Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Unless his room is particularly large or he has very capable mains and likes to crank it, I don't see a reason not to.

Soho54 has his pair of RSS390 sonsoubs tuned to 13.5Hz...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #22 (Edited)
Any reason for wanting to tune to 12hz with "only" two 15" drivers?
Unless his room is particularly large or he has very capable mains and likes to crank it, I don't see a reason not to.

Soho54 has his pair of RSS390 sonsoubs tuned to 13.5Hz...
The room is 2520cuft that is open to my dinning room and kitchen via a opening in the back of the room that is 7' X 9'. I have no trouble now filling that room with good bass. My mains are JBL Northridge 100 E-Series that I feed with a QSC 850rmx that gives 185watts from 20-20. The mains do very well keeping up now. I just feel that I am missing out some on the lower end. I figured tune low I can alway bring it up.

I went ahead and orderd the Crown XS900.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
The room is 2520cuft that is open to my dinning room and kitchen via a opening in the back of the room that is 7' X 9'. I have no trouble now filling that room with good bass. My mains are JBL Northridge 100 E-Series that I feed with a QSC 850rmx that gives 185watts from 20-20. The mains do very well keeping up now. I just feel that I am missing out some on the lower end. I figured tune low I can alway bring it up.

I went ahead and orderd the Crown XS900.
Looking forward to your comparisons.
Its threads like these that get me wondering about big ported subs :daydream:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Well, I got the wood all cut and one box almost done. I ran out of heating fuel at 11 tonight and it is -10 so I can't work without it:mooooh:

Here are some pictures so far what I have done........

Sorry for the bad pictures I used my camera phone:sarcastic:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well worked on it from 10am till 11:30pm and I have MDF dust in places our creator never intended :scared:

Got one box all closed up and the screw holes putty-ed. Man I don't know what I was thinking but I used way to many screws on the first box. Lots of work to get it cleaned up. Live and learn I guess:mooooh:

I plan to just give them a nice black coat of paint. Nothing fancy....

Anyway here are some updated pictures for your pleaser:bigsmile:

·
Registered
565 Posts
Re: RMX QSC 1450 amps...

Thanks for the input Willy. I don't want to leave anything on the table here. What amp would you recommend? EP2500? I can get that for a good price right now. Would you keep the same tune of 14hz with a bigger amp then?

I'm using two of these QSC 1450's on my single subwoofer and IMHO, you should be very satisfied with their results. I get very clean and distortion free amplification with these amps. I'm running one amp bridged to 1450 watts at 4 ohms for each driver in a single common cabinet and the sound is awesome. I'm also using 4 passive radiators instead of ports so that may be another reason for the rich clean bass. Don't sell those amps short on performance! My amps aren't rated at 2 ohm load, but QSC may have changed and improved them to handle a 2 ohm load bridged. Be sure to check that out...

Attachments

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
cpiman, nice big box! I think you'll be very happy with the results here. I hope you've got some help to move that to the listening position... looks like it's going to be a heavy one. I also like how you rounded off the edges of the holes in the bracing, nice detail.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I hope you've got some help to move that to the listening position... looks like it's going to be a heavy one. I also like how you rounded off the edges of the holes in the bracing, nice detail.
Thanks Owen!

I have my 14 year old to help me when I get them done. I was able to work on them tonight for a bit. I work a lot so I have not had a chance sense Sunday:sob:

I have them all together just did some sanding and put some spot putty on them. Hope to put a coat of paint on them tomorrow:jump:

Got my Crown Xs900 on Monday. WOW is that thing built good! Not as loud as my QSC and it has 2 fans!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Well, Got them all sanded and filed. Got them in the house tonight and I will put some paint on in the morning......

Here is a picture of the boxes and my 2 boys for reference on how big they are. Thats Tyler on the left he is 14. Jacob on the right he is 8........... Do I belong to the big box club? :dontknow:

·
Registered
120 Posts
These are some serious subs,DIY done right is very rewarding. And with dual subs like this ...you are set for some time.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well, I got them all done. Calibrated and tried some WOTW to check them out. First seen the lighting seen in the beginning clipped channel one right off the Bat:foottap:. Well that is not right did not have it turned up even to reference at that point and gains set at half.......hmmmmm. Turned up the sub level on the receiver because the crown amp has 1.4 volt input and my QSC had 1.15v. Did not think that would be a big difference but what the hay I will try it. Played same seen again same thing only this time I noticed that the sub on channel 2 was barely working..... at this time I was like :mooooh:. Pulled the subs out double checked all connections and everything was fine. Put my BFD in line to check the output of the receiver set it so that I would stay out of clipping at my normal listing level. Tried again same thing:wits-end:. At this point I was thinking I had a bad amp. Went to bed went to work and when I came home tinkered with it again only this time I have no channel 2 at all. Hooked back up my QSC 1450 and BINGO everything is good. I have a bad Crown amp right out the the box:rolleyesno:

Now after my small rant My feelings on the new boxes........... WOW I can really push them allot harder then ever before with out clipping the amp. Music sounds much better. I can feel it. Had a blanket laying on the floor about 5 feet away and it was blowing the blanket around.:yay:.

I'm going to call Musician's Friend now to find out what to do with that Crown amp. I have to say It put a bad taste in my mouth but I am willing to try again. The only problem I see is that the amp is now discontinued on there web site:huh:. I hope they take care of me.

Here are some before and after pictures of my setup. That is a Samsung 62in DLP TV for reference on how big the boxes are......

BEFORE

AFTER

·
Registered
521 Posts
Man that really sucks about the amp. Sorry. But they'll definitely take care of you. Even if they don't, Crown will (they'll cover shipping fees as well).

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well, I just called and they don't have anymore:teeth:. They will give me QSC 1450 for the same price but I will take a hit in the power department. The crown gives me 1200 per channel @ 2ohm the QSC I would have to drive each voice coil separate at 450 watts each voice coil for a total of 900 watts. I don't know what to do. Have two QSC 1450 one for each sub or just get a Behringer EuroPower EP2500. They would sell me a new Crown but I would have to pay another $125. I need some input here:wits-end:

·
Elite Shackster
1,506 Posts
Well, I just called and they don't have anymore:teeth:. They will give me QSC 1450 for the same price but I will take a hit in the power department. The crown gives me 1200 per channel @ 2ohm the QSC I would have to drive each voice coil separate at 450 watts each voice coil for a total of 900 watts. I don't know what to do. Have two QSC 1450 one for each sub or just get a Behringer EuroPower EP2500. They would sell me a new Crown but I would have to pay another $125. I need some input here:wits-end:
I'd call Crown direct if Musician's Friend won't find a good solution for you. We had a Crown amp go bad a few months ago only a month after it was installed and they express shipped a new one direct before we even took out the bad one. Crown is one of the best in the biz... if anything I bet they could repair it for you.

Oh ya, nice job!

·
Registered
521 Posts
Like thxgoon said, call Crown up. I've spoken to them and they are nice folks. Your XS900 is under warranty for three years from now, so they will set the situation right for free.

If they don't express ship one out like thxgoon said, they'll at least send you a prepaid shipping label/box for you to send the amp in and they'll fix it and return it for no charge as well. I'd do that before paying for a new one.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts