Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am completely new to all of this. I have decided to make a speaker unit for my Final Year project at university.

I was planning on using a Down firing woofer system. my first question (of many, probably) is:

What sort of enclosure do you use for a down firing woofer (generally)?

I would assume from what is out there and what i have researched, the main choices would be a passive enclosure or a sealed enclosure.

Cheers,
Dan :bigsmile:

·
Registered
329 Posts
http://www.parts-express.com/resources/woofer-mount-up-down.cfm

This site will help. If you're a final year university student, especially in engineering, then the math should be relatively simple for you.

What is it you're studying? What do you hope to accomplish or what is your design goals?

The box type you use will depend on the speaker you choose and also on the goals you hope to obtain, along with your type of room, etc.

There is plenty of information already here, just use the search function.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am Studying Product design.. The project is effectively a wireless outdoor speaker unit.

Because my knowledge of this area is very low, i am very much reliant on looking at similar products, and picking up tips.

So any help in picking the correct speaker would be good. I am pretty sure i want to go for an 8" woofer with about 90dB SLP.. but as i say, any help with speaker choice and box would be helpful

Cheers

·
Registered
430 Posts
Wireless outdoor speaker. Things you'll need.
-Transmitter and reciever
-Waterproof amp
-Water resistant sub driver.
-110v power source for the amp, but it's easy enough to run the wire underground. It also defeats the purpose of it being "wireless"

Next thing, bass outside is hard to attain due to the sub operating in 1/2 space. That said, it typically requires 2 of the 3 listed (all 3 if you need a lot of output)
-Horn loading
-Lots of power
-Lots of woofage (meaning a lot of small subs or a few large subs)

So, can an 8" ported (assuming you go ported) sub with a 50-100w make bass? Yes.
Will it be a functioning product that could get you an A? Yes.
Is it something that will make the neighbors mad because their window's are rattling? No.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers for that, some useful information there..

The main reason for the "wireless" elements is to keep the source (i.e. ipod, mp3, laptop etc) inside, and therefore away from weather or drinks spillages.. Because of this, i also need to have standard controls (skip fwd, skip back, pause/play) on the unit its self.

Cheers for the tips so far, they are really useful!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I looked into making outdoor subs for the pool. I purchased 4 DIYMA R12's (aluminum cone, rubber surround 12" subs) that I was going to be putting into two enclosures, each ported with the subwoofers firing at about a 60deg angle towards each other mounted in the middle of the enclosure with over hangs to protect them from rain/splashing (I'd have to draw a picture). I didn't want to go down firing due to potential vibrations/walking and mounted at 60deg should cancel out most vibrations.

My amp, pre/pro, and source unit were then going to be installed in a waterproof plastic cabinet that I could take the front and back off for ventilation. I was going to use a Crown CE4000 and a DEQ-2496. I have (or should I say had) all the equipment purchased, but I ran out of money for the rest of the system (above 90hz) and started selling stuff off.

Anyway, moral of the story is you can have conventional amps and equipment if you can figure out a way to water proof them. However, I do like your wireless idea, but it's still possible to use a conventional amp in an enclosure to keep it from getting wet. If you get creative, you might be able to come up with something.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.