Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am starting a sub project with 2 SDX 15's. They will come to 5.25 ft^3 per box sealed. How much batting do I need. I am probably going to use polyester pillow batting from Michaels Hobby Store. See my .pdf to see a very crude drawing of what I have in mind. The driver will fire upward into a sealed box leaving the driver basket and magnet in full view "Inside Out".

View attachment SDX 15 Subs-Model.pdf

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no idea what Q i am shooting for. I used this .pdf as a guide to box size and I ended up in between the 2 larger sizes.

http://www.creativesound.ca/pdf/sealed-SDX15-131107.pdf

I thought the inside out design would add another design element that a store bought sub would not have. Plus the basket on the CSS SDX series looks better than the cone. I hope to have the pieces CNC cut by this weekend. :yay:

·
Registered
393 Posts
Just know the pole vent is a bit noisey when the excursion goes up.
I have zero experience building subs, but how close is the baffle behind the driver? Could it limit air flow through the pole vent? It looks close, but I can't tell. I also don't know how much air moves through there, or if it's even a concern, just thought I'd say something.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The vent ends up about 1 1/4" away from the base plate. How loud are we talking. By the time that the excursion is high enough to make noise, I hope that there are other sounds on the movie track.

·
Registered
430 Posts
The vent ends up about 1 1/4" away from the base plate. How loud are we talking. By the time that the excursion is high enough to make noise, I hope that there are other sounds on the movie track.
Click the link and watch in HQ
YouTube - SDX-15 video 1
youtube.com/watch?v=ODm5G4nAbOM

It's hard to hear, but when I get behind the woofers, you can hear the mechanical noise. I will say I don't know how noisey it is when it's mounted "upside down" in a box though. I've not tried that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cool video. I think that the movie or music would be pretty loud to get that kind of excursion to hear the mechanical noise. I wish this was going faster. My CNC has been booked with real jobs and I will have to wait until next week to get my MDF cut.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Progress finally!!! The only screws used were in the double thick bottom plate. I will be working on finishing the cabinets this weekend and painting next week.

158.JPG

165.JPG

mini-Picture 171.jpg

179.JPG

mini-Picture 183.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
UPDATES 9/16/08
I just finished 3 hours of block sanding and the first round of a polyester body filler. I am trying to get these as close to the piano black finish on the top of my Rocket 850s and Bigfoot. I am going to try to get the first coat of Hi-build primer on today so that I can do some more block sanding tonight. These things are HEAVY.

How much is polyester pillow batting in your area? My wife just got a 1.25lb bag for $5 at Michael's. I thought that it would be closer to $1-2 /lb.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

mini-Picture 195.jpg

1 - 20 of 42 Posts