Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A short intro:

I had built one DIY subwoofer so far and of course in the process spend way too much time browsing the DIY galleries here and on a few other forums. This gave me a lot to think about and I immediately began planning another build. Courtesy of Popalock, I found a great deal on a pair of TC Sounds LMS Ultra drivers so my choices where either two sealed or a dual configuration. I'm a little short on space so I went with a dual opposed in a medium sized box. The form factor is relatively small considering that there are two gigantic drivers in it. For more information you can check out this thread.

Anyways, I got talking to a friend of a friend who happens to own and operate his own speaker company and from whom I've purchased a few pairs of speakers and he liked my build idea. I asked him if he could CNC cut it for me and he agreed on the condition that I created the CNC files myself. We also talked about the possibility of offering this as a flat pack sometime in the future if the build came out well.

Well, he got busy so I decided to make a prototype while I waited, I've got the drivers and the plans and nothing to do so why not. Anyways, here's what I've got so far. If anyone has any questions, comments, praise, or insults, let'em fly.

Managed to sneak in a little work today. Did a little planing and fitting. The parts I did work on fit pretty well, the other parts.....well they need a little more love.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That will be an extremely well built cabinet. What is the net volume and what will you power the Ultras with?
Thanks, it sure has taken a lot of work so far.

Exterior dimensions are 23X25X29, interior dimensions are 20X22X26. All walls and bracing are 1.5in thick. I'm estimating a cabinet weight a lot closer to 200lbs than further away, not counting the two LMS Ultras going inside.

I'm not really sure what I'm going to use to power it just yet. I'm going to start off with an AB International 800.2, one channel per driver. I'll adjust from there as needed. I was thinking of getting two Crest Pro Lite 3.0's and bridging them, but it's all just ideas at this point.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
That looks like it's going to be one very stout cabinet. You've done a really nice job.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That looks like it's going to be one very stout cabinet. You've done a really nice job.
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. The plan was to model it after another dual opposed build I had seen, but in a smaller package. Then of course word of the new Funk sub came out in an even smaller package.

If you weren't so far away I'd ask you to review it for me :D

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Looks good. I like the 3.0 Crests. I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do for power also and nothing beats the 3.0 Crests, I believe, for power and quality. But I am biased towards what works for me. :D

Awesome build by the way.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks good. I like the 3.0 Crests. I have been trying to figure out what I am going to do for power also and nothing beats the 3.0 Crests, I believe, for power and quality. But I am biased towards what works for me. :D

Awesome build by the way.
Where did you get yours? It seems like most places I contact about them say that they aren't in stock.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
I have a few other Crest Pro 200 amps. I was going to start buying some more Crest 2.0/3.0's but have not yet. Was looking at other amplifiers also because I wanted more than 3000watts per channel. For me a pair of Pro 200 8200s in bridged mode would work but now we are talking about 3500 dollars delivered to me.

After a quick google search there are lots of dealers that have 3.0's in stock. I dont know this for sure because I would have to ask them all. Direct Pro Audio, Pro Audio Solutions, Sound Brokers ect ect.

I saw a CC5500 used for about 650 also so I dont know what I am going to go with yet. Although I have so many things I am trying to build that waiting longer for the right amp for me will probably be the outcome. You will probably have yours before me.

Just need to find a LG Fp14000 for 2500 used. :D I have seen the Fp13000 for about 3500.....lol all used of coarse.

·
HTS Moderator , Reviewer
3,280 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate the compliment. The plan was to model it after another dual opposed build I had seen, but in a smaller package. Then of course word of the new Funk sub came out in an even smaller package.

If you weren't so far away I'd ask you to review it for me :D
Yea, it might get kinda dicey to ship that beast... :rubeyes:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yea, it might get kinda dicey to ship that beast... :rubeyes:
Well in theory I could drive it down since your only in jersey, but I might need a forklift to get it out of the pickup :D

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now comes the boring part. Gluing and waiting.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a few other Crest Pro 200 amps. I was going to start buying some more Crest 2.0/3.0's but have not yet. Was looking at other amplifiers also because I wanted more than 3000watts per channel. For me a pair of Pro 200 8200s in bridged mode would work but now we are talking about 3500 dollars delivered to me.

After a quick google search there are lots of dealers that have 3.0's in stock. I dont know this for sure because I would have to ask them all. Direct Pro Audio, Pro Audio Solutions, Sound Brokers ect ect.

I saw a CC5500 used for about 650 also so I dont know what I am going to go with yet. Although I have so many things I am trying to build that waiting longer for the right amp for me will probably be the outcome. You will probably have yours before me.

Just need to find a LG Fp14000 for 2500 used. :D I have seen the Fp13000 for about 3500.....lol all used of coarse.
I've contacted Direct Pro, Sound Broker, and a few other places that supposedly had them in stock and not a single one did. Granted that was a couple weeks ago, but it seemed like at least half of the places I contacted were only go betweens and that they took the orders and sent them off to Crest who would then ship to me in a few weeks.

Those LG amps are amazing, but much much more than I'd like to spend.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Well sorry to hear about the availability of the Lite amps.:( There are the Crown XLS also and of coarse the Inuke6000. Hopefully the Lite series can be had in only a few weeks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well sorry to hear about the availability of the Lite amps.:( There are the Crown XLS also and of coarse the Inuke6000. Hopefully the Lite series can be had in only a few weeks.
Yea what a bummer. I've definitely thought about the Crown since that's what my other sub is being run by. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and order two and see what happens.

Fuzz, that is one BEEFY enclosure! I love all of the gratuitous shots of the Bessey clamps. I need to get myself some of those eventually, they just look so nice and solid.
Haha, they're awesome clamps. I had some reservations about them since they weren't steel like the Jorgensen cabinet master clamps, but was pleasantly surprised by the build quality and durability. I highly recommend them and will be ordering my third four pack as soon as I can.

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
Do tell us how it goes. I am thinking of just buying one myself also because I will at least have some power for my sub. Although I can never decide on anything and I'm tempted by the clone still.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Super Moderator
5,869 Posts
You guys and all your fancy shmancy clamps. Jealous. :D

Did you do window bracing on the inside?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Done for now. Stuffing and dropping the drivers in either tonight or tomorrow depending on how the last little bit of gluing looks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You guys and all your fancy shmancy clamps. Jealous. :D

Did you do window bracing on the inside?
If you go back and look at the first post of this thread you'll see a CAD drawing that shows what the bracing looks like.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts