Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a decent sized thread going over in the IB installs area. One question I have now I figured I'd drop in here for you all to help me with. I'm new to DIY, but am an EE so hope to pick up on everything quickly.

I've got my dual DPL-15 manifold infinite baffle setup almost complete and am now looking at the WinISD models for my setup. I'll probably soon go to 4 drivers, but for now I'm modeling for my current 2. I'll be running an EP4000 and am trying to figure out how to not damage anything accidentally. The EP4000 can put out 550W RMS to 8ohm loads when not bridged. If I look at the cone excursion graph in WinISD for my dual setup, it shows 32mm for the <10Hz area, but the driver's xmax is 22mm! Even at 20Hz its saying I'll hit 24mm. So my question is, do I need to use my BFD to eq the snot out of this to make it safe?

The max power rating for the DPL-15s is stated as 600W. Since they're IB only drivers, I'd figured they mean 600W RMS for a single driver in an IB setup. WinISD shows 48mm max cone excursion for these numbers. How can they even come close to being able to handle 600W then? What am I missing here? Obviously I can lower the master gain on the amp to stay safe, but I'm just wondering in what world 600W would not equal a dead speaker. Do I simply not have to worry because no movie will push the max?

Link to my IB thread: http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...wife-said-yes-holes-walls-new-ib-plz-hlp.html

I appreciate anybody's thoughts!

·
Registered
177 Posts
I believe the notes on the DPL-15 state they only need 200 to 250 watts in an IB setup. The 600w rating is more a function of the heat dissipation ability of the motor.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I believe the notes on the DPL-15 state they only need 200 to 250 watts in an IB setup. The 600w rating is more a function of the heat dissipation ability of the motor.
Thanks. It makes sense now. The rating is a voice coil rating only. That means you can push 600W just fine as long as you eq it to prevent cone excursion going outside of limits.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts