Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 177 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I think we have our final dimensions:

I believe I'll go with one solid box and seal off each enclosure.

Figuring about 30 liters per box for the drivers and the bracing, that should give us about 265-270 effective liters per box/driver, which is what I believe we were shooting for.

Does this appear it will work okay?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
If the goal is to treat them as two seperate enclosures, I would do just that, keep them as two seperate enclosures, otherwise, there really is no benefit to having a divider. Two seperate enclosures will be easier to move and allow some fine movement between the position of the two if need be. If you'd prefer to keep it as a single piece, I'd eliminate the dividing wall and just make it another brace, making it a single sub with two drivers.

Aside from that, I'd maybe position the port a bit higher so as not to obstruct the vent of the drivers and shave a bit more material off the braces around the port if possible. Ryan used what I believe were some 1"x1"s running the length of all 90 degree corners as further bracing, and since you have no horizontal bracing, I'd definitely recommend using some 1"x1"s from brace to brace horizontally at the top, bottom, and in the middle of the back wall. On the front angled wall, you could do the same though it wouldn't have to be in the corners. See attached.

Attachments

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Whether it's one unit or two... there's really not going to be room for movement.... not even fine movement. It has only one position with no options for even moving it one inch left, right, back or forward. This was one of the reasons I would rather have one unit, so that I wouldn't have to worry about keeping the two units separated or either have to connect the two together and having a seam.

The purpose of separating the tow inside via the divider is to allow two ports, one on each end to keep a port near each driver.

Is there any benefit to having the two in the single enclosure with one port vs. two separate enclosures with a port in each enclosure?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
You can have the interior space open, making it one sub, and still use the two ports. The drivers will couple with and "activate" both ports equally as long as they are the exact same length. That said, a single 9" port would still be better than two 6" ports in terms or corss sectional area.....but on the other hand, the two 6" ports will allow for a slightly lower tuning when keeping first resonance in mind.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
You can have the interior space open, making it one sub, and still use the two ports. The drivers will couple with and "activate" both ports equally as long as they are the exact same length. That said, a single 9" port would still be better than two 6" ports in terms or corss sectional area.....but on the other hand, the two 6" ports will allow for a slightly lower tuning when keeping first resonance in mind.
Just to clarify... it's okay to stay with the same size volume and ports that we have now, but open up the center divider making the interior all combined volume with no sealed divider?

Sonnie!! are you sure we can get the box inside the HT??:holycow:
"we"... ??? I am excited that you are willing to come to the house and help me install it... :bigsmile: It will fit, but we'll have to move the recliners out of the way. No doubt it will be extremely heavy, but you are all muscle... :flex:

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Like I said before... a possum or deer sandwich will be good.:meal: :bigsmile:
Are you bringing the camera tomorrow?
Somebody is coming thursday to see the TV and the speakers!!!:jump:, if they buy something I will have money for the Toshiba XA2 :jump: :jump:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Yes... I'll bring my camera and be there at the shop at 7:30am. That means I gotta get up around 6am you know... that's gonna cost you extra... :yikes:

Maybe you'll sell them both. My XA2 is already sitting at the office.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Sonnie said:
Just to clarify... it's okay to stay with the same size volume and ports that we have now, but open up the center divider making the interior all combined volume with no sealed divider?
Yep. I wouldn't brush off the 1x1s though, and I'd position the ports a bit higher up. It's much easier to spend some time do a few things to try and overbuild now than it is when it's all built and closed up and you notice a resonance or something like that :T

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Rodny and I got started pretty early this morning and worked on it for a few hours. We mainly got it all laid out and most everything cut with a couple of pieces together, but nothing worth taking any pics of yet.

I spent some time, more than expected, finding the 6" PVC. Had I been in Troy where I work, it would have been no problem, but in Montgomery it was a challenge. The plumbing supply store wanted 80 bucks for a 20' piece. I was in my car and needed the pieces cut to the 35" lengths. The guy says, "I'll give ya a saw to go cut it with." HA-HA! Yeah, I could see me paying 80 bucks and spending an hour cutting that stuff with a hack saw... I don't think so.... :nono: I went around the corner and found a plumbing company that had a piece left over and the guy there cut both pieces for me and 10 bucks later I was out the door on my way back to the shop.

Btw Rodny, the drivers came in today.... I'll bring them with me Saturday.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
I never got an answer on the polyfil from anyone... is it necessary for this sub?

Thanks!

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I don't know about a lady, but we've actually been discussing putting speakers in there... I promise! :yes:

Would one on each end of the inside portion of the port be good enough? Maybe firing them out?

61 - 80 of 177 Posts