Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to figure this out on my own, but it is easier to just ask ;)

If I'm building a Maelstrom Dual PR, what is the minimum width I can use with the PRs on opposing sides?

If I want at least one "skinny" dimension, am I better off with the PRs on the wider axis?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
I would think that it would be safe to keep the PR's about 6 inches or so away from the magnet of the Mal-X. But I can't confirm this. Maybe try calling or emailing Kevin to see what he says. If you want a really narrow design, maybe put the Mal-X in the middle of the box, and a PR above and below the driver? Or would that make the box too tall for you?

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
PR's are usually mounted on opposing sides so they cancel each other out. Having 2 PR's on the same side would create a rocking motion that would be difficult to deal with.
Ya know what, I didn't even think about that. I just thought of a sub tower that had PR's in it, but of course, they weren't high excursion drivers. I know I can rock my box with a 8-10hz tone pretty good while near full excursion. It definitely won't knock it over, but it moves back and forth slighty.

My apologies for the bad suggestion :T

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
If I recall correctly, Kevin recommend at least side to side 20" for opposing PRs so the bolts and weight do not hit each other.
Bingo... you have to make sure you don't have the mass kits & bolt swinging back and hitting each other. I've never determined exactly where that point is but face the PR down and install the mass kit. Measure from the back of the bolt to the face of the driver and then add in 2" or so for the suspension travel. Double that and it is your minimum width as determined by the PRs.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.