Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Decided to build 2 new enclosures myself.

Once i got the one built i saw that 4 was going to take up to much floor space. So i have revised my design to have the same foot print but be twice as tall. They will be about 28 cubic ft each and will hold 2 drivers and 4 PR's each.

Pic 1 is the rental Home Depot truck dropping off 8 sheets of 3/4 mdf
Pic 2 is all the panels and baffles cut to size
Pic 3 is my home made circle jig 3000 (patent pending) lol
Pic 4 outer baffel holes cut
Pic 5 test fit and alingment check of inner and outer baffel

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: 1 of 4 13 cubic ft 13.5 hz tune Mal-X 18 Dual PR's build

I did all sorts of modeling, but im kind of new at this. So I don't really know when something is really good or really bad. I would like this design to be tuned below 15hz, say 13-14hz so i don't need a SSF, but when I model a box this big, tuned that low, the drivers seem like they will be over driven.

Each box will have two Gen 2 Mal-X 18's and 4-18" Exodus PR's. 28 cubic ft of net air space, 1884 grams of mass on the PR's. Powered by an EP2500 per driver.

I'm I doing somthing wrong?

·
Registered
790 Posts

Is that an EP bridged/driver or one EP channel at 4Ω/driver?

The first will exceed Xmax of the PRs at full level by a lot, the second one by just a bit. I'll post some sims with and without some filters when I know.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Is that an EP bridged/driver or one EP channel at 4Ω/driver?

The first will exceed Xmax of the PRs at full level by a lot, the second one by just a bit. I'll post some sims with and without some filters when I know.
One EP2500 per driver a total of 4, so 1800-2000 watts each.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

Nice looking boxes, looking forward to seeing a finished product.:T Don't you just love useability of hand trucks? I'm not sure what i'd do with out mine besides break my back.LOL!

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Nice looking boxes, looking forward to seeing a finished product.:T Don't you just love useability of hand trucks? I'm not sure what i'd do with out mine besides break my back.LOL!
Actually the box that's on the hand truck is only half the size of the boxes i'm in the process of building now. I had planned on doing 4-13 cubic ft boxes but after getting the 1st one built i saw that 4 that size was going to take up to much floor space. So now i'm building 2- 28 cubic ft boxes, which is pretty much twice the size of the box on the hand truck.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts

Well... sounds like now your gonna need a forktruck.:flex: Just for fun have you got it figured o how many sheets of MDF each box will take?

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

Well... sounds like now your gonna need a forktruck.:flex: Just for fun have you got it figured o how many sheets of MDF each box will take?
4-4.5 sheets for the new enclosure.

The cool thing about the old 13 cubic ft box is I finally have something to fulfill my bass-head crack habit. It's not equal to the all out bass onslaught that i will have running all 4 Mal-X's, but it will get me bye for now.

Attachments

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This is strait from the PR's owners manual on the website. " The bolt can hold a maximum of sixteen disc, which gives the user flexibility to have up to 1884g on the passive radiator".

16 x 96 = 1536

300g starting mass

48g for the bolt

1536 + 300 + 48 = 1884

·
Registered
2,625 Posts

This is strait from the PR's owners manual on the website. " The bolt can hold a maximum of sixteen disc, which gives the user flexibility to have up to 1884g on the passive radiator".

16 x 96 = 1536

300g starting mass

48g for the bolt

1536 + 300 + 48 = 1884
I'd not recommend maxing out the mass. I'm not sure how well the suspension would handle it, but if you have enough P-Rs you'd be ok.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)

The 300g starting mass is already included when you enter the parameters. The maximum you would add in a modeling program is apparently 16 x 96 = 1536 and not 14 x 100 = 1400 as stated on the web page.
What parameter would represent the starting mass?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)

I'd not recommend maxing out the mass. I'm not sure how well the suspension would handle it, but if you have enough P-Rs you'd be ok.
Kevin actually told me that the PR's suspension can handle a little more mass, say 2000g. The limiting factor is the bolt that holds the disc. He did say also that if you need more than 1884g, adding more mass won't help much with your tune. He'd recommend adding more airspace.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

So the 300g Mms is already factored in to the rest of those parameters in that screen shot?

·
Registered
790 Posts

One EP2500 per driver a total of 4, so 1800-2000 watts each.
At 2kW/driver, I get the following: the second of each has a 13Hz 2nd order HPF applied.

Ignore the Fictive No x5 PR name on the graphs, I forgot to change it.

Excursion of the PR's looks better with the filter, but we're talking about some extreme level here, and I'd suggest some careful testing with bass heavy source material first as excursion issues my not be problematic in practice. I'd still be careful though.

6 PR/box looks like it would fix it. Again without and with the same filter as above.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts