Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Building my first down firing box. I have a pretty hefty eD 160v.2 that I obtained when eD was clearing them out. I was wondering how best to secure it to the bottom of the box. Just screw it in as I would a front firing application? Mount from inside the box? Sandwich it in somehow?

TIA

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like the bolt idea. I was wondering about that. Looks better IMO. But, how would you get the Sub out ,if you needed to, after the box is together? Do you inset or glue the bolt heads down from the backside?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
The T-nuts mount on the inside and you thread the bolts in from the outside. T-nuts don't hold in MDF very well. First you drill the pilot holes and then glue 1/4 inch plywood squares where the hole are. Then finish drilling through the plywood squares and pound the T-nuts into that. Then hot glue the perimeter of the T-nuts to the plywood. In 9 subwoofer builds I haven't had a problem.

Second and third pic in this thread will show you what I mean.

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-sealed-ported/8554-mach-5-audio-ixl-18-4-build.html

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mike, I just thought of something I was going to ask. I can start a new thread if need be.

If you remember I have a eD 160v.2 with 11^3 box that will be down firing. I was going to place it about 6" off the floor.
1.) Is 6" about right? How do I come up with the distance from floor it should be? Does it matter?

2.)I was going to put the legs on and then put a, for lack of better word, bottom on it. Basically just a trimmed out built in platform for it to sit on. Should I avoid this and letter it stand on the floor? I have wood flooring on concrete. Would a carpet mat be a good idea?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great! I to thought a base would make it look much nicer. I'll read up on the distance from floor thread.

Thanks for the help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts