Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Yea... looks great! Every room is different but EQ is definitely a useful tool. I've said it a million times but the SMS-1 is a great tool. It makes the process much easier than cobbling together the various bits and pieces to measure and EQ. You pay a slight premium for the tool but it has extra functionality and it GREATLY simplifies the measurement EQ process.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Looks like it came out great! It's a total match for the rest of your room, and seems to tie in really well. And I'm glad you're so impressed with how it sounds! Good to know it does so well on music and not just on explosions, gunshots, and monsters too.
Thanks alot.

Actually the biggest performance upgrade seems to be present especially with music. Extended basslines with the SVS were good, but short punchy bursts had a sort of delay to them or not as accurate. The mal x seems more agile, wether this is due to a more fortunate placement and or EQ I don't know. I just praise the fact that it's better :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Yea... looks great! Every room is different but EQ is definitely a useful tool. I've said it a million times but the SMS-1 is a great tool. It makes the process much easier than cobbling together the various bits and pieces to measure and EQ. You pay a slight premium for the tool but it has extra functionality and it GREATLY simplifies the measurement EQ process.

Kevin Haskins
Exodus Audio
Yes that might be true but I guess it all came down to cost for me. Also the REW seem to do the exact same thing and being able to make many measurements with the REW and average them out seems to work great for me at the moment. Not sure the SMS-1 can do that?

If I ever decide to build two subs I will even consider the new SVS EQ - better start saving those pennies :=)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Update:

Thought I had some problems with the driver but I don't think so anymore.

I did these tests using Lonely Ravens opus dei song. I think I could've pushed the driver even further but didnt wan't to risk anything.

Here goes:

Conclusion though is - I need 1 more sub to really fill my room and get better distribution of the bass. Nothing new in this just me getting my prioties straigh for next sub project :)

Sorry for the poor vid quality btw

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Small update.

2 new cabs for my dual setup which took a bit longer than expected. Original plan was 2 subs but started out with one, in a cabinet that was build for the mael x gen I driver.

Here's 2 new cabs with a qtc 0.8 and around 85 liter netto.

So plan is now another behringer amp as 1 amp will struggle to feed both subs in this alignment.

Next thing is to send these cabs to the painter, it will be high gloss white. Plan is one sub in the front, and one in the back as per the harman white paper theory. Not sure if I can EQ well enough with the BFD though, but we shall see!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Nice craftsmanship! I'm going to steal that design for the bracing if you don't mind, LOL! Cut plans? Also, are the tops slightly curved, or an optical illusion from the camera?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Nice craftsmanship! I'm going to steal that design for the bracing if you don't mind, LOL! Cut plans? Also, are the tops slightly curved, or an optical illusion from the camera?
The bracing on those is AWESOME :)

Can't wait til you finish them and take some measurements in room :) Thats a lot of driver in a small box.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
They are infact slightly curved at the top.

Go ahead and use the bracing! :) I am myself curious if it will at all effect the sound compared to my old cabinet which had very little bracing.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
The bracing on those is AWESOME :)

Can't wait til you finish them and take some measurements in room :) Thats a lot of driver in a small box.
Yes, im very curious about that too!

I've modelled in unibox, and using heavy fill it models nicely even in this config. However it will demand more power.

Goal with these 2 subs is mainly quality rather than quantity in regards to nulls and peaks and one of my greater concerns is the EQ'ing of 2 subs!

Very torn about getting:

1) new reciever with multi eq xt - could serve multiple purposes i guess.
2) SVS AS EQ1
3) Use my BFD
4) antimode

Perhaps some of you have some insights into this dilemma?

·
Registered
59 Posts
do you have cut plans perchance....? the WAF factor on these is very good!

·
Registered
349 Posts
looks very nice. I learned in my car audio days that bracing can make a world of difference. Do a knock test and I bet it will sound solid, no clunky resonance.

Bracing and deadening makes a difference. Panel vibrations are energy that the drivers should be puting towards making sound.

If you really want to deaden the enclosure and set this build over the top have the inside of the enclosure sprayed with line-X.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Sorry no real updates at this point.

Regarding cut plans - dont have any on them, but in reality just a square box with cut off corners and a curved top that is placed on the square box.

I bought 15 pillows though! which are intended as fill.

My painter "connection" is currently on holiday so I think we're into august before I get them returned from him.

Whats this line x spray btw?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
yeah i was just being lazy asking for cut plans :whistling: was really looking for a comparison in performance between the 2 boxes.

line x spray is spray on bedliner for trucks i think.
http://www.line-x.com/
Ah, havent really considered lining the inside with anything other than the polyfill.

Yea, I'm very curious as to how the new subs will perform.

As I will end up with 2 subs I'm sure that it will be alot more output, but ill be sure to make some measurements up close to see the response of the sub un EQ'd.

I'm losing a little output down low with the smaller box but 2 subs will hopefully more than make up for that!

However, it will be a few months i think before its all up and running:)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Nice build. The bracing looks like the Tony Gee Serious Sub.

Looking forward to seeing it completed.

Ah, havent really considered lining the inside with anything other than the polyfill.I'm very dubious that truck bed liner added to the inside of a sub, especially one already very well braced will make any difference at all.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Small update.

Almost finished veenering one of the subs. First time I've done this! It's Ivory veener.

Getting the veener to stick on the curved top was challenging with the equipment I have.

A little bit sanding to go, then I'm trying to decide which coating to put on, how shiny etc....? any tips? high gloss is pretty unforgiving :p

Ups trying to glue on a little "mistake".

41 - 60 of 99 Posts