Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Drivers for small sealed and crossed over low - Mach, RS?

Hi,

I'm looking at a small sealed sub to cross over at 40Hz below my dipoles. I have a 3.5 sf cabinet prepped, and I will use a DCX for EQ.

The question is drivers. I'm tossing up between the Dayton RS315HF, the Peerless XLS and the Mach 5 IXL. All are about the same price here in Australia.

Any thoughts which will give the best extension and reasonable output in such a small box.

Another possibility is two 1.2sf boxes.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you've got an EQ then go with the IXL. It has ~double the xmax of the other drivers, thus more displacement :).

·
Registered
311 Posts
Steve, have you taken the time to model out the drivers in a program like WinISD or Unibox? I think you'd find the answer you're looking for much easier that way.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Alas, I'm unable to use WINISD at the moment. My home internet is down and work won't let me download programs.

:(

I've used the online version of WINISD. The RS has a lower F3 with a slightly higher QTC (8), and would require less EQ to flatten it. The Mach 5 comes in at .53, but should have more excursion and hence more headroom for EQ.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you've got an EQ then go with the IXL. It has ~double the xmax of the other drivers, thus more displacement :).
This is true. However, the SD is significantly less (it's basically a 10.5" driver) negating some of that xmax advantage. I've done a full Unibox simulation and the peak SPL is within 2dB for both.

However, the relative efficiency and exemplary distortion performance of the RS315 has me leaning that way.

Price is the same here in Australia.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Hello,

Why do you not want to build a Dipol subwoofer for you Dipol. Then you will have the good impulse performance from your mid-high for the bass.
There is a new Dipol subwoofer with a higher efficiency.
You can google it with Dipol-Cardioid.
Regards

Leo

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A dipole sub isn't going to give the output unless I go to multiple big drivers.

But after some more unibox modeling, I am most likely going to use the drivers from my dipole mains (Adire DPL12) for the sealed sub and I'll replace them with RS315HFs.

The DPL12s play low, loud enough and may not even require any EQ.

·
Banned
8 Posts
Hi,

Ok. It was just an idea. The Dipole-Cardioid is different to the well know Dipol subwoofer. Because of his high efficiency like the normal subwoofers there is not the need of a 1000W amplifier.

Leo

·
Banned
8 Posts
Hi,

the efficiency is 91dB 1W/1m.
The power capacity is for the subwoofer with two drivers 240W RMS or 500W musk program.

Leo

1 - 10 of 10 Posts