resistance is 4 ohms. Referring to T/S parameters, it looks like a good choice to make a nice sub, but it looks fairly ugly, so I decided to build a down-firing bass reflex construction, where the driver is not visible, because it's facing towards the floor. My question, is it matters, how far the driver from the floor? Second question is can I put the reflex facing front, or is the reflex tube should fire downward as well as the driver? If anyone have experience with this kind of construction, please give me some councils. Thanks. :help:

·
Registered
922 Posts
You can build a down firing sub and have the port on another side, such as the front or back. Make sure the sub does not hit the floor when full excursion is applied.b car subs dont make the greatest H/T subs but anything is possible so have some fun!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just recently done a similar thing as our living space is tiny I needed to be adaptive.
Mine is built in to the sofa itself firing down, at 1" clearance it was OK but another 1" made it much better.
Be wary of the floor structure as a board/wooden floor will resonate and flex (like mine does) at any good volume.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts