Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new here and to HT. I originally was into car audio but now want to go to HT. I have a basic but nice for me (Fluance AV-HTB 5) with a Pioneer vsx-918v. This setup works okay for me besides I am lacking any significant bass. I want TKO :boxer: bass for my setup! I use my setup for 40% music, 40% gaming, and 20% movies. I am wondering what a good speaker setup would work best for me.

·
Elite Shackster
7,142 Posts
Both dual 15's and quad 10's will work well, but the 15's will give more depth and air shifting ability, generally speaking. The 15's will likely be slightly cheaper in the end but they will need larger cabinets.

What drivers have you looked at, and what is the maximum sized cabinet your willing to work with. Have you looked at amps, and are you sure you can add an active sub to your system?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Unfortunately I have moving sometime within a month so I don't know exactly what my room conditions will be. I am waiting to sign a lease at a place where the room is 14X19 and has no closed door to the room. Its a very open floor plan so I am sure that will effect things. I really don't have a size restraint so as long as it can fit though a french door I will be good.

My budget is $700-$1000 and I know I will be getting the Dayton SA1000 as i have a friend with one and it is fantastic. I have not had much research in subs. I was thinking about the Dayton Audio RSS390HO-4 15". My budget is dependent on how much I get for my vintage JBL D130A, D123, and 1217-1290 sell for.

G

·
0 Posts
Did you want sealed or ported?

If you want sealed, then a single TC Sounds LMS-R 15" DVC Subwoofer would probably be better then duel 15s or a quad 10. Dual 15 Dayton RS wouldn't work because they are 4 ohms each and you would end up with 8ohm and the amp you are looking at is 4 ohm stable, but not two ohm.

If you wanted to do dual ported, this might work. http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=295-445

I would not do quad 10s. You would gain efficiency, but not low end.

I too was looking at that amp and Dayton RS subs. It was winter time, I don't have a heated work shop, so I wouldn't be able to do anything till spring, so I tried a Emotiva Ultra Sub 12. I am very happy with it. They have a 30 day trial, and two would fit your budget. Might want to consider that too. It is easy to look at powah and low end, but those Ultra 12 are not a joke. I've spent just as much if not more on big box store subs in the past and they are horrible in comparison.

Have you built subs before? Do you have a table saw, large clamps?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a table saw, router table, bar clamps, straps, etc. I am set to build and enclosure. Will dual 12's be enough bass compared to dual 15's? I am attempting to top my friend that can break light bulb filaments in his bathroom.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If 12" subs will be able to work in my case i think a pair of these daytons will be good.
Dayton Audio RSS315HO-44 12" Reference HO DVC Subwoofer

What type of enclosure should I be looking at? Sealed? Vented? 4th order?

G

·
0 Posts
I didn't realize you were in competition. You might want to look more at TC subs. The daytons are rated at 350 watts RMS each. So you can double that with two, but you might want something more stout if you are really wanting to shake the house.

I'm more of a SQ guy, not a db guy, so I don't have the Knowledge that others will when dealing with more power and output.

If you really want to out do your friend, and if you can break your budget just a tad, then just get this. DONE!

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/44537-dts10-kit-back.html

Model Max. SPL Sensitivity Magnitude Response Power Rating Dimensions Weight

DTS 10 133 dB 100 dB 15 Hz - 70 Hz 2000 W 59.5 x 44 x 16 285 lbs

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't realize you were in competition. You might want to look more at TC subs. The daytons are rated at 350 watts RMS each. So you can double that with two, but you might want something more stout if you are really wanting to shake the house.

I'm more of a SQ guy, not a db guy, so I don't have the Knowledge that others will when dealing with more power and output.

If you really want to out do your friend, and if you can break your budget just a tad, then just get this. DONE!

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/diy-subwoofers-general-discussion/44537-dts10-kit-back.html

Model Max. SPL Sensitivity Magnitude Response Power Rating Dimensions Weight

DTS 10 133 dB 100 dB 15 Hz - 70 Hz 2000 W 59.5 x 44 x 16 285 lbs
:yikes::yikes::yikes::yikes: I MUST HAVE!!! :hsd:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts