Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
your not quite addicted till you sit in front of the pc till 5am reading different build logs, measuring then remeasuring the space you have at 5am, the deciding on a plan, then seeing another and changing to that, then back to the other then back again and over and over it is horrible if i woulda knew i would been like this after building a very simple 23" cube i woulda done it alot sooner :) right now im thinking about knocking a window out so i can fit the 36" tht in my room, no other way to get it in hahaha.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, now that the in-wall project is done, I was able to start playing with the placement of my subs and here are the results. Not bad but not outstanding either, I am going to be moving them around over the next few days and into the weekend and see what I come up with...... Let the madness begin!!!!

Without the mains I have a sharp and ugly dip around 67.7Hz

With the mains on it balances the dip out but causes a small spike at around 65.2Hz.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
I'm willing to bet that you're insane like I am and the reality is that you will never hear that little spike issue you got going on....
Yea... ditto. You have a great in-room response so I wouldn't worry about monkeying around with it too much.

Overall.... looks like a great build. You needed the subsonic filter of the plate amp so don't kick yourself too hard for not going with the pro-amp.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thats an awesome in room response. Got to be happy with that.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Nice build!!

Now that you are hooked the woofers will get bigger, boxes will get heaver and amps will get larger!!
Welcome to the club. :bigsmile:

Matt

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Thanks guys, since Sunday was the first day I had to mess with it I spent all day tweaking and was a little discouraged at the end but, going home last night after work and watching Book of Eli changed my perspective. And yes Matt, I am already considering the fall for a good time to step up to an 18". :T

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Your response looks great below 80hz. If anything spend some time mucking around with different crossover settings and distance settings in your reciever to try to improve the 80-170hz area. you might be able to make some improvement there. Sometimes crossing to the sub higher can help there, you have to watch for localization issues though.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Thanks Josh, now you have given me a completely new reason to drive myself insane....:dumbcrazy: Actually, I hadn't thought about evening out the higher frequencies because I have had such tunnel vision on the sub 80Hz level. Thanks for the input, I will start working on it this weekend. I am currently crossed-over at 80Hz, any suggestions on a good starting point? 120? 100? Thanks again for the input.:T

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Welll obviously you don't want to cross too high but if you have 90-120hz setting try them in that range. Just run a quick sweep at 80, then switch to 100hz or whatever and sweep again, repeat as necessary. Your <80hz should stay about the same. If one of them looks better than the others, there you go. After that you can drive your self nuts with the distance setting. Sweep, change the sub distance by a foot or 2 and sweep again. You should be able to narrow it down to a setting that improves the response in the xover region a bit. Don't go to far past the range that is realistic. IE if your sub is physically 10ft from your listening position don't expect 2ft or 22ft to be right. the best setting should be close to reality, somewhere maybe between 8ft and 13ft if your sub really is 10ft away from the mic.

Have fun. Don't kill yourself. Eventually it's good enough.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
Well at least when my wife starts yelling, I won't be able to hear her.
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

:foottap::rofl::rofl: I know the feeling. Nice build by the way, glad the results were worth the wait for ya, I know sometimes it seems like you'll never get done.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts