Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks the wood rack did turn out great! And I can always use the extra space so I am glad I have both!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
A little more progress: I began the trim/crown lighting.

The plan is to run LED rope lighting around the perimeter of the soffit. Here is a cross sectional view:

I don't have any help so I built a simple jig to hold the molding at the desired height (1.5" up from the edge):

The molding was hung with brads first and then when everything looked good I used 15ga nails to make it rock solid.

After the molding went up I ripped some 2x4 stock at 38 degrees to hold the crown:

And here is where I am now:

I plan on painting the top of the ledge up to the ceiling in a flat white paint. Then I will hang the crown. But I am quite worried about all the inside corners. Most say to cope inside corners (of which I have 8 in this room!) but that would interfere with the LED light unless I also left some clearance for it.

This is also the first time I have done crown and I am a little worried that I will do a job trying to miter all those inside corners!

Wish me luck :).
Salem

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Some bad news :(. My washing machine flooded my downstairs and filled my HVAC with water. 80% of my hardwoods are ripped up. And all the stuff in the pantry has been moved into my someday-to-be-theater!

But I do have one progress update. I bought some 12v SMD5050 RGB tape light to play with. Mostly because I could not decide between white and soft white 120v rope light. And I am glad I did! I really like RGB control. Now I cannot decide if I want red or blue :). And I don't have to! I will lose the cool dimming effect the Lutron provides for scenes but I will gain the ability to change colors on a whim.

And those SMD5050's are really bright! Only real downside is the 12v tape max length is 5M. So I need 3 tapes 18A at 12v (I will use 3 6A power supplies). And (at least) 2 data repeaters. This is much more wiring then just plugging in a single 120v rope. But the end effect should be really cool.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
Google "Wixey wr300". Well worth the cost !!
Make sure your throat plate is dead level with the table too. Otherwise the accuracy of the angle finder doesn't matter!

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
Looks like this build is coming right along. Look forward to seeing it all completed. Always great to see how creative people can be. Many a people have taken unique rooms, and created some very nice results. Keep up the great work, the enjoyment later will be well worth it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Wish me luck :).Salem
holy mackeral you didn't mention you were a crown molding framing expert!! nicely done!

bummer about the flood. good thoughts your way.

dave

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Flood is in the past! Here are some pictures of my new floors :)

And this weekend I finally got around to putting up the complicated crown!

First I did the outside corners:

This left me with a double-cope for all the "long" pieces:

I chiseled away the inside corner to make sure the joint looks tight at the bottom:

And I put up some of the LED's. I went with 12v SMD5050's, 300 lights per 5M strand. They are quite bright! I will probably replace the controller so with one that can dim to a lower brightness!

It is starting to look good but I have a TON of work left to do!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Painting is almost done (a little bit of trim/door to paint). And our sofa finally got here. It is a monster but is very comfortable! My wife helped with picking out curtains etc. We have not yet settled on carpet. I also blacked out all the windows with blackoutez. The blackout worked pretty well but some edges still show a little bit of light. It is a huge improvement though! We can watch a movie in the middle of the day no problem. The dark front wall does a great job of disappearing when the lights go out too. It gives a much more immersive experience.

Untitled by eyekode, on Flickr

With all that seating this is where the dog went first :)

Untitled by eyekode, on Flickr

Still a ton of work to do on the speakers but I have _almost_ passed the wife's "it's done" milestone :).
Salem

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
An update! I finished my surround speakers that are built into the soffit. They are DIY and I did the measurements/crossovers using Holm Impulse, Arta, and WinPCD. They are quite sensitive but are a 4ohm load (which my Pioneer 1222 seems to handle with no problem).

The boxes are 1cu ft and most of it is hidden in the soffit. The exposed portion is wrapped in cherry.

Pictures or it didn't happen right?

Some stereo listening to verify the final crossover:

And installed:

Now on to the surround backs which will use similar drivers but will be inwall completely.

Thanks for reading!
Salem

21 - 40 of 42 Posts