Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anybody else has experienced this on a Denon 1712 or similar model:

When playing DTS-HD tracks, on occasion the playback will be noticeable louder than other times. The only real test I've run is on The extended version of The Return of the King. Normally I watch movies at about -15and it is plenty loud. When I pop this movie in, I have to turn it down to almost -20. However..... If I go into the receiver's menus and wander around, or use the chapter skip, upon resuming the volume drops noticeably and I can bump it back up to -15. However, stopping the movie and restarting it puts the volume up too high again.

I seem to remember some similar volume inconsistencies on the Star Wars Blu-Rays and even the original Transformer's Blu-Ray (a Dolby TrueHD track).

I wouldn't normally mind much as all it takes is a quick volume adjust, but it has some downsides: I like to flip to random scenes just to give my system a workout. One of my favorites is the "ring thumping" in ROTK during the crack of doom chapter, in all its "redline at 20Hz" glory. Yesterday I fired this up at -15 on my receiver and didn't notice the receiver was doing it's 'louder than normal' glitch, so when the thumps really started to peak I bottomed out my SVS PC-Plus.

Blu-Ray player is an Oppo BDP-80.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Many believe going back to DVD based DTS that the Surrounds and Subwoofer were more aggressively mixed. I certainly did seek out DTS DVD's pre Blu-Ray, but have noticed nearly as much difference with Dolby's True HD and DTS HD. In the DVD Era, I literally purchased every Superbit Title I could find. A depressing amount remained unopened.

I am glad to read that the 1712 provides a good amount of power as I have not had a chance to listen to it in action. It would not appear that there is anything defective in your Denon. For what it's worth, Green Zone and the latest Transformers remain the best sounding BD's that I have played in my HT and I own several hundred BD's.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi JJ,
I was a big fan of DTS DVD's in the day. Back then I would agree that DTS discs were on average louder than DD tracks.

My concern was that on some DTS-HD tracks the volume would change if I went into the receiver menu's while it was playing. It isn't on all DTS-HD tracks (Tron: Legacy always plays back at the same volume), but the ones it does glitch on are pretty noticeable.

And yes, Transformers: Dark of the Moon is a very impressive soundtrack (the one I was having problems with was the original movie). I just recently read an article about how unfair it is that it's sound FX mixer, Greg Russell, has been nominated for 15 Academy Awards and hasn't won once.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
The opus of Michael Bay is quite debated. Film Snobs believe him to represent all that is wrong with Modern Hollywood Blockbusters. However, It is not easy to make these giant "Tentpole Films". Let alone be consistently successful.

Jeanine Bessinger who is a Professor at Wesleyan College wrote an Essay for the Criteria Collection upon Bay's Criterion Collection release of Armageddon. No doubt many film snobs were disgusted by the very fact 2 of his movies are in the collection. Regardless, the Essay is available for free on the Criterion Collection Website and I found it to be quite an interesting read. Ms. Bessinger is a noted Film Critic and was a Professor of Mr. Bay at Wesleyan.
I wish I could explain why DTS HD Tracks are so much louder on your setup. I will look into and see if I can find more information.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi jj,
I've seen that essay and also the one from the critereon version of the rock. She offers a very even handed assessment of bay's technical ability.......personally I think he's the best second unit director on the planet. It what he does in between the explosions that earns him the most criticism.

Like I said, the main problem with my dts-hd bug is the fact that the volume changes in mid program and/or isn't the same as it was the last time (and by a large amount)..... Thanks for looking into it.

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I cannot believe I wrote Criteria Collection. As it is Criterion! Sleep deprivation is cruel and I got 2 hours of sleep last night. I did some research on the 1712 and have yet to come up with anything concrete.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Didn't even notice.......

I had heard of some other denon models having issues with dts-hd tracks but they were older models, nothing from the current generation (that I found anyways)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts