Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-Want to build 2 small sealed enclosures of around ( 2 - 2.5 int Vol )
-Buget of 1200.00 for both, enclosures not included.
-What DRIVERS would be recommended of either 12" or 15"
- looking for high SQ !!

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
There are a few options from dayton, oaudio and bash for plate amps with various prices. It depends on your what driver you use an how you model it. How big is your room and what are your ultimate goals?

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
There are a few options from dayton, oaudio and bash for plate amps with various prices. It depends on your what driver you use an how you model it. How big is your room and what are your ultimate goals?

cheers

Graham
Hey gperkins !! ...Ok First off, my room is 22x23x8 (4000 cuft). I know,I know, relatively big, ......but at least I will build ( DUALS )....I want to keep Subs relativly small for esthetic reasons. Mainly for HT 75%, Music 25%

I listen at Moderate levels (-12,-15 on Amp).

I was first looking at buying Rythmik DIY kits (DS1200), relatively small , High SQ from what i've read ??

I've only owned 2 Kef Subs,..1 Ported and 1 Sealed and preffered the Tight clean sound of the Sealed !, that is what I have right now, (10" sealed with passive,200 watts, and Kef Sats )

Would like to still be able to crossover at 110hz,.. if possible until I upgrade to bookshelf speakers.

So,.. my ultimate goal with my budget ,is to try to build Small,(2-2.5 cu.ft Int Vol ),that's INT Vol, but even better subs than the Rythmik's.

As for Amps,.. from what I've read ,I could get much more for the money if they are external.??

Hope this helps gperkins, Thanks for helping ...Need more info just ask !

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The CSS Trio 12 works in this box size.

Qtc = 0.666
F3 = 37hz
F10 = 21hz

with some boost you could get good results. Within your budget I think you could get even better results building four of these things (spaced apart). that will give amazing in-room response.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The CSS Trio 12 works in this box size.

Qtc = 0.666
F3 = 37hz
F10 = 21hz

with some boost you could get good results. Within your budget I think you could get even better results building four of these things (spaced apart). that will give amazing in-room response.

I will be building only 2 ,so looking for best SQ as possible for budget !

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
The LMSR-15 works very well in that size box. Its a shame there isn't a 15" version off the UXL15. There is also the FIQ15, SSD15 along with the XCON drivers too. I can do some modelling fot you when I get home tonight.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The LMSR-15 works very well in that size box. Its a shame there isn't a 15" version off the UXL15. There is also the FIQ15, SSD15 along with the XCON drivers too. I can do some modelling fot you when I get home tonight.
Ok gperkins, If you were in my position with small enclosures (2-3cuft Int Vol), and with the description i gave in the above thread of room, SQ ect.....would you be building sealed or ported ??

It's either I build 2 cheaper Ported Subs, or build 1 High Quality sealed sub with budget i have for now?? :dunno:

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
With a 2-3 cu ft box it would have to be sealed for sure unless you wanted to use a smaller driver and tune to around 20hz. A 12" SSD in a 2.5 cu ft box with 1000 watts input power will give you 110db at 20hz which is pretty good when you consider it's only a 12" driver and two off these would give you around 113db.

Two 12" SSD drivers would be $400 and then you would only need to buy a Inuke 3000 amp so total cost would be around $7-800 for two subs.

A 15" SSD driver tuned to 20hz would require a 6 cu ft box each but you would gain 4db at 20hz (114db) over the 12" version. But that is over twice the size box. That would be roughly 20" wide by 32" high by 24" deep. The 15" drivers are only $24 more expensive than the 12" version. If it was me I would opt for the 15" but it depends on whether you could live with that size box.

A single 15" FI SSD sealed sub with 1000 watts input power will give you 104db at 20hz but will have 16db more at 10hz than the ported 12". Now not alot goes on down there and in my opinion I would only concerned with frequencies down to around 15hz. Now that is going to be a bit tricky with only 2-3 cu ft to play with.

The main problem with going sealed is that realisticly you would need two dual sealed subs to compete with two single ported subs. And you would definitely require two inuke 3000 dsp amps, one to run to each dual. But two duals would be more than enough but then cost for that would be $900 for the drivers and the cost off two inuke 3000 amps for one single inuke 6000 amp.

I also think that because you watch 75% movies ported may be a good option for you in that size room to gain the most spl which is going to be fine aslong as you use a good quality driver then you will be fine.

Also by the looks off it you do watch your movies at pretty loud volumes.

For me personally I would stomach the slightly bigger box and go for two single ported 15" SSD subs in 6 cu ft boxes.

Have a think about it and let me know what you think.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Hi there,

As soon as I get home tonight I will open them up. Could you take a jpg off it. That may be quicker as I can look at them now. In the window where you see your REW sweep you will see a camera symbol. Click on that and it will give you an option to save as a jpg and then you can upload it.

cheers

Graham

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Just looked at the graphs. Boy not much happens below 30hz does it. I would have said the yellow graph looks the better one as it has more low end and would be easier to work with although it is a bit peaky.

Is that one sub or two because with two subs it will be alot easier to get a smoother graph.

Attached is a revised graph with filters applied in REW. There's alot off cuts but it shows you how flat you can get with EQ although it is always better to get as good as you can with positioning alone. With two subs it would likely require less filters and cuts.

cheers

Graham

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just looked at the graphs. Boy not much happens below 30hz does it. I would have said the yellow graph looks the better one as it has more low end and would be easier to work with although it is a bit peaky.

Is that one sub or two because with two subs it will be alot easier to get a smoother graph.

Attached is a revised graph with filters applied in REW. There's alot off cuts but it shows you how flat you can get with EQ although it is always better to get as good as you can with positioning alone. With two subs it would likely require less filters and cuts.

cheers

Graham
YELLOW= measurment in furthest position from the sub (opposite top corner of room,..was told to take this measurment by fellow member Sac )
BLUE= at MLP

SUB is Kef Cube-2 13" sq cube with 10' driver and passive, 200w

I just sent you these Graphs so you could see how the room reacts with this small sub.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Well clearly there's a HP filter centered at 25hz on your existing subs and what's even more frightening is that there is NO available cabin gain working for you. You are really asking for a miracle with two 2.5 cubes and your budget. You'll need those LMSR 15's and an iNuke so prepare to open your budget by $200 as I mentioned in our PMs. As I also mentioned, if there's a way to get creative with enclosure design to increase net volume every little bit is precious in your space. Building curved cabinet subs is about the worst way to gain vomule yet save square footage so IMO pass on that idea. Do you own this home or rent/lease and if so are you planning to stay awhile? You might be a good candidate for an IB installation which offers the biggest band for the buck without an a tual footprint. Your budget goes a long way there and with no cabinet colorations, SQ is as good as it gets.
L

1 - 18 of 18 Posts