Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've shifted alegiance to the bears to get a deal on two 15" PRs and a Shiva-x.

I'll be doing a 3 cubic foot passive box. Does anyone know the volume of the PR-15?

Since I believe this arrangement will need a subsonic filter, I was thinking of an Elemental Designs eQ.2 (Reckhorn B1? - Behringer xxx?) . Does this seem wise?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm going to make this 17w x 26h x 18d. Drivers will be arranged toward the bottom on the same horizontal plane. Bracing will be added as to not have to deal with working around drivers to knock the volume down to 3ft^3 per this box's recommended volume.

My ultimate goal is killer bass and a nice looking center channel stand in one shiny black package (maybe rosewood if I can convince myself that veneering is worth the effort).

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'd talked myself into a BFD and EP2500, but I don't know if the BFD will jive with my pre's Audyssey calibration.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Volume Issue

My cabinet is nearly ready to be glued up, I have a minor issue that may be a problem

Assuming that the PR-15 is the same volume as the Shiva-x, .15 ft^3 my volume is a tad high, 3.155 ft^3.

Is this a potential problem? Especially since I picked up a PE 500w bash amp, whose cutout will add on some volume tooo.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Pics coming soon.

I have lost patience with black lacquer (two coats of sanding sealer and four coats of lacquer later) and I think I will be completing assembly tomorrow. There is no shame in a flat finish.

Any idea how much weight I should put on the PRs?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And her it is done...

I didn't countersink the drivers because the edges are not square so I would have had to deal with a funky seam. I also couldn't find my speaker gasket tape so these are just screwed flush. I took off the PRs to mess with the polyfil and they sounded pretty well stuck to the shellac.

:yay2:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The dimensions are based on the info sheet from DiyCable. It is the 3 cubic foot / dual pr box spec'ed there.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have not really put it through its paces yet, but the beginning of 'Bolt' was pretty impressive.

Audyssey bumped it up 12 db with the vol of PE's 500w bash at about 2:00.

I'd like to do some real measurements, but I don't have a decent mic.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I have not really put it through its paces yet, but the beginning of 'Bolt' was pretty impressive.

Audyssey bumped it up 12 db with the vol of PE's 500w bash at about 2:00.

I'd like to do some real measurements, but I don't have a decent mic.
Careful that much boost may lead to serious amp clipping.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts