Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 183 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
So are there any more powerful options than the EP-2500 for the same price (brand new) approx?

Blaser

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I have read that the bigger the box, the less is the need for stuffing. How true is that?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi all,

I am about to order the drivers and amp(s), and I need your opinions about 2 things:

1- What's "better": one 2000 W amp for both drivers, or 2000 W amp for each driver, I have both possibilities, but bearing in mind that in case of dual 2000 W amplifiers, the driver will be exceeding its Xmax, but would not bottom out (20 to 30 Hz range).... but the benefit above 40 Hz is appreciated.

2- Tuning frequency: I would like to use 10" port, and the front baffle will support both the driver and the port. The baffle dimension is 90 cm * 65 cm,

I am quite concerned with the 90 cm (height) as:

90 cm - 46 cm (driver) - 25cm (port) = 19 cm (less than port diameter) also some clearance (+ insulation) should be left after the driver (I think about 7-8 cm total) which will only leave about 11 cm from the nearest wall. Is this expected to affect the tuning frequency? How much?

Blaser

·
Registered
299 Posts
Well, the spec says 750 watts into 4 ohms (which is the resultant Znom of the dual 2 ohm coil driver wired in series). So the one amp in stereo would do both boxes. This doesn't seem like too bad an amp..... good bang for the bucks. Others would cost much more.

View attachment 3062

brucek
For subwoofer duties would'int we want to be looking at the 20hz - 20khz rating which is 650watts
instead of the 1khz rating?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Hello guys!

I have decided to use something stronger than the EP. Indeed, the minimum amp. real RMS power will be 1000 W....The question is one for each box or one for both.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
For subwoofer duties would'nt we want to be looking at the 20hz - 20khz rating which is 650watts instead of the 1khz rating?
The 650 watt rating is defining the bandwidth over which the total harmonic distortion is at 0.1%
Generally they would define the power bandwidth at the half power points (-3dB) for a given distortion, which would be at 375 watts. But, in this case they have decided to show you that the amp is capable of only losing -0.62dB (-100 watts) over the audio range (20Hz to 20KHz) for a given THD of 0.1%. Seems pretty good to me.

Indeed, the minimum amp. real RMS power will be 1000 W....The question is one for each box or one for both.
So, 1000/2 = 500 watts would be fine with you? Let me recommend the EP2500 that can produce 650 watts per channel with 0.1% THD from 20Hz to 20KHz..... :)

brucek

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
So, 1000/2 = 500 watts would be fine with you? Let me recommend the EP2500 that can produce 650 watts per channel with 0.1% THD from 20Hz to 20KHz..... :)
brucek
No, it seems that I was not clear.... sorry!

I mean that I will be using an amp which can output 2000 W. So It can output 1000 W for each box, and this is the optimum for the subs according to Steve's LLT explained article.

But there is a school that says:"more power won't hurt, but can have significant advantages". So if I use dual 2000 W amps (1 for each sub.), the drivers will exceed Xmax (between 20 and 30 Hz) but will not hit Xmec(3.2" peak to peak). But the benefit will be 40 Hz and above. The reason why I am considering this option is that in Ilkka's tests the TC-2000 sub clipped a 2000W amp at 40 Hz:raped:....So what about the RL-p18?:R

So Is it worth buying dual amps?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
So if I use dual 2000 W amps (1 for each sub.),................................
So Is it worth buying dual amps?
4000 watts. Do you have that much power available in wall receptacles?

brucek

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
4000 watts. Do you have that much power available in wall receptacles?

brucek
Well, 220V * 15A fuse (I have checked) = 3300 W /line from the wall... Is a power factor required to be applied?

EDIT: I have rechecked the electrical pannel and found that the smallest fuse is 15A while any A/C fuse is 32 A....I think this is more than enough!!

Blaser

E

·
0 Posts
I would look at the Crown Xti4000 for a grand. High quality 2x 1200w @ 4ohms would be perfect for that I would think. Just like anything you get what you pay for.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #33 (Edited)
Thank you guys! I am about to order the subs in 2 or 3 days:yes: And I have now contacted the box maker to discuss the production steps. We agreed on everything exept the wood type:scratch:

While I told him MDF will work fine, he informed me few things about polywood (ply-wood):
- Polywood is lighter (front baffle will be made of 3 layers!!), much stronger, cleaner, takes less painting...as he claimed! Also twice as expensive (but don't mind that).

He told me that if I need MDF due to sound issues, so be it (as he doesn't know), but as far as strength, box quality.... weight.... he strongly advises me to use 18 mm polywood (imported from Indonesia).

I need your opinions please to order the enclosures wood.

By the way, the boxes will be CNCed as well as flairs!! No problem:jump: And by the way we have agreed that the boxes should be a piece of art!!:T

·
Registered
452 Posts
Since no one seems to be addressing the stuffing, I'll jump in and provide my two cents.

There is more than one reason to stuff.

The most common reason is to alter the Q of the cabinet. I don't think you're going to need that for this enclosure, as you seem to be letting the cabinet be the size it needs to be. Another reason is to catch & kill high frequencies that might want to escape via the port. Fiberglass is supposed to be one of the better materials for stuffing, but I hate working with it. I prefer polyfill, as it is supposed to be as good as fiberglass and is a lot easier to wok with. I get mine at W*lmart. For a large enclosure such as this you might get "Batting", basically polyfill that will attach nicely to the walls of the cabinet.

One thing to think about with bracing (other than the obvious, strength) using the bracing to discourage standing waves. In a large cabinet such as this you might consider putting your braces assymetrically located, using wider (1"x4" or 1"x6") braces and puting them at angles to the sides of the cabinet.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The most common reason is to alter the Q of the cabinet. I don't think you're going to need that for this enclosure, as you seem to be letting the cabinet be the size it needs to be. Another reason is to catch & kill high frequencies that might want to escape via the port. Fiberglass is supposed to be one of the better materials for stuffing, but I hate working with it. I prefer polyfill, as it is supposed to be as good as fiberglass and is a lot easier to wok with. I get mine at W*lmart. For a large enclosure such as this you might get "Batting", basically polyfill that will attach nicely to the walls of the cabinet.

One thing to think about with bracing (other than the obvious, strength) using the bracing to discourage standing waves. In a large cabinet such as this you might consider putting your braces assymetrically located, using wider (1"x4" or 1"x6") braces and puting them at angles to the sides of the cabinet.

Paul
Thank you Paul!!:T I will brace for sure!! As well as use either available insulation material:)

Any thoughts about wood material?:scratchhead::eek:rder:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussing wood material can start a religous war:devil: and don't even start about glues.

My opinion, for what it is worth is I like MDF. If you want to get wild and crazy and you are using double thickness for things like the baffle, use a layer of good plywood laminated to a layer of MDF on the outside. This among other things will give your screws something to bite into.

If you want to deaden the cabinet really well without spending big bucks buy some 1/4" "HardiBacker" and 30# felt (commonly called Tar Paper). Put one layer of 3/4" MDF two layers of 30# felt and 1 layer of HardiBacker together and screw liberally. This will couple additional mass, a second material with different resonances and add damping to the cabinet. It shouldn't cost much but will add a fair amount of work to the endeavour.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
I ordered the RL-p18 s 2 days ago, and the amp yesterday!!:jump:

I should receive them within 10 days. I am already fed-up of:waiting:....But, when they come it will be a big:bigsmile:

I think my last decision is two boxes around 625L each, 14.5 Hz tine with an 8" flared port for practical considerations.

You can expect my impressions and probably some measurments within 2 weeks:yes:

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #38 (Edited)
Update: Mike confirmed that the drivers were shipped :jump: Thank you Mike for being so prompt in shipping the units as soon as money transfer was performed:hail: I should receive them around June 11th...:waiting:

For the sake of telling bye bye to my old sub., I performed some listening tests (max SPL at listening position) with music today...

My sub is a Jamo X8 sub, 200W RMS with limiter, 12", (visually) Xmax does not seem to be more than 9mm (maybe even less), 2*3" ports around 40. I blocked a port to lower the tune to be around 34 Hz.

So, I put some good dynamic music (50 cent, Sean Paul, Depeche mode...) and amazingly it could hit 117 db digital RS uncorrected with most of the materials in my 1800 '3 room at listening position (4m) :raped: It seems that I had quite underestimated this sub.. Sound depth was good enough for music, everything was shaking....but I must admit that I never felt the WOTW effects most peoples speak about:rolleyesno:

Comparing the above with the upgrade that should be performed soon (10 times more power, 2 drivers, 18", competely different Xmax....):neener: and guess about the results:flex::devil:

Can't wait:heartbeat:

Edit: I made some more tests and the 117 db was mainly (by ear) between 30-40 Hz (axial room mode), although I have the sub equalized, the room offers lots of headroom at these frequencies.
At higher frequencies where I have dips( above 65Hz) it could only hit 110 db(uncorrected)....Still Great, but I will have some bass traps in the future:reading::neener:

·
Registered
452 Posts
In case anyone was wondering what the **** I was prattling on about in an earlier post;

Batting is used in both Quilting, and upholstery. Here is a link to an e-bay sale on some 1-1/4" batting;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Upholstery-Bonded-Dacron-Quilting-Batting-Padding_W0QQitemZ170118058159QQihZ007QQcategoryZ116679QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or a more permanent link;

http://storesonline.com/site/490194/product/BB-CC-1219-ROLL

The advantage of batting is that it can be glued to the walls of the cabinet easily with spray adhesive, and won't bunch up or be pushed around by the air the driver moves.

My suggestion on the bracing is if you are going to brace in the middle of the cabinet with 1"x4" or similar instead of placing the braces parallel to the walls of the cabinet put them at an angle. See the top down view drawing attached. When bracing make the braces a hair bigger than the cabinert width/height so that when you dry fit them they will stay by themselves, but not so big as to distort the walls of the cabinet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Yes, I needed these clarifications!

Thanks Paul!:T

21 - 40 of 183 Posts