Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with this screen?

I'm considering another upgrade to my home projection screen. Its a DIY black widow atm, but Id like something more substantial for the ambient light fighting. Its a living room situation, white walls, vaulted ceilings. Rented and impossible to paint. It is what it is unfortunately.

I know theres only so much to ask for in the day time, but im primarily trying to fight the white wall reflections at night.
I looked into DNP supernova and its 1700$ for my screen size, out of budget.

It seems like many people recommend this screen as a lesser dnp/black diamond alternative, but reviews are slim

Thoughts?

As an aside, my new setup should be able to smoke the screen with about 30-35 lumens according to projector central. Im still setting it up as its a new house. So my cheaper consideration was BW 6.4, but thats still in developement and has no real readings yet.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Did you ever get to try the 2.1 mechman? I'm going for a demo of it at my dealer next month as I'm considering one for my living room set up. I know my (lightly decorated) room is effecting image quality with my matt white (1.5 gain) screen, but there isn't much more I can do apart from a big dark rug I persuaded my OH that we should get.

I've recent changed my speakers which used to be each side of my screen, to different ones (MK MP150) and they are just below my screen, so I can also go for a slightly wider screen at the same time. I currently have to use my Lumagen to crop 3" each side when using my A lens as my throw is slightly too long for the screen, so it's not as if I'll need to change the zoom on the projector either, just turn off the cropping.

I'll end up with a 3 metre wide 2.40:1 aspect screen (another gripe as my current is 2.35:1 and I regret not getting a 2.40:1 last time), viewed from about 3.8 metres, up from my current 2.80 metre wide.

The nagging doubt I have though is the memory of my first screen which was a Greywolf II 16:9 which had a horrible texture, though it did help with room reflections (or rather I became aware of them when I changed to the matt white one I currently have). Any hint of texture will put me off, then I don't know what I would do since it has to be an electric screen as there is a window behind (and a TV below).

·
Registered
81 Posts
Interested in this screen as well... love my 2.8 HP, but would sacrifice some gain for decent ambient light (contrast) performance and don't have the patience/time/motivation for DIY anymore.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts