Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just spent 3 hours updating my laptop. then i downloaded REW and JAVA. or so i think. installing REW says i need JAVA. i reinstalled java. doesn't work. i don't even know what to ask.
windows xp pro, firefox.

me = :gah:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yep. thats what i used. i turned off firewall, as per instructions.

does it make a difference "where" i save the files ?

i have everything i need(i think. didn't actually hook up the wires) to use REW. if i could only get it to work.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you go to the Windows Control panel and start the Java application, does it all look good?

brucek
ok, i just booted it up. and i am looking at the "control panel". i don't see java, though i'm sure its here somewhere.:scratchhead:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i figured it out :duh:

this program looks AWESOME :T. looks like i will be :scratchhead: :ponder: for a while.

lol, i LOVE the smilies here :yes:

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanx. i will try to, as my time is going to be very limited for a while = total bathroom/shower remodel.

i am on the laptop now, tryin to get some files.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can i use the video audio L/R input on the front of my pioneer 01txh ?
this would make things cleaner/easier for me.

tia

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ITS WORKING :jump: i just played with it some. WICKED COOL is what i got to say !!!
only down side i can see now, is i can't upload to my DCX2496. or can i ?

well, got to go. time for shopping.

THANX to those that made this possible :hail:

can i donate will a credit card, or what ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:T i'm going to play with it some more, in a few = waiting for this stupid laptop to finish whatever it is doing.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
as i said, its working. but i have a "LOT" to learn. there are lots of settings, etc. idk if i even have it set correctly, or even close. as it is now, i have massive peaks from 17ish - 45ish. something like +35db :eek: . 75db calibration (assuming i have this set correct). peaking up around 112db. now, i am highly assuming this is incorrect. also. when i do a manual sweep, i don't get these peaks = not flat of course, but not even close to +35db.

right now, my MAIN goal. is to tame any massive peaks, that may be causing potential problems/damage.
for now, i am watching non action movies, and/or keeping the subs set low.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
if i even have it set correctly
Follow the basic steps outlined below:

You need to first create a soundcard calibration file.

Until that is accomplished there are no connections to an SPL meter or sub or receiver required.

Simply connect a loopback cable from the right channel line-out to the right channel line-in. Be sure to select the right channel for the input channel on the REW Settings page.

Run the soundcard Calibration Measure routine and save the file with the Make Cal button.

Now, with the loopback still in place, and the new soundcard cal file loaded, and the meter cal file clear, run a Check Levels routine (select Main speaker to Check/Set Levels), and when done, exit the Settings page and run a Calibrate routine (select Use REW speaker Cal signal) and set the level to 75dB.

Now run a Measurement from 0-20000Hz and the result should be a flat trace (because a cable should measure perfectly flat).

Remove the loopback and use that calibrated channel for the SPL meter and connection to your receiver.

Hook up the SPL meter to the line-in (be sure to load the meter calibration file).

Hook up the receiver from the line-out. Use the AUX or CD input on the receiver with a Y-splitter so you can check both left and right speakers and sub.

Run Check Levels routine at 75dB (with the meter at the listening position).

Run Calibrate routine.

Measure.

Show us your graph.

Be sure that for subwoofers, always use the standard Vertical graph axis of (45dB - 105dB) and the Horizontal graph axis of (15Hz - 200Hz) using the Graph Limits button in the top right corner of REW. Use a measurement start frequency of 0Hz and an end frequency of 200Hz.

brucek

1 - 14 of 14 Posts