Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there,

I'm in the final stages of integrating a sub I just built into my home theater. I built a PR designed sub with a TC Sound LMS 5400 and two AESpeakers PR-18 1600s. It was originally designed to be a downward firing sub (that is, it can sit 6" off the ground). Since the sub will be located on my stage behind my screen, I have the flexibility to position the driver in either an upward or downward firing position. I contacted TC Sounds support and they confirmed the driver will be fine in either position.

My question is whether it matters from an acoustics point of view if the driver is pointing up or pointing down. I realize the physical location of the box is important, but I’m curious about the driver firing position. What are your thoughts on this?

You might ask, why not just flip the box over and measure it both ways? Good question… it’s not that easy though since the box is made out of 1” MDF and the driver alone ways ~90 pounds. I haven’t had a chance to invite a neighbor over and get some additional help yet.

Thanks for the great forum.

Shawn

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the comments. Any particular reason for your downfiring recommendation? Or is it just because this is the most common?

Shawn

1 - 7 of 7 Posts