Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what people think are the major drawbacks to painting a screen on a wall and not using a border or frame of any kind around it?

Does anybody project on too this type of setup?

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
I was wondering what people think are the major drawbacks to painting a screen on a wall and not using a border or frame of any kind around it?

Does anybody project on too this type of setup?
The wall can crack. Moving the screen requires some delicate work. :bigsmile:

You could be very sloppy with the paint and be wearing the screen.

In reality you should line the area with painter's tape before painting a wall.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
Another factor is the perceptual effect of the surrounding color. If it is not neutral and is illuminated it may affect the perceived color of the light on the screen.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
I think Trizzly is talking about painting the entire wall the color of the screen and then just projecting onto that, and when not watching a movie nobody would know there is a screen/projector setup. Is that an accurate statement Trizzly?

The advantage of having a border is that it provides a black reference for our eyes and brain and 'anchors' the blacks, providing a better percieved CR. It also acts to provide a frame for the image.

Borders certainly aren't required, look at your local cineplex for example, they don't have a border around the screen. They do however have curtains that 'frame' the screen area and can be adjusted according to the aspect ratio of the movie playing.

If you are particularly interested, you can buy a magnetic primer and make a removable boarder that you put up and take down when movie night is over. Don't anyone laugh, this isn't a hair brained idea. Vogel's Mighty Whitey screen used a magnetic board just like this. I've seen the magnetic paint in craft stores and I saw it in one Home Depot. I don't know if all Home Depots carry it and I can't recall the name right now. The magnetic board material will be something you'd have to do some research with and probably be a little creative, but it can be done.

This would provide you with a wall that nobody would know is a screen until you started projecting onto it, and if its a special event or movie you could put the boarder up and then take it down and nobody would know!

Someone on here that's from the UK painted the entire wall but didn't do the magnetic base coat/board method, so it has been done and isn't a crazy idea.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
"Anchoring" the blacks may require a boarder of something other than black. We just started a thread on room environment that you screen guys may want to contribute some ideas to.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
The main reason to use a black border on a screen is to visibly separate the screen from the wall and to absorb any of the image that may spill out of the screen area when projecting. Most agree that a black border will increase the perceived contrast of the projected image - this effect can even be heightened by having some dim back-lighting behind the screen that makes the wall area immediately outside the border brighter (Mech has a screen like this).

As for me, I don't use a border and think their use comes down to personal taste.

·
Plain ole user
11,121 Posts
I am not going to argue that a black border does not provide a visual anchor for the screen, nor that it is a bad idea. IMO, you want to eliminate the distraction of content that is outside the screen area if it is not blanked by the set. The notion that a black border enhances perceived contrast, however, seems to be mistaken when considering the considerable evidence in favor of backlighting that demonstrates that a lighter surround actually creates the perception of deeper blacks in the image.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Not going to get an argument out of me either Leonard :)

I've seen both, projector screens with borders and without and personally I like the black boarder better. I also am not one that likes the back lit ambient light. It's supposed to reduce eye fatigue, and for some I'm sure it does. To me, and again this is a personal thing, I think it's distracting.

I have what I call a multi-purpose room that's a living room/rec room setup. If the day comes when I can have a dedicated theater room, I won't have a border! I will though have curtains, so in essence it's still framed.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
For what it's worth I have no border on my picture and it still looks as good as any TV out there I've seen. Screen paint is nice, but even a white wall can do just fine. Not that I don't want a screen.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think Trizzly is talking about painting the entire wall the color of the screen and then just projecting onto that, and when not watching a movie nobody would know there is a screen/projector setup. Is that an accurate statement Trizzly?
You hit the nail on the head. Basically the wifey doesnt want the room to look like a theater. And I dont want to pay for an electric retractable screen.

The magnetic paint idea sounds pretty hardcore and awesome. I will have to do a little research into it. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
You hit the nail on the head. Basically the wifey doesnt want the room to look like a theater. And I dont want to pay for an electric retractable screen.

The magnetic paint idea sounds pretty hardcore and awesome. I will have to do a little research into it. Thanks for the idea.
I'm gonna use laminate and frame molding so it looks like a white painting lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts