Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks, the room is 13 feet wide by 16 feet long. It has 10ft coffered ceiling which makes the room look MUCH larger than it really is. The 10 foot ceilings seem to really help with the 70hz bass problem. I took today off work to work on the room. So now with a 3 day weekend I hope to get a LOT done. :R

Matt

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words.

I am in a state of shock and amazement!! I knew a home theater would be cool but tonight was unreal. I watched the Eagles live in concert DVD and it was like nothing I have ever experienced. I have been into audio my whole life and have never experienced music like this. Between the room, the Maggies and the projector it was breathtaking. It was so moving it almost brought me to tears. It is a shame that not everyone has a dedicated HT room. Everyone should experience this at least once in there lifetime. Thanks guys for all the help and if anyone lives in the central CA area I would love to share the experience. :) Fabric wall panels are half way done. I will post pics tomorrow. I have a new respect for all you who have built a dedicated HT room! This is a lot of work but oh so worth it.

Matt

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Eagles in Melbourne? Of course any Eagles is good... :T

You are moving on quite nicely with this... in comparison to my slow pokin' self. :whistling:

I like the lighted soffit idea... those look pretty cool. I would like to see how yours will turn out.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Eagles in Melbourne? Of course any Eagles is good...
Yep, that is the DVD. Watching it at 114 inches was almost as good as being there and in some ways better. :bigsmile: Amen on the Eagles.

Hopefully we will get to see the sofits sooner rather than later. I am planning on finishing the fabric this week and weekend but these 12 - 14 hour days are taking a toll on me. Not sure how much longer I can go. :hissyfit: I took the night off last night which was nice. :jump:

Thanks again for the kind words.

Matt

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Pics from the weekend. Sound Board wrapped in fabric and stapled to the walls.

Front wall 80% done. Waiting on wood panels.

One side almost done and the sofits waiting on lights and insulation.

Time for the pizza. :dumbcrazy:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Oh yeah... rub it in with the pizza...
Sorry could not help it. We need to have a Theatershack meet and I will make pizza's. :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I need some Construction Advice. I have coffered ceiling built with 2x6's every few feet. I hung a 40lb drop ceiling using 6 inch stainless steel lag screws and heavy duty brackets. Do you think that 40lbs or so is to much for a coffered ceiling?

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
No idea how it's attached to the structure to say if it's too much or not. You're saying the whole ceiling is only 40lb? I'd be very surprised if that's all it is.

On a side note, why are you covering the coffer? That's actually a nice acoustical element to break things up with out deadening things.

Bryan

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I put fabric on the side angles of the coffer and put 4inch drop ceiling in the middle of the coffer which weights 40lbs. The center section is 7 feet wide by 10 feet long. So the look of the coffer is there but in black fabric with LED stars. Just wondering if the center section is to much weight for the ceiling. Do not want it falling on someone. :thumbsdown:

Matt

·
Premium Member
5,288 Posts
OK. We're talking about different things with a coffer. I see what you did.

If the whole thing only weighs 40 lbs, you should be fine.

Bryan

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
I see you mention Magnepan speakers. Any thoughts about them for a theater? I'm been researching them lately... I found lots of praise for them for music - but not a lot of feedback about them in a theater...

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 · (Edited)
I have mixed feeling for Maggies. I love their transient response and breathtaking mid range but the MC1's have NO mid bass and their dynamic range is really lacking. They are also, very inefficient and require enormous amounts of power. If you are willing to take the time to set them up and have lots of power on hand they can sound like magic.

Matt

·
Registered
59 Posts
Matt:

I like your theater build. DIY is so much fun!

I see you mention Magnepan speakers. Any thoughts about them for a theater? I'm been researching them lately... I found lots of praise for them for music - but not a lot of feedback about them in a theater...

Bruce:

I use Magnepan MG3As in my theater. What they do for music they do for movies too. But I agree with Matt about the smaller Magnepans, they just don't have enough in the low end. A lot of people think that even the MG3As are weak at the bottom but I don't find that to be the case. Any way for the very bottom I use four 18 inch subs in the ceiling. Also if you look at my theater you will see I use one sideways for the center, it sounds great for the two center seats in both rows but the dispersion is a little narrow so the top end is a little weak at the edge seats.

Steve
http://www.kn7f.com/Theater/Finished/

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Yepppeeeeeeeeeeeeeee the room is 99.9% complete!!!!!! THANKS GUYS for the help and inspiration. :)

Here is a video :bigsmile:

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Equipment list has changed though. :) No more Maggies. The front speakers are DIY and ran through a DCX2496 and powered by a 500 watt 4 channel class A Soundstream car audio amplifier. :flex: lol I needed more dynamic range and the compression horn drivers seem to be the ticket. :) I was also able to hide the fronts from view behind the red curtains.

The center channel is also DIY and consists of 2 Mark Audio full range drivers. I still need to do measurements and tweaking but so far the system sounds much better.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts