Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

121 - 140 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Fantastic work Rodny, you're a real pro. :bigsmile:

That is an awesome setup you have now Sonnie. Really impressive. Your room looks pretty brutal though, as far as the bass acoustics are concerned. I can see why you need a rear sub. :nerd:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
Thanks!

Yes indeed... my room is not for the easy sub setup. That's one thing I didn't have a lot of choice over. Maybe in another life... :blink:

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Sonnie said:
Then we turned off the behemoth and played WOTW at the normal level I listen with only the SVS subs in the front playing. This produced a max SPL of 114.5db during the scenes where the machine was blasting people at the beginning of the movie
Then we turned on the behemoth and replayed those scenes at the same level...

Max SPL hit 122.8 at that same level on the receiver. We were all astounded at how much SPL it added at that same level. Of course I've never felt impact like that ever.... yes not ever!!! Not one sign of strain on the dual RL-p15 behemoth... it's like it was just getting warmed up.
:devil: :bigsmile: Compression, the silent killer. There's a lot of people out there who just don't know what they are missing - I think today you just found out :R The great thing with an amp limited design is that as long as your amp is within visible range, you will know when the sub is close to reaching its limits, as it should correspond pretty well to the clipping lights. Seeing as your sub is even a bit underpowered with the EP2500, if you don't see any clipping lights, the sub isn't close to being stressed at all. It's a good feeling.

Sonnie said:
I'm not sure exactly what frequency range those blasts are, but they are loud none the less.
I believe they are centered at ~30hz. With a wooden floor, those laser blasts can really create some bounce.

Sonnie said:
I'm just not sure it gets any better than this... words just don't do it justice.
With that final in room response and the headroom on board, it is pretty tough to do any better. A couple 18s and a larger enclosure could get you flat to at least 10hz with more headroom and lower distortion, but I think you'll find what you have to be plenty :cool: What you will find though is that the low end of the SVS subs will now be a bottleneck in regards to overall low end performance. By that I mean if you have them both playing at an equal level, the low end capabilities of the SVS don't match those of the LLT, and while both may be providing the same output at 50hz when level matched, it won't be the same story at say 15hz. But don't let my pontificating spoil the celebration :nerd: :innocent:

The sub looks amazingly cool, that shape really turned out for the best. Truth be told, I was a little worried about the exterior port openings being so far apart in relation to you sitting 6' away, but it seems to have turned out fine. You're getting plenty of boundary gain with that sub nestled against the back wall the way it is, your speakers will definitely give out before this sub does. Those VR2s will suit your bass capability much better.

Rodny, that is some great work, and in pretty record time too :hail: You are very skilled.

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Fantastic work Rodny, you're a real pro. :bigsmile:
Thanks!!!

You guys need to give Sonnie some credit:clap: ...........he........:reading: ............:ponder: ...........:duh: ...........:wits-end: .........:crying: ............:scratch:............:meal: ...........:hissyfit: ...........:spend: :spend::spend: ...................:flex: ..............:sleep::sleep: .
:joke: :rofl: :rofl:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Holy guacamole!!!.. What am I looking at here?? Talk about a nice looking DIY project and a well executed design. I would like to compliment Sonnie for doing what it takes (including helping with the project) and for coming up with the $$ to make it happen. Rodny your work is most excellent, not to brag, but I know how to see through pics with doing plenty of projects myself and I can see your attention to detail was handled beautifully...it really shows. That's a very large surface area to work with and plenty of room to go wrong. For the finish to come out as good as it did, it not only required a lot of skill finishing, but in the building of the unit itself.. for the finish to come out so well. Gladiator!.. I salute you:T
I've got plenty of money :spend: to start another project!!
ha ha :rofl: Best laugh I've had all day.
What you will find though is that the low end of the SVS subs will now be a bottleneck in regards to overall low end performance. By that I mean if you have them both playing at an equal level, the low end capabilities of the SVS don't match those of the LLT, and while both may be providing the same output at 50hz when level matched, it won't be the same story at say 15hz.
No doubt about it Steve. 50hz is one thing, but down low there will be cancellations. All in all, the dual 15" RL-p LLT will have a way of plowing through, although it'll be hampered. Do you have your /2 or /2's running in the 16 Sonnie?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
Sonnie, if you are interested in finding out where the real world tune ended up being, you can center the mic a few inches under one of the drivers and do a FR sweep. If you don't really care and just want to enjoy it, I definitely understand :T
I will check it and see... I didn't even think about it today... we were having so much fun. I would like to know.

No doubt about it Steve. 50hz is one thing, but down low there will be cancellations. All in all, the dual 15" RL-p LLT will have a way of plowing through, although it'll be hampered. Do you have your /2 or /2's running in the 16 Sonnie?
Yes.... they are both tuned to 16Hz.

You can see they run out of steam below 16Hz where you see the rear sub holding it's own. If you look at the combined response, they seem to compliment each other very well. They sure sound good together. Of course I wouldn't mind having a couple of 18" sonotubes in the front corners either... :holycow: ... nah.. better not, I'm already jarring my brain enough.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Sonnie said:
I didn't even think about it today... we were having so much fun
I can imagine - almost like you want to rewatch your favorites right? When you get a chance, check out the footsteps near the end of Monster House. Though not much in the way of infrasonics, it has become one of my favorite bass scenes.

If you look at the combined response, they seem to compliment each other very well. They sure sound good together
Yes, they merge very well, as if it were meant to be.

Of course I wouldn't mind having a couple of 18" sonotubes in the front corners either... ... nah.. better not, I'm already jarring my brain enough
Now you're talking :cunning: Sell the Plus/2s and use a fraction of your earnings to build (or pay Rodny to build :R ) some sono LLTs up front. You'll not only end up with better bass performance, you'll have extra :spend: in your pocket when it's all said and done. Think about it, you'll be earning money to get better bass. Crazy eh? :innocent:

·
Registered
291 Posts
Yes.... they are both tuned to 16Hz.
Great! I did see the graph, but didn't know if the RL-p had to compensate or not. With your headroom your sitting good and cancellations are basically a non factore. Wow!..what a setup!
you'll be earning money to get better bass
What a interesting concept Steve, I forgot about that knowing I still have a SVS left around here. me>:coocoo:

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
So, when are we welcome to come over?! I MUST hear this beast in action :bigsmile:

On a serious note, Wow, just WOW. I would've never imagined the two subs to get along so well. Amazing job overall. This certainly has me thinking about some ported options as a next project. :T

Congratulations Sonnie, and Rodney Excellent work. You get an A+

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Thanks for all the comps and anyone is welcome anytime at our home... we'll leave the light on... :bigsmile:

·
Senior Shackster , Platinum Supporter
828 Posts
Something tells me you ain't gonna relax... you'll be starting that rear sub project. :yes:
Not rear but........IB makeover:ponder: Now is time for two dual "SLLT":dumbcrazy:
Spoiler
Super Low Large Tune:devil:

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #138
Now this is gonna be interesting, to say the least... :yes:

You might as well start a new thread and tell everyone what's going on.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I've been waitingfor something like this - I always thought I was gonna have to be the first person to try it since everyone else seemed afraid. Should be excellent.

Sonnie, any updates on the real world tune or any ponderings of the future of the Plus/2s? You could probably get some good money for them :cunning: I'm a SOB ain't I? :R

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #140
My mic is gone off for calibration down to 5Hz, so it will be a couple of weeks on the tune frequency... don't let me forget. :D

I suspect I'll keep the Plus/2's... they hold their own pretty well. I don't think I'd be saving any moola though. By the time I buy the drivers, amp(s), wood, paint, etc., and add labor... I'll actually be at more than what I can get for the Plus/2's. However, all that is really irrelevant at this time. It's spring and summer is fast approaching... all my extra time is spent keeping up our land and pond... and that's a lot of work and leaves me little time to play during the day. Maybe one day I'll tackle an 18" LLT project on my own... then it might make more sense moola wise.

121 - 140 of 177 Posts