Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately I don't have the space to build a dedicated HT room so I have to make some compromises.

I have never owned a projector so I am not 100% sure what to expect and I am looking for design/planning feedback.

My main requirements are to be able to use this room for both HT and as a room my wife can crash in after a long day. I realize these sound like they could be one and the same but I don't think she will like watching TV in the dark. I would like to be able to use all video sources on either Tv or projector but the surround sound only needs to work with the projector.

I also have 4 kids so we need quite a bit of seating. But I don't think they care as much as I do about sound.

My bonus room is ~16'x18' but has some slanted ceiling. There is currently a ceiling fan and I don't think I can get rid of it. I will however redo the lighting (remove the ceiling fan light and put cans in the ceiling). Projector throw will be ~16'. Here is an image of my current plan:

The screen is ~130" diagonal. This is the size needed to hide the window behind it. There are also a few other windows in the room but I will put up heavy blinds.

The Tv hanging on the wall is a 50" 720p plasma that I already have. It currently is our main HT TV.

The general idea is on most nights the room will be used as it is currently: a place to chill with the lights on.

On fri/sat nights it will be family movie time.

And during some afternoons the kids will probably want to play halo on the huge screen :).

I plan on doing the following major changes to the room:
  • Remove ceiling fan light as it would interfere with the projector's path. Replace lighting with cans in the ceiling. Some locations will be challenging as the roof slopes and there is very little room above.
  • Relocate al of the AV equipment and run all wires through the walls. I am aiming for 7.2 sound. Note 3 sides are exterior walls :(.
  • Build a DIY screen and place it in front of an existing window.
  • Paint walls but not a terribly dark color.
  • I plan on buying a new receiver and blu ray player. Dual HDMI out would be nice but is there any real benefit to having it in the receiver vs buying a switch? Note my Tv is 720p but the new projector will be 1080p. I am not sure how this effects the HDMI out decision. What will the AVR choose as the output signal if it sees different capability displays connected?
  • New furniture. Although I have couch and a chase that I would like to work into the mix as they are comfy and in good condition.
Some things that are not worked out:
  • Do I care about 3D? One of my kids gets motion sick. Maybe he will like 3D? Maybe he will puke so none of us will watch 3D.
  • Which projector to buy? We will game on the projector so input lag matters. Otherwise I would be buying an Epson 3020. The new BenQ 1070 looks like a good fit but it doesn't have enough zoom for 16' placement. I may be able to swing the cash for a Panasonic AE8000 but that is really pushing it.
  • Where to put the AV equipment? There will be room under the screen for a low/wide cabinet (which I can make). There will also be room by the closet. I do not have room in the closet without moving an interior wall as it is very narrow. Plus I know there will be a n XBox and a blu ray player and I don't want them hard to access. Another possible placement location is by the closet. This is easiest to pull cables into from the attic.
  • Should I try an acoustically transparent screen? I can build the speakers into the screen this way and save some floor space and keep it neat.
  • Should I do a black widow screen and live with challenging center channel speaker placement?
Budget? Yes there is one :). But I know it will be pretty expensive as we will be replacing/adding furniture as well.

Current equipment:
  • Pioneer 5070 plasma
  • BFD/Crown amp for my DIY sub
  • 5x DIY speakers but I don't mind rebuilding them to be on-wall designs.
  • VCR (yes I need to keep this :()
  • HTPC running Win7 Media Center
  • HDHomeRun for pulling ATSC Tv
As for skills I can do the wiring, painting and cabinet making (I build furniture and speakers as a hobby).

I know this is a very long message with many questions in it :) but I do appreciate any/all input!
Thanks!
Salem

·
Registered
327 Posts
This look like a good plan. Any before pics?

I am going for the false wall but I can say that I haven't had any issues with the center being below the screen currently. The false walls do eat a lot of floor space as well. If you are on a budget you can build an awesome wall screen for < $100 and save the > $1000 (screen material and wall build out) AT screen for later.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Arg pictures of how the room looks today?! :)

Ok here is a panoramic:

The window you see is the one I will be hiding with a screen.

The whole room is currently oriented toward the wall with the closet where the plasma currently sits on my av cabinet (which will be getting the boot).

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Unfortunately I don't have the space to build a dedicated HT room so I have to make some compromises.

I have never owned a projector so I am not 100% sure what to expect and I am looking for design/planning feedback.

My main requirements are to be able to use this room for both HT and as a room my wife can crash in after a long day. I realize these sound like they could be one and the same but I don't think she will like watching TV in the dark. I would like to be able to use all video sources on either Tv or projector but the surround sound only needs to work with the projector.

I also have 4 kids so we need quite a bit of seating. But I don't think they care as much as I do about sound.

My bonus room is ~16'x18' but has some slanted ceiling. There is currently a ceiling fan and I don't think I can get rid of it. I will however redo the lighting (remove the ceiling fan light and put cans in the ceiling). Projector throw will be ~16'. Here is an image of my current plan:

The screen is ~130" diagonal. This is the size needed to hide the window behind it. There are also a few other windows in the room but I will put up heavy blinds.

The Tv hanging on the wall is a 50" 720p plasma that I already have. It currently is our main HT TV.

The general idea is on most nights the room will be used as it is currently: a place to chill with the lights on.

On fri/sat nights it will be family movie time.

And during some afternoons the kids will probably want to play halo on the huge screen :).

I plan on doing the following major changes to the room:
  • Remove ceiling fan light as it would interfere with the projector's path. Replace lighting with cans in the ceiling. Some locations will be challenging as the roof slopes and there is very little room above.
  • Relocate al of the AV equipment and run all wires through the walls. I am aiming for 7.2 sound. Note 3 sides are exterior walls :(.
  • Build a DIY screen and place it in front of an existing window.
  • Paint walls but not a terribly dark color.
  • I plan on buying a new receiver and blu ray player. Dual HDMI out would be nice but is there any real benefit to having it in the receiver vs buying a switch? Note my Tv is 720p but the new projector will be 1080p. I am not sure how this effects the HDMI out decision. What will the AVR choose as the output signal if it sees different capability displays connected?
  • New furniture. Although I have couch and a chase that I would like to work into the mix as they are comfy and in good condition.
I like the layout you have come up with - comfy arrangement and none of the seating is locked to a wall where you could experience boomy sound. As far as the dual HDMI question, I am not sure - I would suggest posting that question in the receivers forum to get a more experienced opinion.

Some things that are not worked out:
  • Do I care about 3D? One of my kids gets motion sick. Maybe he will like 3D? Maybe he will puke so none of us will watch 3D.

• I also have a son who gets motion sickness easily (I do as well) - he does not like 3D as it does get to him. I would opt for no on a 3D projector.

[*]Which projector to buy? We will game on the projector so input lag matters. Otherwise I would be buying an Epson 3020. The new BenQ 1070 looks like a good fit but it doesn't have enough zoom for 16' placement. I may be able to swing the cash for a Panasonic AE8000 but that is really pushing it.
    Sorry - cannot help here either as I did not research projectors that work well with gaming. Again, try posting in the projectors forum for more experienced opinions.

[*]Where to put the AV equipment? There will be room under the screen for a low/wide cabinet (which I can make). There will also be room by the closet. I do not have room in the closet without moving an interior wall as it is very narrow. Plus I know there will be a n XBox and a blu ray player and I don't want them hard to access. Another possible placement location is by the closet. This is easiest to pull cables into from the attic.
    I personally did not like the idea of putting equipment below the screen as I was worried about the distraction of the lights while watching the screen. I would opt for by the closet for two reasons - out of direct line of sight for the screen as well as easiest to pull cables.

[*]Should I try an acoustically transparent screen? I can build the speakers into the screen this way and save some floor space and keep it neat.
    While I love the look of a clean front wall (again, less distraction while viewing), in most builds I have seen you would need to allow about 3' behind an AT screen for speaker placement and I do not think you have that space available. I had to settle for a non-AT DIY screen as I did not have the room either and I have found that the speakers are not as distracting as I originally thought they would be.

[*]Should I do a black widow screen and live with challenging center channel speaker placement?
I do not know if you would need to go the Black Widow route - an OTS gray might work just fine. Mech and Harp are the experts there - check out the DIY screen forum.

Budget? Yes there is one :). But I know it will be pretty expensive as we will be replacing/adding furniture as well.

Current equipment:
  • Pioneer 5070 plasma
  • BFD/Crown amp for my DIY sub
  • 5x DIY speakers but I don't mind rebuilding them to be on-wall designs.
  • VCR (yes I need to keep this :()
  • HTPC running Win7 Media Center
  • HDHomeRun for pulling ATSC Tv
As for skills I can do the wiring, painting and cabinet making (I build furniture and speakers as a hobby).

I know this is a very long message with many questions in it :) but I do appreciate any/all input!
Thanks!
Salem
Looking forward to following along with a new build! :clap:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Looks like I need to break these questions into their appropriate forums :).

But as for the screen I think I could do an AT screen and use up only 6" or so deep. Something like this: http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/home-audio-acoustics/42935-thx-style-baffle-walls-screens-2.html#axzz2JJgqPnTs

I have all the equipment to measure and design speakers. So I am really only limited by the depth of the speaker basket. I will see what I can draw up.
Yeah, some of the more experienced people who really know the answers to those questions you posed do not frequent the Construction forum that often - it really is the best way to get answers to your questions a bit more timely.

I had not read that thread before - very interesting! Seems like it would work depending, as you said, on the speaker design. Would definitely like to see what you come up with!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A little bit of progress:

I bought an Epson 8350 projector and built a screen so I could get an idea of how it all fits in the space I have. I have watched quite a few movies with this setup and I am reasonably sure the room orientation and screen size will work.

I also finished up a soffit design that matches the rest of my house aesthetically:

I was thinking about putting some crown up to hold rope light:

Next up I would like to figure out the lights. My first idea was adding recessed lighting to the soffit. One 6" can in each of the 4 corners. And two 4" cans between each of the larger cans for a total of 4x6" and 8x4".

But I am afraid this plan would leave the center of the room dark. I am not sure if I will get any effective contribution from the rope lights.

My initial thinking is to use a GRX-3106 to control the lights. The image above lists the different zones. The rope light is not pictured but it would be on a separate zone.

This would allow me to setup the following scenes:
1) Lights on: lights adjusted to give relatively even illumination through the room.
2) Movie: Red lights off. Green/Yellow lights very low ~5%? Blue lights at ~10-15%.
3) Pause: All lights up 20 ~25% or so.
4) TV: Yellow lights off (as they are over the location of the TV) and all the others adjusted down to a comfortable level.

This would leave me with one free zone. Maybe add two cans in the center of the room?

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Salem

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
It has been a while but I have made progress! I have the framing done and I am almost ready for my rough-in inspection.

I can't believe I am going to show this but... a panoramic of the current condition:

All the old furniture is in the middle of the room along with all kinds of other including a sleeping dog if you can find him :).

Here are some pictures of the soffit:

The projector mounted using a Peerless PRGUNV (which I think is great!):

The TV mount (a Monoprice unit that was ~18$ and it seems fine to me):

I am using power bridges for both the projector and the TV. I am running the following to each display device:
- 2 HDMI cables (one for a spare)
- 2 Cat6 cables (to hopefully future proof. I will have to rip up sheetrock to pull cables again)

For the TV I am also running one RG6.

The wires I have pulled coming into the closet (I still need to pull speaker cables):

I am also using a Grafik Eye to control the lights. I debated for quite some time how to do this install. I am not an electrician so I don't recommend you do anything I do :). But just for grins here is the progression:

To mount the masonry box I added spacers so I could screw it firmly on both sides.

I bought a 6 zone QS version and the blue cable is PLEV for IR. Here it is ready to be hooked up. I think there is enough room and I have the bends right so it will not involve any forcing:

As an FYI I tied all the neutrals and grounds together using these: http://www.amazon.com/Ideal-30-1034J-In-Sure-Push-In-Connectors/dp/B004V9FX9Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1368066794&sr=1-1&keywords=ideal+push+in+connector
I wish I could have found the connectors that join 8 wires locally but oh well. I used 3 of these jumpered together for both neutral and ground.

I plan on having it inspected on Fri. Wish me luck!
Salem

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I passed the rough in inspection :). I powered up the circuit in my closet and that works well. Now on to getting the grafik eye into the box!

PS: It looks like almost all circuits now require AFCI breakers. There goes another 80$ :(.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Well I passed the rough in inspection :). I powered up the circuit in my closet and that works well. Now on to getting the grafik eye into the box!

PS: It looks like almost all circuits now require AFCI breakers. There goes another 80$ :(.
Congrats mate - good to hear everything passed well!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I also wired in those expensive breakers and got my Grafik Eye up and running! I will have to take it out again to do some drywall repair but I couldn't help myself. I had to see it work!

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little progress... er anti-progress?
At any rate I hung my tv at my wife's request:

Other items that have been resolved:
- installed power bridge for projector.
- pulled cable for 4 rear channels.
- pulled/spliced cat-5 into the closest for a switch.
- wired for RG6 in the closet (and to the TV).

What is up next?
- redo cables for front 3 channels.
- run one (or two) more sub channels (for a total of 7.2 or 3).
- drywall the soffit (arg!!!)
- paint... everything (arg arg!!!)
- build 2 new subs (buyout bravox 15's)
- build 4 surround speakers
- build 3 new mains
- relax?

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great room so far. I like the list of remaining things to do because I'm sure if you love this kind of stuff like i do, then this list really isn't a list. If you know what i mean. When you're doing something you love it takes on an entirely different feeling. A awesome sense of accomplishment. So yeah, when you get to the relax part of your list, RELAX and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Cant wait to see it finished.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
A little more progress:
I have almost finished insulating and hanging the drywall. This is my first time doing drywall and I am dreading all the corners I have made for myself!

I also solved one of my last technical issues: where to put the surrounds? There are good places for the surround backs on the rear slanted wall but for 7.x THX recommends the surround left/right to be 90 degrees from the listener.

I ended up building a ~1cu ft box into the soffit. The design will be a horizontal MTM with RS150's and SB29RDCN tweeters. The two RS150's should give a good amount of headroom and the SB29RDCN is small but can be crossed low to avoid bad lobing.

I also am about 50% done with my equipment rack. I will post pictures when done!
Salem

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Vacation and life have intervened but all the sheetrock is finally hung and I will start mudding this weekend.

I have also been working on building a rack out of plywood for the closet. I got about 70% done when a screaming deal on a Middle Atlantic 35RU rack came up:

75$!!
Salem

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So most of the mudding is done. And I learned a couple (obvious) things in a visceral way: It is difficult to sheetrock over bad framing. It is difficult to tape over bad sheetrock joints. Is even more difficult to mud over bad taped joints :).

The moral of the story: make your framing "perfect"! The further down the line the more difficult to fix :(.

But here is how it looks today:

And here is my rack in place (not much room to take pictures!):

And finally the rack I made (oak ply, sapele trim):

I should be able to start trim during this holiday vacation!

Oh, and merry christmas/happy new year!
Salem

1 - 20 of 42 Posts